PDA

View Full Version : Gamescom (What is ubisoft doing with the story?)

iN3krO
08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
So, altair designed new assassinations methods after he gets to assassin's mentor (after killing al-muhalim in the end of ac1), in gamescom demo, they say it's before ac1 and u can see al-muhalim, why does altair do 2 of those 3 assassination methods he wrote in the codex?

Ubisoft explained one thing in ac1 and 2 and now is proving wrong? this is being a big like resident evil, informations changes between releases and that up the whole game, imagine if in ac3 it says desmond never stabed lucy? or that he had never been reviving altair for templars? -.-''

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

GunnarGunderson
08-25-2011, 10:33 PM
it's one minor detail, but yes they really should have made that mission go a different way

Poodle_of_Doom
08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
If I recall, the new assassination methoods were drawn in a picture. They were new to Ezio. That said, who said when Altair discovered them? Perhaps he always had them, and only passed the knowledge along after he gained control of the Assassin Order?

Calvarok
08-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
So, altair designed new assassinations methods after he gets to assassin's mentor (after killing al-muhalim in the end of ac1), in gamescom demo, they say it's before ac1 and u can see al-muhalim, why does altair do 2 of those 3 assassination methods he wrote in the codex?

Ubisoft explained one thing in ac1 and 2 and now is proving wrong? this is being a big like resident evil, informations changes between releases and that up the whole game, imagine if in ac3 it says desmond never stabed lucy? or that he had never been reviving altair for templars? -.-''

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>
NOTHING in the codex says he INVENTED them then.

His ACTUAL words are "I'm working with Malik to DESCRIBE new methods of assassination".

In fact, Assassin's Creed Bloodlines, which came out before AC2, established that Altair had always known those moves, and used them a week or so after the end of AC1, on Cyprus.

So Ubi has NOT broken any canon.

If you're a football player, and you learn a type of tackle when you're 18, then write a book explaining how to do the tackle, when you're 40, is there anything that doesn't make sense about that?

People who give instructions generally learned what they're teaching a long time ago.

And really, is stabbing a guard from a hay bale, pulling someone off a ledge, or jumping on someone and stabbing them really something that requires great wisdom or a mystical artifact to learn how to do? Altair in the codex says they're basic moves. If he's just learned how to do them, why would he call them basic? He must've learned them early in his training.

I hate how people don't seem to realize that Ubisoft's writers have at least as great a grasp as they do on the various things that have been established in the story, if not MORE.

This is easily provable by the fact that they have an answer ready for every possible question they've ever been asked in an interview. Only things that they had no hand in putting into the game are unanswerable, and there is barely anything that they haven't had their hands in putting into the game. The kind of thing that would escape their notice is like where the environment artists got their inspiration for an original phrase that is written in italian underneath the arch of an unnamed building, or how the name of the font for the animus or little things like that.

You can rest assured that they know everything about the codex and have NOT retconned it.

LightRey
08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
For the last time, Alta´r didn't actually use an areal assassination there. As is clearly seen in the demo, as soon as the killing blow is dealt, you can see Alta´r sheathing his sword, which means that they probably had some sort of sword duel.

Calvarok
08-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
For the last time, Alta´r didn't actually use an areal assassination there. As is clearly seen in the demo, as soon as the killing blow is dealt, you can see Alta´r sheathing his sword, which means that they probably had some sort of sword duel.
This too. Although I don't think that's as much of a problem, since everyone seems to forget that you could do a form of Air assassinate in AC1.

LightRey
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
This too. Although I don't think that's as much of a problem, since everyone seems to forget that you could do a form of Air assassinate in AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's also true. Really there are so many holes in this particular complaint that makes it even more annoying than the regular nagging around here.

