PDA

View Full Version : Red Baron for sale

Doug_Thompson
02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Denver millionaire selling the world's largest known collection of Red Baron-related artifacts, including his flight jacket, according to Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3502906)

Waldo.Pepper
02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Wow! Thanks!

Well that answers that!!

Enforcer572005
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I didnt know any of hte trophy cups survived. the silver shortange resulted in them being smaller as time went on, but they are priceless. most were lost when their property in eastern germany was overun by the soviet army. God knows what happened to most of that stuff.

Doug_Thompson
02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
I didnt know any of hte trophy cups survived. the silver shortange resulted in them being smaller as time went on, but they are priceless. most were lost when their property in eastern germany was overun by the soviet army. God knows what happened to most of that stuff.

If a genie told me I could have one and only one artifact of the First World War, it would be the trophy cup Ricthofen had made for shooting down Lanoe Hawker.

This was the first news of any of the cups surviving that I'd heard, either. IIRC, not only did they keep getting smaller, but some of the very last ones were made out of steel because silver was so scarce.