PDA

View Full Version : Can I change the resolution without being ingame

Zephyr618
07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
When I start splinter cell conviction it automatically decides to go full screen on a resolution that my monitor can't handle. I have this problem with lots of games. Most of them have a way to change the starting resolution in an .ini file but this doesn't appear to be the case. How can I make the game start at a lower resolution?

KingDaniel0
07-05-2010, 11:39 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, for this you need to manually edit the game's config file, which is ConvictionUserPC.ini. Open this config file i.e. 'ConvictionUserPC.ini' with notepad, and search for the following heading/lines e.g.:

[UserVideoOptions.Your_USER.ACCOUNT_Name]
VisualQuality=2
StartupFullscreen=True
FullscreenViewportX=
FullscreenViewportY=
MaxRefreshRate=60
WindowedViewportX=
WindowedViewportY=
UseVSync=False
UseHDR=True
MonitorAspect=-1.000000......

Enter the correct values of your Desktop's screen resolution inside the 'FullscreenViewportX/Y=' lines and save this file. The above config file can be found here: C:\ProgramData\Ubisoft\Conviction\ConvictionUserPC .ini.

These Folders may be 'Hidden' under Windows, so make a note of this. First Patch the game to the latest version, and then try entering these values.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zephyr618
07-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I've already tried that and unfortunately it did not work. For some reason it still ran on a resolution too high for my monitor. Before you ask, I know what resolutions my monitor can handle. I know it can handle 1280x1024 and even 1600x1024 if u mess with it to lower the refresh rate to like 55Hz.

Sinfull661
07-05-2010, 01:47 PM
KingDaniel0 Can you change the resolution lower than it can be changed in game somehow(example 320x480?)?
Edit Also is the ini. your talking about in a different place or named different for vista?

Zephyr618
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't see how taking it that low would help. What in saying is I don't think changing those parameters in the .ini file didn't make it run in the right resolution. It didn't seem to do anything.

Sinfull661
07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Zephry618.