Dagio12
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Poodle_of_Doom:
If I recall, the new assassination methoods were drawn in a picture. They were new to Ezio. That said, who said when Altair discovered them? Perhaps he always had them, and only passed the knowledge along after he gained control of the Assassin Order?

i second that. heres my possible 2 cents

a) From a story standpoint, the codex never mentioned "when" Altair learned these moves, only that he "recorded" or drew them into the codex when he started to write things down.. in hopes to carry on every bit of knowledge he had to further generations. It shouldnt be a far-fetched idea that someone as skilled as him couldnt have realized or practiced these techniques before the codex ( before AC1... etc)... lets be real, pulling someone off a ledge or jumping on someone from higher ground is like assassin 101.. it shouldnt take a genius to realize "oh yah, i could totally jump down and kill this guy..."

in all seriousness tho, he could have easily known and/or performed these techniques throughout his life, especially whenever the opportunity arose... and, it was HE who took it upon himself to write/draw them down to pass down the knowledge to others...

story-wise, it makes complete sense.....

b) since Altair is being relived thru Ezio.. thru Desmond.. we are able to relive memories ( of Altair) using new skills we have learned throughout the process of being in the animus...

and as lightrey pointed out ( the actual event may have played out a little different as the cut scene suggests a sword fight happened, not an air assassination.

and thirdly

c) realistically... its a video game (and believe it or not, games adapt, move forward, and improve)... these improvements get carried on throughout newer releases and it would be borderline dumb to just remove all these improvements so a handful of people can have a little "nostalgia-fest" about a character that came out before these new improvements were put in.

the only reason he couldnt do it in AC1 was because the devs hadnt thought of it yet or were not able to implement it into the game, and therefore didnt PROGRAM it into the game.... simple as that.

you can justify it a multiple amount of ways.. but at the end of the day, i think they just wanted to transfer some of the new improvements

(probably things they wished would have already been there back then)

and allow us to experiece Altair with all the skills someone of his status should have had all along.

( this is all my opinion by the way )

ProletariatPleb
08-25-2011, 11:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
This too. Although I don't think that's as much of a problem, since everyone seems to forget that you could do a form of Air assassinate in AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's also true. Really there are so many holes in this particular complaint that makes it even more annoying than the regular nagging around here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, in AC1 you had to be quite low to do an aerial assassination.

kriegerdesgottes
08-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I really really don't want to explain this again but yes, just like rey and everyone else said, it was said no where that Altair was unable to do those things during the course of ACI and the codex never proclaimed that Altair learned those moves later in his life. They simply were not implemented into the original game even though realistically, Altair was able to do those things. That includes swim, air assassinate, and that awesome pull off ledge move that he does.

Calvarok
08-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sidspyker24:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
That's also true. Really there are so many holes in this particular complaint that makes it even more annoying than the regular nagging around here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, in AC1 you had to be quite low to do an aerial assassination. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, but that's more of a control issue than anything else That's like complaining about Altair not going into first person when using eagle vision. Which I assume he won't. And that's all right, because it IS a third person game. And it doesn't make sense for a powerful SIGHT ability to make him unable to move at all. Or when he's on a horse and using it, to make his horse stop dead.

Or lock distances, those have increased from even Ac2. Do we expect him to have all the downgrades, such as a gentle push animation that activates the animation for pushing no matter if you're near a group or not?
(That got fixed in brotherhood so it won't be in Revelations)
Or the specific way he grabbed people? Actually, come to think of it, I can already imagine some forumites complaining about just that.

Meh. I WILL ENDURE THE NEGATIVITY!

ace3001
08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
It is quite possible that he invented the moves way before he actually wrote them down in the codex. Just because Altair didn't do them in AC1, doesn't mean that he didn't know them. You also need to look at it from a gameplay standpoint. Gameplay upgrades don't necessarily have to be sacrificed.
I have even seen people complaining here about Altair climbing in high profile. Do you lot really want that annoying slow climbing again? For once, think of this as a video game, and not just a story. I know the story should be the focus, but no need to "downgrade" the gameplay for the story's sake.
Come to think of it, if there were no gameplay upgrades, the very same people would scream OMG REHASH!!!

