PDA

View Full Version : Knock knock knocking on Cyan's... er... Myst.

bowendesign
07-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Well, Myst IV had contextual sounds when surfaces were tapped on. Games like HL2 have the same when interacting with objects in 3D.

So, do you think Myst V should continue this new feature? Could it?

It'd be nice, it's unimportant, but it'd be nice...

bowendesign
07-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Well, Myst IV had contextual sounds when surfaces were tapped on. Games like HL2 have the same when interacting with objects in 3D.

So, do you think Myst V should continue this new feature? Could it?

It'd be nice, it's unimportant, but it'd be nice...

Mowog
07-14-2005, 07:17 AM
When I discovered that feature in Myst IV, I had a good laugh, and a "Wow, COOL!!!" Then I went around tapping on stuff, and had a good time.

BUT - when it came to game play, I found that the sounds really weren't all that essential.

For example, it would have been a neat trick if we'd had a clue that one object from a group was essential to a puzzle solution, and that that one object was different from the others in some way, even though they were all identical in appearance; say, picking one full jar from a collection of otherwise empty ones. We could have identified that jar by tapping it, and noticing the different sound it made.

Or another example... we come across a clue consisting of a numbered list of materials, say metal, glass, wood, etc. We'd then have to find a group of otherwise identical items and tap them in the correct sequence, just working by sound.

On the other hand, making puzzle solutions dependent on sounds excludes hearing-impaired players. Which doesn't mean much in this context, since Cyan/Ubi have used sounds for several puzzles in the past. Even if we missed them at the time... meaning the tram in Selenitic.

Anyway, thanks! Interesting topic.

LobsterGumbo
07-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Good post Mowog if only you had been on the developing team

bowendesign
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Hear, hear. *pun intended* Great ideas, actually.

I think it's important to create a sense of immersion. This feature isn't important (unless implemented as per your post, Mowog), but its fun. Part of the joy in Riven et al was rolling things about, interacting and pushing stuff. Now it's 3D it'll be good to see what Cyan come up with beyond the rather limited and frankly naff stuff you could do in Uru.

Mowog
07-15-2005, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now it's 3D it'll be good to see what Cyan come up with beyond the rather limited and frankly naff stuff you could do in Uru. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Naff it may have been, but I still think that the physics features we saw in Uru were only a prelude to future goodies that never happened. As I've mentioned in previous posts, Uru was intended to set the stage for a grand, long-running saga of an adventure that would keep us busy for years. Alas, all we really got was a character introduction and Act One, followed by an all too brief wrap-up using the existing sets, plus some extra scenery... and with only one actor, out of a promised cast of hundreds.

All of that to say that I think there surely must have been some really clever applications of the physics engine in Uru's future, and all we really saw was the proof of concept.

mszv
07-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah,I don't want a sound puzzle per say, but I'd like stuff to have sounds! I like the whole immersion thing.

mr._hacker_dude
07-26-2005, 06:17 PM
The tapping feature was a little bit annoying. Sometimes there would be things that I wanted to press or grab and I wound up tapping instead and having to wait for a whole second (my time is valuable, dammit) for it to end. I did really like the 3d sound though. Especially with head phones. It made me feel like I was part of the world.

compucat35
07-28-2005, 08:22 AM
It's hard for me to envision playing Myst without the creepy/upbeat music. And touching little chimes, desks, etc. do make it feel more life like. But I agree..having a game depend on completing a sound puzzle is asking for some trouble from some players.

bowendesign
07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Maybe, but I do think Myst needs more cowbell.

mr._hacker_dude
07-30-2005, 03:15 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Totally. Atrus, you've got what appears to be a dynamite world but it could use some more cowbell...

bowendesign
07-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Announcer: After a single staggering defeat, Cyan Inc. assembled in the development chambers during late 2003 for a session with famed designer Rand Miller. And, luckily for us, the cameras were rolling.

