PDA

View Full Version : Trackir question

Colwell1199
03-18-2006, 11:00 AM
<S> All

For all of you that have a trackir, i just got my trackir 3 pro and the following questions are do i have to active the Vector Expansion for my trackir 3 pro? and once i get the darn thing running, do i have to set it up in IL-2 like my HAT buttons or will it work on its own.
Thanks for the help
<S> All
Hawkeye

T_O_A_D
03-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Yes if you purchaced the VECTOR expansion for it, it will of came with some sort of registry key of some sort. I don't have it, so I've done that part.

No, it will work on its own seperate from your Hats. Now you can program your hats for others stuff. I used my main hat for Zoom, Wide, Normal, and the Shift F1 views. Came natural to do that since I was used to using the Hat to look with anyways.

Also check out my sig I have my profile in the top link , if you care to try it. Although it is not setup for all the Vector angles though.Also a tuteral from Charvel on the second link.

Good luck enjoy and welcome to the club.

Colwell1199
03-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks TOAD!!!! I will read those links and get this darn thing working.
<S>
Hawkeye

blakduk
03-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Colwell1199:
<S> All

For all of you that have a trackir, i just got my trackir 3 pro and the following questions are do i have to active the Vector Expansion for my trackir 3 pro? and once i get the darn thing running, do i have to set it up in IL-2 like my HAT buttons or will it work on its own.
Thanks for the help
<S> All
Hawkeye

Colwell1199 (or is it Hawkeye?)- if you purchased the vector expansion there should be piece of paper with a code on it, that's what unlocks the software for the vector expansion. It will include other instructions as well.
You don't need the vector expansion to make the TrackIR work- the Il2 series doesn't support 6DOF. It does however make the trackIR more stable- for example it will not rotate your view if you move laterally.
Il2 has support for the TrackIR in the game so it is easy to setup- you'll notice when its activated that a blue light will show on the trackIR. That indicates that the game automatically knows what device to use for view control.
Now you have a set of Hat switches to reassign... Enjoy the madness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PriK
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Just to add to what's been stated already here...

IL2 does not support 6DOF. However, it does support the vector expansion.

In other words you will not get X,Y,Z, Roll axes since IL2 does not support them but you will get 2DOF which is a much more efficient way of interpreting your head movement - using the 3 dots of the vector - over the standard one-dot interpretation. The end result is more precision, especially as you approach the outside limits of movement (i.e. looking to the sides and behind) and subsequently a more stable view.

WWSensei
03-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Also, make sure in the conf.ini file under the [rts] section that the flag trackIRUse=1 and not set equal to zero.

Colwell1199
03-19-2006, 07:09 PM
so if i use 3 dots instead of the 1 dot, it will give me better performance? Can i put all 3 dots right nexts to each other....and yes its Hawkeye http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blakduk
03-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Hawkeye (I assume the name was already taken when you registered http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)- the answer is no.
Putting extra dots next to each other will just mess up the tracking- the TrackIR will alternate between them according to which is the most reflective and your tracking will be very unstable.
Unlocking the software is what's required- and the only way to do that is with the vector expansion codes.

Colwell1199
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
rgr that, i'll do that tonight. How much does this vector expansion cost? How do u know me?

blakduk
03-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hawkeye- you can get the vector expansion here:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-Vector-PRO.html
I have ordered their products directly from this site and it has worked out cheaper than if i bought them in Australia. They used to have a discount offer but i cant see it advertised currently- check out airwarfare.com, there is an article that reviews trackIR and at the head of the article is a banner advertisement for the unit that has a discount offer on it. I dont know if this applies to the vector expansion or just to the unit.

blakduk
03-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Hawkeye- of course i know you! Didnt you work as a dishevelled, womanising, hard-drinking doctor during the Korean war?

Colwell1199
03-19-2006, 08:36 PM
So if this thing runs w/o vector expansion, how do i get it to work in the game w/o vector expansion. And yes i did work as a doctor LOL

Colwell1199
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
nevermind, i got it to work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif so whats so good with vector expansion? the pro 3 is just like having the HAT switches. lol but it works just fine...right now lol

blakduk
03-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Hawkeye- drop the martini, stop fondling the nurse (that includes Klinger) and read the quickstart card that comes with the unit.
If you want to use it without vector expansion there shouldnt be a problem. Just follow the instructions, especially about installing the software before attaching the unit. Apparently this has caused headaches for others who havent followed the steps exactly.
It might also be helpful to check out other threads that have described in detail setup tricks- such as how far away to have the unit etc.

Colwell1199
03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
rgr i'll go thoughs TOAD's 2 websites he gave me. Another problem i'm coming across is i have one of those flat screen monitors and its hard to rig the IR to stay on top of the monitor. Do u have any suggestions?

knightflyte
03-20-2006, 12:43 AM
VELCRO

Brutom
03-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Also, make sure in the conf.ini file under the [rts] section that the flag trackIRUse=1 and not set equal to zero.

Mine was set at zero and I changed it to 1...I guess I'd say that it does seem to maybe be a bit more precise now.
Could you please descibe just what exactly this change does?
Thanks!

Colwell1199
03-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Where do i find this conf.ini file under the [rts] section? Is this in the NaturalPoint folder in my "C" drive?

Colwell1199
03-20-2006, 08:19 AM
nevermind