<span class="ev_code_RED">Language Please</span>

Altair661
08-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Okay really now? I understand a HUGE change. But seriously? Sometimes people need to except that it's a game. Do you really want to be stuck playing a game where half the game has the same mechanics and gameplay from 4 years ago? I didnt think so. Im really excited to play as Altair, I want him to be different from Ezio in some way. But I dont want it to be Ezio's parts are ACR and Altair's parts are just AC1, like you are saying.

Panfaun
08-26-2011, 01:28 AM

It's just the fact that people can do them now instead of later in a style of progression through Altair's life. In other words, the fact that Altair couldn't do some of those things in Ac1 and that they made it as easy to do in Ac2.

But Wth, I don't care as much as I want to about it. Many other things are there to complain about I suppose.

eagleforlife1
08-26-2011, 02:03 AM
This is the quote from the codex:

...I have also worked with Malik to describe new methods of assassination: from on high, from ledges, and from hiding places. Basic movements, but critical nonetheless...

- pg. 13

It says he described 'new methods of assassination'. So he may have already new of the techniques prior to the events of AC1 but started teaching them to other Assassins after becoming Grand Master.

Panfaun
08-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

...I have also worked with Malik to describe new methods of assassination: from on high, from ledges, and from hiding places. Basic movements, but critical nonetheless...

- pg. 13

It says he described 'new methods of assassination'. So he may have already new of the techniques prior to the events of AC1 but started teaching them to other Assassins after becoming Grand Master.

Then why does he say they're new? And if he knew of the techniques, he'd have used them. The earliest of which kind of happened in that psp port. Basically, it's story sacrificed for gameplay as to not miss those added features that people have grown accustomed to.

About the plot thing again, Altair, when doing air assassinations, can only do so when hanging from a ledge and over a target. Here, he is a mirrored Ezio.

LightRey
08-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Panfaun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

- pg. 13

Then why does he say they're new? And if he knew of the techniques, he'd have used them. The earliest of which kind of happened in that psp port. Basically, it's story sacrificed for gameplay as to not miss those added features that people have grown accustomed to.

About the plot thing again, Altair, when doing air assassinations, can only do so when hanging from a ledge and over a target. Here, he is a mirrored Ezio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Knowing how to use techniques is not the same as understanding them and knowing how to teach them to others. Several of these techniques could very well have come naturally to Alta´r (and possibly other Assassins as well) over time. This really just says that they integrated them into the Assassin training.

rednas3636
08-26-2011, 04:58 AM
well, the gameplay of altair in the demo looked downright boring. i thought they would add something unique to it, cus Alta´r didn't do all that stuff we saw in AC2

eagleforlife1
08-26-2011, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

- pg. 13

About the plot thing again, Altair, when doing air assassinations, can only do so when hanging from a ledge and over a target. Here, he is a mirrored Ezio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were new methods to the Assassin's Order as neither Al Mualim nor any of his predecessors had taught these techniques. But to Altair he already knew of them.

iN3krO
08-26-2011, 06:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panfaun:

- pg. 13

Knowing how to use techniques is not the same as understanding them and knowing how to teach them to others. Several of these techniques could very well have come naturally to Alta´r (and possibly other Assassins as well) over time. This really just says that they integrated them into the Assassin training. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't he use them in ac1? i know it was posible to do air assassinations but the other 2 types are disable in ac1 and one of them is enable in the altair's gameplay of the demo.

Originally posted by Altair661:
Okay really now? I understand a HUGE change. But seriously? Sometimes people need to except that it's a game. Do you really want to be stuck playing a game where half the game has the same mechanics and gameplay from 4 years ago? I didnt think so. Im really excited to play as Altair, I want him to be different from Ezio in some way. But I dont want it to be Ezio's parts are ACR and Altair's parts are just AC1, like you are saying.

If you describe Ac1 with old mechanics i would prefer those old mechanics, at least, altair looked more like a person since you would need to be sighly skilled to be able to be better then the guards (and only counter is just the easier and longer way)...

