PDA

View Full Version : The "Ideas for Themed Servers" thread.

ImpStarDuece
05-02-2005, 06:50 AM
I am writing this in the hopes of inspiring some of the great mission builders and server hosts out there.

With the current plane set there are almost limitless aircraft and theatre matchups available to fly. However, I tend to find that the most popular servers are the 1944 late war Western Front servers and the ubiquitous Dogfight rooms. Why? THINK OF ALL THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES!

A snapshot of Hyperlobby at the moment (9.30 Tokyo time) and UK-Dedicated1, 334th_Dedicated, greatergreen and MULTI-COMBAT share abut 80% of the 100 or so players. There are 20 odd servers with no-one in them. Yes, I know that most of the US and Europe is asleep at the moment but its still a rarity to find more then 500 players on at a time.

The "We need a good late-war eastern front FR DF server" and the "Spits_vs_109s, Full difficulty and no icons gets popular!" threads has got me thinking; what other possibilites do you want to see in themed servers? Do you crave something different? Is there a theatre that you would like to see a dedicated server for?

Personally, I would really like to see a Nothern Africa mission based server, particularly something set around the Operation Torch landings. P-39s, P-40s, P-38s, Spitfire LF Vs, Spitfire IXc, Hurricane IIcs, Martlets, Seafires and F4Fs Vs 190A4s, 110Gs, 109F and Gs, Cr.42s and G.50s. If the ClubMed Italian birds and Spitfire Vc ever arrive this would be a simply stunning set up (in my eyes at least)

So, does anyone else have anything that they REALLY want to see running as a server?

Tallyho1961
05-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Ditto on the North African server idea, ImpStarDeuce. I love that theatre and from an online perspective, it's pretty hard to hide when you're flying over those dunes - perfect for a no icon setup like Spits vs. 109s. I also assume a desert map would be easier on our CPUs giving very smooth gameplay, but that's just a hunch.

pacettid
05-02-2005, 07:40 AM
From a DF server perspective, I would love to support maps like this on the FA_FISC server, but the lack of default desert skins, including the ones we need for stationary aircraft, is a bit of a stumbling block, as we do not allow custom plane and pilot skins.

Monson74
05-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Yes - this is a very good idea! We could start with Italy declaring war in '40 with the early Italian fighters vs Hurris & then move onwards to the invasion of NA. With a little "map-bending" we might even be able to do an "Anzio-setting".

Another idea would be a battle of Guadalcanal with all the 1939-1942 planes. Then again: It's been a while since we've been to Stalingrad - so there's another one. The '43 Channel Front is also interesting. Hmmm... - can't think of anymore right now.

MystiqBlackCat
05-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Amen my Brothers, PREACH IT!

As much fun as the Western Front and Zeke vs. Wildcat servers are it has been quite a while since I have flown a PVO mission over Leningrad.

I'd like to see some 42-43 Eastern and Western Front maps. Not quite uber birds that are pretty competitive. Late war planes generally are faster and less maneuverable. I'd really enjoy flting some Mig-3's vs 109F's, G's and early FW190's. The late LAGGs and Yak 9 variants also seem like alot of fun.

Along with that the allies could still use A-20s and B-25s as some were exported to the Eastern Front.

An Eastern Front map with 41-42 planes sound awful intruiging as well. P-40B/C/E's P-39's, Yaks, Laggs, IL-2s (OMG!!) 109's 110's 190's... the possibilities seem pretty bright, man I hope to see some of these ideas come to fruition. Wish I was decent at making missions.

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Build the maps, and I will gladly setup a server for you to run them on. I can give you access to the missions dirs so that you can upload them and put them into rotation yourself. The most time consuming part of running a server is the mission/map building. So if anyone is interested, drop me a line. Also, might be a good idea to read through this guide, http://www.war-clouds.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=388 , it gives you the ins and outs of creating a FBD mission and creating a smooth playing map.

S~

xTHRUDx
05-02-2005, 02:51 PM
at Greater Green, we use themed days in our mission cycle:

Monday - Ground Pounder (missions which require heavy bombers to accomplish victory)
Tuesday - Pacific Theatre
Wednsday - General (a mix of server favorites)
Thursday - Eastern Theatre (Russian front)
Friday - Dogfighter (missions which focus on the better dogfighting aircraft)
Saturday - Western Europe Theatre
Sunday - General (a mix of server favorites)

If you aren't a fan of a particular day, do not worry... Themed missions will still incorporate all facets of air warfare. But, the missions will be based on their theatre/category for each day. The mission cycle will change at 2AM on each day.

vocatx
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I found two servers the other night that were an absolute blast. One had Hurricane Mk.1s, Gladiators, Cr 42s, and TB-3s based in Malta. That's all. There were only me and five others there, but it was a great time. Another used the New Guinea map and had a mix of early war aircraft. I spent the better part of 45 minutes dogfighting a pair of Zeros.

I'm new to online, but even offline, I enjoy flying what a lot of people call "**** planes". They're slow, usually underarmed, but most of them turn well, and when a person is after action, the up close and personal turn-fighting will get the adrenaline flowing.

