PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Game advice please

Tenacious_Green
11-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Following my recent warm welcome to this forum and friendly advice I wish to pick your brains for further info and advice if I may.

As a new player I am slowing getting to grips with the game and thoroughly enjoying myself, however my one concern over the game is that I don't know how well I've done or whether I've completed a mission. After I've landed I just sit there waiting for something to happen, but it doesn't so I just esc out and start again. Am I doing anything wrong?

Secondly the instructions I got (PDF as part of installation )are not too in depth when it comes to controls, use of map and icon (havn't a clue how to activate or use icons)and also how to properly complete missions.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Tully__
11-21-2004, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tenacious_Green:
..After I've landed I just sit there waiting for something to happen, but it doesn't so I just esc out and start again. Am I doing anything wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's correct.

If the mission designer has done his job correctly, the briefing will tell you what you have to do to succeed in the mission. It may be as simple as just reaching your destination and returning alive (a renaisance mission) or as difficulty as wiping out a whole group of well protected targets.

If you have the difficulty setting "No Instant Success" turned off, it doesn't matter what the actual mission is, all you have to do is survive it. With that setting on, if you're in a campaign you wont be able to proceed to the next mission in the campaign without completing the actual mission goal.

The first things to know about the in flight map are:
Right click to zoom out in stages, one stage per click. Once you reach maximum zoom, further clicks will zoom in one stage at a time.
Left click & drag to move the visible portion of the map around.
Click and drag with both mouse buttons to move the map frame around on your screen.

Use of the map will vary with your difficulty settings and the available settings may differ a bit depending which version of the game you're flying.

There are two difficulty settings relating directly to map use, they are "No Map Icons" and "No Minimap Path".

With both turned on, you will have a map but no information about where to go, where the targets are or where you are. If you fly with these settings you'll need to make very careful notes in the briefing screen.

If you turn off "No Minimap Path", you'll have a white plane showing when you open the map in flight indicating your current location and a layout of your course as shown in the briefing.

If you turn off the "No Map Icons" difficulty setting, the location of all ground & air units will show on the map and each time you open it, it will be centered on the aircraft you're currently viewing or viewing from (usually your own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

Icons (as opposed to map icons) will only be available if the "No Icons" difficulty setting is turned off. If you have that setting turned off and you're not seeing icons (labels showing aicraft type/range/number/team), there's also a keyboard control "Toggle Icons". Make sure you have a key assigned to this control and tap it a few times. There are three levels of icon information or no icons available in the "Toggle Icons" setting cycle.

For more complete control over icons you may like to give this article (click here) (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ_Pilots.htm#006%20How%20do%20I%20customise%20ic ons) a read.

Feel free to ask about other controls as you need, or do a quick search of the forum. Some will answer or has already answered most questions.

Tenacious_Green
11-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks Tully, Very helpful indeed.