Ac2/B had somethings good but not everything but, in altair's memories (which i was expecting to be designed for those who prefered Ac1 mechanics) seems to have some of those mechanics (i said seems cuz we have not seen any but we have already seen a canon, at least in my eyes so i can expectate everything from ubisoft now....)

Said this, i love the dialogue with al-muhalim after the mission, just like old times *.*

Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
It is quite possible that he invented the moves way before he actually wrote them down in the codex. Just because Altair didn't do them in AC1, doesn't mean that he didn't know them. You also need to look at it from a gameplay standpoint. Gameplay upgrades don't necessarily have to be sacrificed.
I have even seen people complaining here about Altair climbing in high profile. Do you lot really want that annoying slow climbing again? For once, think of this as a video game, and not just a story. I know the story should be the focus, but no need to "downgrade" the gameplay for the story's sake.
Come to think of it, if there were no gameplay upgrades, the very same people would scream OMG REHASH!!!

This could be explained thought Animus 1.0 -> Animus 2.0 (and now Animus 2.0.3).
I would really like to have it, but look at swim, i wish we continue without being able to swim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sidspyker24:

Yeah, in AC1 you had to be quite low to do an aerial assassination. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, but that's more of a control issue than anything else That's like complaining about Altair not going into first person when using eagle vision. Which I assume he won't. And that's all right, because it IS a third person game. And it doesn't make sense for a powerful SIGHT ability to make him unable to move at all. Or when he's on a horse and using it, to make his horse stop dead.

Or lock distances, those have increased from even Ac2. Do we expect him to have all the downgrades, such as a gentle push animation that activates the animation for pushing no matter if you're near a group or not?
(That got fixed in brotherhood so it won't be in Revelations)
Or the specific way he grabbed people? Actually, come to think of it, I can already imagine some forumites complaining about just that.

Meh. I WILL ENDURE THE NEGATIVITY! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want every downgrade, just some downgrades...

Have you seen Ezio's part? He is hardly injury as the dev says and he can rid off 3 guards easly... HOW THE IS THAT POSIBLE? at least make some challenge? Maybe when ezio's is hardly injury? Just don't make it so easy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif That is the major problem since Ac2 for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

ace3001
08-26-2011, 06:52 AM

This could be explained thought Animus 1.0 -> Animus 2.0 (and now Animus 2.0.3).

Yup. But people are still complaining. Btw, the original one was Animus 1.28. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I would really like to have it, but look at swim, i wish we continue without being able to swim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But why wouldn't you want to swim? =O
Anyway, Altair being unable to swim in Revelations will not make sense, as we're no longer in the first Animus, unless Altair really couldn't swim, which I doubt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Have you seen Ezio's part? He is hardly injury as the dev says and he can rid off 3 guards easly... HOW THE IS THAT POSIBLE? at least make some challenge? Maybe when ezio's is hardly injury? Just don't make it so easy Frown That is the major problem since Ac2 for me FrownFrownFrown True about Ezio's injury. Leandros is like "He's at death's door, finish him", but BAM! Few swipes later, Ezio's would-be-finishers are resting in pieces. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Btw, I don't get this whole thing about AC2/B being easy. Sure, they're easy, but so was AC1. What I don't get is why everyone keeps talking as if AC1 was a hard game. =O

luckyto
08-26-2011, 07:36 AM
This kind of microscopic detail with continuity is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Dagio12
08-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Why didn't he use them in ac1? i know it was posible to do air assassinations but the other 2 types are disable in ac1 and one of them is enable in the altair's gameplay of the demo.

Its a video game... like I said in an earlier post, games evolve and new things get added... etc. He didnt "use" them in AC1 because the developers may not have thought or were not able to implement these moves yet, hence, they were not programmed into the game.
They werent not there because of the story, or because he didnt know how to or whatever, they just werent there becuase they werent part of the game.

Now that the devs have put these techniques into the game, and the story doesnt really suggest that Altair couldnt have known about these techniques yet, it would be silly to just take away all these improvements and downgrade a character to play as he did 4 years ago and not have the abilities that someone as skilled as Altair should have had to begin with.

