PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Learning The Ropes Of IL2

mattbuck1981
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
I have a couple of questions. Sorry for being a noob newbie, but everyone has to start somewhere.

1. Im using tullys x52 config, much better than the default one, id setup my own controls but i still dont know what some of them mean. So flaps, what are they all about? Same with the radiator, no idea what they are for.

2. Using tullys config the air brake doesnt seem to work, also how does it work?

3. How to stop engine from overheating, i dont use the boost thing but it still overheats?

4. I get lost all to easy, and fly off the map. How can i keep track of where im going when the map is so small.

5. When im supposed to fly in formation, some bloke keeps telling me im off course, shouting vector this and something that. What they hell is he going on about? I try to follow as best i can but i find flying in a straight line near on impossible.

6. How can i keep track of how much ammo i have left?

Thats it for now, but ill be back with more noob questions im sure.

mattbuck1981
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
I have a couple of questions. Sorry for being a noob newbie, but everyone has to start somewhere.

1. Im using tullys x52 config, much better than the default one, id setup my own controls but i still dont know what some of them mean. So flaps, what are they all about? Same with the radiator, no idea what they are for.

2. Using tullys config the air brake doesnt seem to work, also how does it work?

3. How to stop engine from overheating, i dont use the boost thing but it still overheats?

4. I get lost all to easy, and fly off the map. How can i keep track of where im going when the map is so small.

5. When im supposed to fly in formation, some bloke keeps telling me im off course, shouting vector this and something that. What they hell is he going on about? I try to follow as best i can but i find flying in a straight line near on impossible.

6. How can i keep track of how much ammo i have left?

Thats it for now, but ill be back with more noob questions im sure.

tigertalon
01-31-2007, 03:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattbuck1981:
I have a couple of questions. Sorry for being a noob newbie, but everyone has to start somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, nothing to be ahame about. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattbuck1981:
So flaps, what are they all about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flaps are some kind of slats on trailing edge of the wing. They are usually manually operated, and basicaly they increase lift, but also increase drag. So, the idea is to use them at take off and landing. If you fiddle with them, you will see 3 settings (on most planes): 'combat', 'takeoff' and 'landing'. Use accordingly.

Same with the radiator, no idea what they are for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's for cooling down the engine. Open rads, and you allow the largest possible flow of outside air to cool down the engine, close them and you don't cool the engine any more (btw, planes always start with closed rads, that's why you are overheating). You have a few intermediate settings too. However, more you open them, more drag and consequently lower performance your plane will achieve.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, can't help you on tullys settings, but airbrakes are usually used when divebombing, to prevent your aircraft from diving too fast. It's a toggle device "extend/retract".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

see above

4. I get lost all to easy, and fly off the map. How can i keep track of where im going when the map is so small. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the map, look at the rivers/lakes etc, use instruments. There is plenty of tips for flying at airwarfare (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/il2_fb.htm) .

5. When im supposed to fly in formation, some bloke keeps telling me im off course, shouting vector this and something that. What they hell is he going on about? I try to follow as best i can but i find flying in a straight line near on impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will soon get better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

6. How can i keep track of how much ammo i have left? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, unless you are flying a plane with an indicator (most german/italian fighters), you can't. Simply rely on your feeling... On a plane like P47, fire one quad of MGs for a sec or two first, then fire all together. At the end, first quad will run out sooner and thus alert you the second quad is about to end also. J2M3 has 190 rpg for inner cannons, and 210 for outer.

Thats it for now, but ill be back with more noob questions im sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to help, bring them on. Ah, and btw, wellcome to the madness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

AlGroover
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Very few aircraft have airbrakes (dive brakes) the Stuka being one. Not sure but you may have to bind a key to it in the controls section. You can resize the in flight map by right clicking your mouse on it and for now run with map icons and flightpaths.

FritzGryphon
01-31-2007, 04:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I get lost all to easy, and fly off the map. How can i keep track of where im going when the map is so small. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you need to zoom out of the map, using right click.

mattbuck1981
01-31-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks Tiger you have been a big help.

I have now started to get less overheats, and even managed to make the map bigger, so i know where im going.

Any tips on how to avoid stalling whilst fighting other air craft/stalling in general. On normal i seem to get shot down before i can position a good shot.

Also, any tips for losing a fighter on my arse? I managed it last time by stalling twice, but somehow getting out of it but id prefer a more traditional method.

What does vector and the other thing mean?

How do i know when the missions are over? When it says mission complete? Because there still seems to be more planes flying about. Also, when finished do i quit, or return to base and land? I have yet to try landing.

Just in case anyone doesnt know, im playing the very first il2 sturmovik game.

mattbuck1981
01-31-2007, 05:33 AM
Ah thought of some more.

When flying to certain piont, what should my engine power be at?

When approaching enemy planes, should i try to learn to dive and shoot? If i do this, how do i do it without stalling? Should i drop engine power to 0 before diving?

If my plane is damaged should i try to return to base?

Is it possible to play the first il2 game online?

FritzGryphon
01-31-2007, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When approaching enemy planes, should i try to learn to dive and shoot? If i do this, how do i do it without stalling? Should i drop engine power to 0 before diving? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, attacking in a dive is effective. Then use your accumulated airspeed to climb up afterwards.

Don't reduce your throttle unless you're reaching dangerous speeds (700+). If you miss, you can just climb back up, and try again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If my plane is damaged should i try to return to base? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's degrading your ability to fly, it's a good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When flying to certain piont, what should my engine power be at? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as required for the speed you want. If you want fuel efficient cruising, use higher altitudes, and fly between 300-500km/h (varies widely by plane).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Avoid stalling </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mainly keep speed up. When at low speeds, avoid hard turning. Tactics are mainly about keeping as much speed and altitude as possible. Being slow near the ground=lose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Losing fighter on arse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a more manueverable plane, a continuous turn in either direction will work. If your plane is faster, then running away will work. The AI is also afraid of the ground, so a steep dive or a half-loop toward the ground will sometimes make it go away.

It's most effective to stay above the enemies when possible, so they can't attack you at all.

Vector means direction (see heading indicator on bottom left). Keep in mind most of those radio messages either don't apply to you, or won't be helpful even if they are. Should navigate by your own map instead.

Missions are over when you see 'mission complete' on the screen. You can then simply quit the mission right then, or land if you want. You only have to complete your mission objective, which is stated in the briefing, not shoot down all planes.

rnzoli
01-31-2007, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it possible to play the first il2 game online? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Only with very limited number of players. There are a dozen of them in the UBI.com area. Compare that with thousands in Hyperlobby....