PDA

View Full Version : More on simulated lens flare

Lurch1962
01-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Leit's earlier post re. lens flare and its further hindrance on seeing into the sun got me to thinking...

I can see why he says it more "realistically" impinges on vision. The addition of the simulated internal lens reflections on the already bright sky in the vicinity of the sun does increase that brightness level further.

In lieu of a *truly* blinding light source, it does help to impair up-sun vision.

But in other respects the lens flare is not realistic--it's a concession to cinematic aesthetics, and represents internally reflected ghost images of a lens aperture. Our eyes are not multi-element zoom lenses with a pentagon-shaped multi-bladed iris diaphragm. Moreover, the variety of colours of the ghosts are inspired by *modern* multi-layer dielectric optical coatings which did not exist in the '40's.

For some time I did have the effect enabled, but eventually decided that those modern looking ghost images were more appropriate to the movies.

Lurch1962
01-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Leit's earlier post re. lens flare and its further hindrance on seeing into the sun got me to thinking...

I can see why he says it more "realistically" impinges on vision. The addition of the simulated internal lens reflections on the already bright sky in the vicinity of the sun does increase that brightness level further.

In lieu of a *truly* blinding light source, it does help to impair up-sun vision.

But in other respects the lens flare is not realistic--it's a concession to cinematic aesthetics, and represents internally reflected ghost images of a lens aperture. Our eyes are not multi-element zoom lenses with a pentagon-shaped multi-bladed iris diaphragm. Moreover, the variety of colours of the ghosts are inspired by *modern* multi-layer dielectric optical coatings which did not exist in the '40's.

For some time I did have the effect enabled, but eventually decided that those modern looking ghost images were more appropriate to the movies.

SeaFireLIV
01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Not sure why you`ve started this one up again in a new thread. If you`re hoping for a coherent argument from Leitmotiv, I`m not sure you`ll get it. He seems in a funny mode at the moment.

However, I agree with you, and it`s why I also disabled it.

leitmotiv
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I use it because there is nothing to replace it. Without it I can look right into the sun and spot an ambush which kills any fantasy of realism. What is needed is dazzle with lingering impaired vision for about 30 seconds or whatever the medical data says for this.

Divine-Wind
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmmm... What's this about lens flare now? New feature in 4.09? I don't recall a lens flare setting in Il-2...

Sorry, I've been out of touch with our alternate reality for a while. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Friendly_flyer
01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to simulate a biological flare, something like ghost images of the sun and blackening of the areas outside the sun?

Capt.LoneRanger
01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
The lense-flare is in the game since the original IL2. It is nothing realistic, though, cause it simulates the lense-reflection of a camera and I doubt there were any planes in IL2 that were flown by robots or people with an artificial eye.

You can set it to 0 or 1 in the conf.ini.

Divine-Wind
01-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Ah.... I guess I really have been out of touch...

Covino
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Doesn't the lens flare... the camera lens effect turn off in the cockpit view?

zardozid
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I use it because there is nothing to replace it. Without it I can look right into the sun and spot an ambush which kills any fantasy of realism. What is needed is dazzle with lingering impaired vision for about 30 seconds or whatever the medical data says for this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when I look into the sun (sans lens flare) I get a "white-out"...I don't see any detail.