PDA

View Full Version : OT Alien Versus Predator...

SeaFireLIV
07-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Is ****. Sorry, just had to say...

SeaNorris
07-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Its garbage **** and all, really.

DeerHunterUK
07-02-2005, 01:22 PM
LOL I actually quite enjoyed the film but is it going to grace my dvd collection?.....no.

ploughman
07-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Hmmm....properly not very good was that was. I did see War of the Worlds yesterday and thought that might've earned a slot on my DVD shelf though. Pesky aliens...

MEGILE
07-02-2005, 01:33 PM
War of the worlds went from "Omfg this rox0rs teh big111" to "wtf?" in the last minute of the film.

ploughman
07-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Did you not read the book?

SeaFireLIV
07-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I don`t watch films as nuch as I used to but always wanted to AVP since I was a big fan in my younger days of Aliens and Predator. But AVP decided to throw logic, continuity and credibilty straight out the window - I regret wasting cash on the DVD. I`ve given it to a m8 of mine - I doubt he`ll be impressed.

I will check out War of the Worlds next and DID read the book. I have a bad feeling about it since it so obviously starts in America(should be England as in the book). But I`ll give it a go...

F0_Dark_P
07-02-2005, 02:42 PM
No AVP aint good, They can try how much they want but they will NEVER beat Arnold!

ploughman
07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Don't be put off by the transplant to 21st Century New Jersey. The late 1890s H G Wells book was written at the height of the British Empire and asked the question...what would it be like if we were invaded by a force so technologically advanced that no resistance could be effectively offerred and so implacable that extinction must seem inevitable, (a question that some African nations could have answered at the time as they were on the receiving end of some fairly relentless European imperialism, the irony of which I rather fancy Mr Wells fully intended).

Transplant that premise to today and you have to place the scenerio in the the USA. A film of Edwardian or very late Victorian England being invade by Aliens would have been a historical curiosity/fantasy that would have had about as much relevance as a Fantastic Four film. The impact Wells intended in 1898 is well served in 2005 by Spielberg's realisation of this film.

Bearcat99
07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I saw WotW today. It wasnt bad.... I enjoyed it.. there [i]were a few "Oh COME ON!!" moments but no show stoppers. There is a new King Kong coming.... and it looks good too! It is set in the same time period as the original and I think basically it is an exact remake of the original... only using modern tech... which is fine by me. There were some scenes that i saw like the T Rex one and the Terydactyl one that looked like the original.... only much MUCH better. The Chronicles of Narnia looks like it will be OFF THE HOOK!! I basically wait for the DVDs now...since I can get the new DVD anywhere from $15-$20 when they first come out... which beats spending $27 to go to the movies... and the extra $40+ for refreshments... The only reason I went to see WotW was that my wife wanted to see it... and her birthday was this week so..... Batman & The FF? Ill wait for the DVD since I will most likely buy it anyway.

carguy_
07-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Thinking of movies type of AVP as pictures bringing anything more than just a fine job of special effects is a big mistake.

I went to watch many movies this type willing to see what did they achieve in effects and I had a good fun.

Especially that AVP isn`t the worst of them all.First half of it was top quality IMO.

MEGILE
07-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Batman kicked much arso.

AusDerReihe
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

based on what? AvP/Predator/Alien story line? gfx effects? story? actor performance?

Tooz_69GIAP
07-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I liked the chick in AvP, nice and fit and athletic, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Feathered_IV
07-02-2005, 05:19 PM
SeaNorris
Posted Sat July 02 2005 12:04
Its garbage **** and all, really.

Buffy vs the Matrix. Now there would be cool one to do http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Shakthamac
07-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by AusDerReihe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

based on what? AvP/Predator/Alien story line? gfx effects? story? actor performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would argue that AVP graphically was really nice, the storyline is what blew. aliens bursting out of chests in the span of about 5 minutes from the laying of the egg and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" were 2 instances where i felt the movie really sucked it up.

AusDerReihe
07-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Shakthamac:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AusDerReihe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

based on what? AvP/Predator/Alien story line? gfx effects? story? actor performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would argue that AVP graphically was really nice, the storyline is what blew. aliens bursting out of chests in the span of about 5 minutes from the laying of the egg and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" were 2 instances where i felt the movie really sucked it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree on the "5 minute" thing, but the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation isn't really that stupid, imo. the humans had already figured out that the only reason they were there was to breed aliens. the predators don't take much pride in hunting humans, and they knew the predators were there to hunt aliens and not them. it's probably not likely most people would think rationally in a situation like that, but it would be a wise move to support the ones that were there to hunt, not the ones that were there to kill every living thing. pride is important to predator males, and they are likely to respect species inferior to themselves that manage to kill what they consider fair-game.

SeaFireLIV
07-02-2005, 06:09 PM

SPOILERS. BEWARE!

Do you really want me to list? Well you asked for it. Sure it started well for the first part, but:

1. One minute it`s an archaelogical expedition - next minute they drop their bags and pop out with sub-machine guns, "We`re taking over now" says one of them. There`s absolutely no mention of who these guys are or who they`re afiliated with - the army? FBI? Nasa? MI6? No explanation at all in the whole film.

2. The Sacrificial chamber: The Alien eggs start opening, the explorers get scared and pop out guns and start shooting before being face-hugged. Problem: They`ve NEVER seen these things before, they have NO IDEA what`s going to happen and yet they come out shooting like they know there`s a bunch of face huggers waiting for them! It`s as if they watched Aliens earlier!

2a. There`s a guy outside waving his gun around. Er - why? there`s no reason why; he hasn`t seen or heard anything. There`s no reason for him to act as he is - we simply aren`t shown why. Oh, but it does give the Predator an excuse to kill him. Illogical.

