PDA

View Full Version : @ Repoman

sunflower1
07-10-2005, 12:06 PM
repoman11

Posted Sun July 10 2005 09:55
"I am so envious. I only live a few miles from a fairly large city, but no broadband is available here. And the phone lines are in very poor condition, limiting me to a 28.8 connection speed. A few months ago the lines developed an intermittent static that will cause my ping to spike, causing me to get ping kicked from almost every server other than GreaterGreen (which I am close to geographically). Either the cost is too great, or the technicians that SBC employs now are too incompetent, but either way SBC is either unwilling or unable to fix the problem. I would move to where broadband is available, but the rental market has gone through the roof, so I really cannot afford to. I wish there were a competitive phone company I could turn to.

Mentioning your internet connection problems to them is a mistake, because they are only required by law to provide you with a 4K connection speed! So if you can connect faster than that, you don't have a problem! ARRGH!
In summary, be glad you aren't me."

I'm glad you mentioned this. I live in Iowa and a few months ago I too began to get kicked from everywhere but Greatergreen. My ping is roughly the same but spikes over 400 enough to get me kicked. If I check pings on HL, nearly all come back around 300 except the odd one well over 500. I have reformatted, even, to troubleshoot and I still can't get a stable ping.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Kazimierz.
07-10-2005, 04:39 PM
try the tools at http://www.dslreports.com unless you already have. It helped me in my dial up days

sunflower1
07-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I will give that a try, thank you.

repoman11
07-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I can't speak for where you are. But when Pacific Bell was turned into SBC, I think most of their qualified (and higher paid) personnel were given their walking papers.

There is a lot of copper between me and the nearest phone center. And less and less incentive for them to keep it up. More and more people are getting rid of their landlines in favor of using their cellular phones and cable internet connections. I had to raise endless h e l l for a static problem I was experiencing which turned out to be a family of mice living in one of the underground cable access points.

They have been granted a monopoly by the state, but they have certain obligations they are supposed to meet. I guess it is time for me to write to the Public Utilities Comission.

Good luck with your situation. And if you don't have a hardware modem, get one. It will make a big difference for you.