Just my two cents.
S!

flakwagen
05-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:

I'm new to online, but even offline, I enjoy flying what a lot of people call "**** planes". They're slow, usually underarmed, but most of them turn well, and when a person is after action, the up close and personal turn-fighting will get the adrenaline flowing.

Agreed. I think a server that features open cockpit and biplane aircraft would be a hoot. I suppose a few of the earliest closed cockpit monoplane fighters could be thrown in for good measure. I've seen a P11 make mincemeat out of an Emil. I know nothing about the experience levels of the respective pilots, but it was a real hoot.

Flak

Galland

HotelBushranger
05-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Personally, I would really like to see a Nothern Africa mission based server, particularly something set around the Operation Torch landings. P-39s, P-40s, P-38s, Spitfire LF Vs, Spitfire IXc, Hurricane IIcs, Martlets, Seafires and F4Fs Vs 190A4s, 110Gs, 109F and Gs, Cr.42s and G.50s. If the ClubMed Italian birds and Spitfire Vc ever arrive this would be a simply stunning set up (in my eyes at least)

Amen brother! I'm so sick of 44 planesets! Its getting reaally ridiculous, every server is the same. And NONE use the desert map. Your suggestion is the best IMO. A much earlier planeset on my favourite theatre. I suppose the reason why these haven't worked in the past is because most people are pussies who can't fly a MANS aircraft! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Early planesets = more fun. Whenever a server is flown in the majority by 45/uber planes, a couple of my mates, WTE_Chunders especially, and myself, hop into Gladiators and own the lot of em http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Those things can turn on a dime, it's amazing.

Dunno if I've covered this or not, but we need earlier planesets! A North Africa online dogfight or coop map is a must, and perhaps an improvised Med theatre would be beaut!

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bolillo_loco
05-03-2005, 04:48 AM
yes the african desert maps are usually popular as well as a biplane only map. I do not host games like I use to, but I have some 1941 and 1942 desert maps with historical plane sets. I remember it to be quite popular when I use to host. then again, so were most of my maps :O people simply hate me and enjoy killing me :O

err seriously the desert map and all of the "online maps" especially the older FB maps are much easier for everybodyies computers to render. most people always say how nicely my maps run and it is usually from people with very old (by todays standards) computers. historical plane sets are nice because it limits the number of a/c available, hence most people are in the same a/c on each side or 2 different a/c per sice.......completely eliminates game pauses and this was back in the days when my host computer was a PIII @ 1.6Ghz (tualatin core) 115 fsb sdram..yep pc 100..........1,536mb it hosted a lot of my multiplayer games over the past year and a half of playing this game.

Jumoschwanz
05-03-2005, 05:23 AM
I miss the early eastern front servers like we had in the first year this sim was online.
An IL2 nostalgia server, with planesets limited to eastern front and 1941 or 1940 and earlier, on the online summer 1 or 2 maps would be my bag baby....S!

Jumoschwanz

Antonio_MRZ
05-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Agree about the Med-Desert theater.

One could prepare a set of skins to be used by players.

I might cotribute by building a couple of missions, I already have some ideas... :-)

Antonio

The190Flyer
05-03-2005, 08:21 AM
3 of the most themes I would like to see would be the following:

1. 43-44 Western Front Server with strictly USAAF vs. Luftwaffe (since thats my fav. area of WWII air combat.

2. Jan. 1st 1945 Operation Bodenplatte kinda theme, I think it would be cool if somebody did this!

3. North Afrika yes I agree with yall, this would be a great operation, wish we had a Tunisa map or something along those lines.

Da_Godfatha
05-03-2005, 01:20 PM
The problem with the desert is, you would not (historicaly speaking) have a Whine-0-nine g-6 Late. The LW boys would cry a river without their 30mm cannons... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

I like the North Afrika theme the best. Spit 5`s, P-40`s and Italian aircraft, now that would rock!

ImpStarDuece
05-04-2005, 02:00 AM
So far Nth Africa seems to be the most popular theatre we are missing out on.

Anybody got any other good ideas? Come on, keep them coming. Maybe you will be able to fly EXACTLY the match-ups that you want/like to fly.

Does anyone have any Pacific match-ups that they think would be good.

Personally, I think a Darwin based server with Zeros vs Spitfires could be quite entertaining.

Monson74
05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
So far Nth Africa seems to be the most popular theatre we are missing out on.

Anybody got any other good ideas? Come on, keep them coming. Maybe you will be able to fly EXACTLY the match-ups that you want/like to fly.

Does anyone have any Pacific match-ups that they think would be good.

Personally, I think a Darwin based server with Zeros vs Spitfires could be quite entertaining.

Yes - as I wrote: The Guadalcanal campaign could be an interesting theatre. When Betty shows up we could do some early Singapore & Burma. Hawks vs Oscars would be great too for a simple furball scenario.

PBNA-Boosher
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Don't forget about these matchups!

P-40 vs. 109/190

P-51A vs. 109/190

Val vs. SBD

A-24 (SBD) vs. Stuka

TB-3 vs. TB-3

B-25 vs. He-111

Tomahawk IIb & c/F2A-2 vs. Ki-43

SPB TB-3/I-16 vs. SPB TB-3/ I-16

Cr.42 vs. J8A