Rand Miller: Alright, guys, I think we're ready to nail this last game down. By the way, my name is Rand Miller. Yes, the Rand Miller. And I gotta tell you: fellas.. you have got what appears to be a dynamite game soundtrack!

Ryan Miller: Coming from you, Rand, that means a lot.

Tim Larkin: Yeah. I mean, you're Rand Miller!

Jack Wall: It's incredible!

Rawa: I can't believe Rand Miller digs our work!

Rand Miller: Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make hit interactive entertainment. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "Myst V" - take one. [ exits into the spider chair ]

[ the group begins to work. Tim slaps the drums, Ryan jams his guitar, and Jack bangs on a cowbell. ]

Ryan: [ distracted by Jack banging the cowbell ] Okay! Wait! Wait! [ the group cuts off their instruments ] Rand, could you come in here for a minute, please?

Rand Miller: [ stepping out of the booth ] That was gonna be a great track. Guys, what's the deal?

Ryan: Are you sure that was sounding okay?

Rand Miller: I'll be honest.. fellas, it was sounding great. But.. I could've used a little more cowbell. So.. let's take it again.. and, Jack.

Jack: Yeah?

Rand Miller: Really explore the studio space this time. I mean, really.. explore the space. I like what I'm hearing.

[ the group starts the song again, as Jack bangs more wildly onto the cowbell while dancing crazily. In the booth, Rand Miller is smiling to keep from laughing. Before the session is interrupted, Jack misses a beat on his cowbell.]

Ryan: Okay, wait! Stop! I'm sorry. Rand, could you come back in here, please?

Rand Miller: [ stepping out of the booth ] Fellas.. now, we just wasted two good tracks! That last one was even better than the first!

Ryan: Well, it's just that I find Jack's cowbell playing distracting! If I'm the only one, I'll shut up.

Tim: It was pretty rough..

Jack: You know, I could pull back a little. If you'd like.

Rand Miller: Not too much, though! Fellas, I'm telling you - you're gonna want that cowbell on the track!

Jack: You know what? It's fine. Let's just do this thing.

[ the band starts the song once more, with Jack banging the cowbell right next to Ryan ear until Jack pushes him, causing Elton John to fall ]

Ryan: [ stopping the song again, fighting Jack ] Come on, people!

Rand Miller: [ running out of the booth again ] That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!

Rawa: [ grabs Jack's shirt ] Don't blow this for us, Jack!

Tim: [ cracks up ] Yeah, quit being so selfish, Jack!

Jack: Can I just say one thing?

Rand Miller: Say it, baby. Say it.

Jack: I'm standing here, staring at Rand Miller!

Rand Miller: The **** of the walk, baby!

Jack: And if Rand Miller wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

Rand Miller: Say it, baby!

Jack: And, Ryan, you are right - I am being selfish. But the last time I checked, we don't have a whole lot of games that feature the cowbell.

Rand Miller: I gotta have more cowbell, baby!

Jack: ..and I'll be doing myself a disservice -- [begins to slightly laugh. Tim Larkinturns away and bites down on his drumstick to keep from laughing] -- and every member in this band, if I don't perform the hell out of this.

Rand Miller: Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!

Jack: Thanks, Bruce. But I think, maybe if I just leave.. and, maybe I'll come back later, and we can lay down the cowbell. [ starts to leave the studio ]

Rand Miller: Aw, baby..

Ryan: Jack, wait! Why don't you lay down that cowbell right now. With us. Together.

[ everyone agrees ]

Jack: Do you mean that, Eric?

Rawa: He speaks for all of us.

Jack: Thank you.

Rand Miller: Babies.. before we're done here.. y'all be wearing gold-plated diapers.

Rawa: [ confused ] What does that mean?

Rand Miller: Never question Rand Miller! Roll it! [ exits back to spider chair ]

Ryan: [ ready to lay the complete track down ] 1, 2, 3, 4.

[ the band starts up again, this time Jack is playing the cowbell in tune with the band. Close-up on Jack as he bangs the cowbell to freeze-frame with graphic: "Never could live up to Ryan Miller" ]