ProdiGurl
08-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Last night I about saw it all.
I was ready to sign off but clicked to see a new post in the Revelations thread -

[purposely leaving out the name]

>> I like what I am getting....don't like the way I am getting it. I am getting the ULTIMATE BUNDLE from GameStop and the White Edition of the Encyclopedia from the UbiWorkshop. That is quite a haul.....and pricewise it all works out to roughly what I wanted to pay for a nice Collectors Edition of ACR. But on 11/15 I don't get to walk out of GameStop with this cool looking superstud big box with everything neatly packaged together. Rather, I will have my little arms wrapped around all the individual items making up my "bundle" leaving the store looking like a hobo who just raided the joint. Ubisoft's brilliant North America marketing strategy escapes me here......they make us wait until the end of Summer to learn what we will get, and then we don't even get a nice box for our loot. Where is BioMedical Fire??? I can't wait to hear his take on this.<<

Why does Ubi [or any other game co.] owe anyone anything is my Q. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
I guess it's just me, I appreciate what these game companies do for us, I don't sit around about what they didn't serve me, why and how long it took them to do it.

Maybe if people were given an opportunity to see what it takes to get a game created, marketed & distributed... ?
Do people think this happens in the blink of an eye?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Panfaun
08-26-2011, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panfaun:

- pg. 13

Knowing how to use techniques is not the same as understanding them and knowing how to teach them to others. Several of these techniques could very well have come naturally to Alta´r (and possibly other Assassins as well) over time. This really just says that they integrated them into the Assassin training. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never explains why Altair doesn't use them then in the first game. Not does he keep his style of air...well, they were more like dropping assassinations then leaping like him and Ezio do now. and when you make a point you contradict yourself. You say Altair knew, but did not understand, then say they came naturally to him.

Why would they come naturally to him before he became a master assassin? This does take place in the past after all.

SupremeCaptain
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I just hate Altair being turned into an Ezio clone.

MBSulley
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I say he didnt use them in the first game cause they had certain ways of assassinating people, and didn't like those tactics. In the case of the demo, he had to act fast before his master was killed. With limited time he probably didnt care about tradition and did what he needed to do to get the job done fast. I wouldnt complain until he did something like killing a real target with poison before AC1 since that was a tactic that they thought was unhonorable and didnt use until Altair took over.

Calvarok
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM

- pg. 13

Never explains why Altair doesn't use them then in the first game. Not does he keep his style of air...well, they were more like dropping assassinations then leaping like him and Ezio do now. and when you make a point you contradict yourself. You say Altair knew, but did not understand, then say they came naturally to him.

Why would they come naturally to him before he became a master assassin? This does take place in the past after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that he either didn't feel like or didn't have an opportunity to use those abilities, or he did and it's a thing that the animus 1.28 messed up on, just like water making you drown, when he actually could swim according to the lead writers.

Panfaun
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
What tradition is there that says, "not to kill people faster?" these were the people who made it a rule to kill people so that everyone knew who did it. The only thing they ever forbid was poison. Besides, kill him like you want to as long as you did to show everyone else not to mess with you.

@Calvarok, nice example with the water thing. Personally, I think those function under different things. These are techniques while the water thing was a gameplay/different environment...lol, I kinda wanted to jump in water for the hell of it with Altair for the laughs.

Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:

I'm right there with you dude...by the way, who is your profile pic?

SupremeCaptain
08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
What tradition is there that says, "not to kill people faster?" these were the people who made it a rule to kill people so that everyone knew who did it. The only thing they ever forbid was poison. Besides, kill him like you want to as long as you did to show everyone else not to mess with you.

@Calvarok, nice example with the water thing. Personally, I think those function under different things. These are techniques while the water thing was a gameplay/different environment...lol, I kinda wanted to jump in water for the hell of it with Altair for the laughs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:

I'm right there with you dude...by the way, who is your profile pic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Yuan Shao as he appears in Romance of the Three Kingdoms.