3. 3 Predators. ooh, impressive. Predator no1 dies so quickly it is unbelievable, like instant. caught out like a new born calf on a summers day by one poxy Alien!

Second Predator fights back. Not bad fight - Alien kills him way too easily at last second. I mean these Predators are useless - they don`t seem to be with it at all. Even the 3rd one got himself wasted by a face hugger (although you don`t see this until the end).

5. Ok, the explorers in the sacrificial chamber wake up after just being face-hugged, "What happened?" She wonders.

Boing!!!!

Alien instantly pops out of her chest! What the? Where`s the period for it too develope, etc as in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Aliens? It couldn`t have been more than a couple of minutes from when it first got to her!

6. No personality to ANYONE! That Bishop character started interesting, but he never went any where. Why? There was a story there that didn`t happen. Also the guys who had kids, again a potential bit of character building blown out of the water. No character was memorable or believable.

7. The Predator sympathising with the hero girl (I forget name) could have worked if it wasn`t so pathetic. The Predator did everything to be pathetic in its fight so as to give the girl some glory. And to think I used to think the Predators were tough and independent.

8. And the bit with the girl (as attractive as she was) was atrocious. The place starts exploding, they both run to get away. And what`s this? The Predator is being matched in running speed by the girl? Everyone knows that even a weakened Pred is tough and can run way faster than a poxy Human. They leap a hole in the ice, she follows effortlessly, even running AHEAD at one point!!! What the hell? She`s developed super-thighs and endurance? She`s NOT built like Arnold and even he in the first Predator couldn`t outrun it. There`s no reason given as to how this illogical act is possible. At least with Ripley in the last Alien film we were given some kind of reason to her abilities...

What they should have done is at least have her start to fall back, being Human, she can`t keep the pace. the Predator stops for her and grabs her and RUNS with her under his arm. This would have added some Humanity to the Predator and felt a lot more realistic.

And of course, every one dies - she doesn`t even take a scratch! You just can`t sympathise at all.

9.Oh, finally, and we all know the Predator hunts in Hot climates not in Frozen wastes. The corn ball story about the Antarctic being once warm and having a civiliastion doesn`t work either!

A potentially good film destroyed becuase it payed no serious homage to the previous incarnations. It was probably made by 20 year-olds weened on the Playstation. It was a comdey - a joke!

There.

MS_Siwarrior
07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Predator all the way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

AusDerReihe
07-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Do you really want me to list? Well you asked for it. Sure it started well for the first part, but:

1. One minute it`s an archaelogical expedition - next minute they drop their bags and pop out with sub-machine guns, "We`re taking over now" says one of them. There`s absolutely no mention of who these guys or who they`re afiliated with - the army? FBI? Nasa? MI6? No explanation at all in the whole film.

They are with the Weyland crew. Later known as Weyland-Yutani in the Alien movies that happens after this movie in timeline. They are aware of the existance of both aliens and predators and are there to collect species.

2. The Sacrificial chamber: The Alien eggs start opening, the explorers get scared and pop out guns and start shooting before being face-hugged. Problem: They`ve NEVEr seen these things before, they have NO IDEA what`s going to happen and yet they come out shooting like they know there`s a bunch of face huggers waiting for them! It`s as if they watched Aliens earlier![/QUTOE]

One of the characters can read the hieroglyphic-like inscriptions inside the structure. Besides, there are drawn inscriptions that show the face huggers, and what they do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
3. 3 Predators. ooh, impressive. Predator no1 dies so quickly it is unbelievable, like instant. caught out like a new born calf on a summers day by one poxy Alien!

You are obviously not informed of the nature of Predators. First of all they are not killing aliens effortlessly, where would the honour be in that? an alien is very deadly to an untrained (un-blooded) predator. a lot of them get killed in their first hunt because their eagerness to kill prey disturbes their own awareness. predators are not "immune" to either humans nor aliens at birth.

4. 2nd Predator fights back. Not bad fight - Alien kills him way too easily at last second. I mean these Predators are useless - they don`t seem to be with it at all. Even the 3rd one got himself wasted by a face hugger (although you don`t see this until the end).

both of the predators that are killed first are un-blooded. they are there to learn. only the 3rd predator is somewhat experienced and is there as a mentor. and even he isn't a very experienced hunter.

5. Ok, the explorers in the sacrificial chamber wake up after just being face-hugged, "What happened?" She wonders.

Boing!!!!

Alien instantly pops out of her chest! What the? Where`s the period for it too develope, etc as in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Aliens? It couldn`t have been more than a couple of minutes from when it first got to her!

this is correct. my guess is that this has to do with total length of the movie, instead of cuting something out, they just reduced the time it took to mature the alien for chest-bursting. i agree that it looks stupid, but i can understand why it was done.

6. No personality to ANYONE! That Bishop character started interesting, but he never went any where. Why? There was a story there that didn`t happen. Also the guys who had kids, again a potential bit of character building blown out of the water. No character was memorable or believable.

Bishop is a character that you see later in the alien movies as the medic cyborg. and again i agree. but imo it wasn't enough to call the movie s**t.

7. The Predator sympathising with the hero girl (I forget name) could have worked if it wasn`t so pathetic. The Predator did everything to be pathetic in its fight so as to give the girl some glory.[/QOUTE]

how would you know how a predator thinks or behaves if you thought that the two first predator should have killed aliens effortlessly? not anywhere do you give evidence of predator knowledge.

[QUOTE]
8. And the bit with the girl (as attractive as she was) was atrocious. The place starts exploding, they both run to get away. And what`s this? The Predator is being matched in running speed by the girl? Everyone knows that even a weakened Pred is tough and can run way faster than a poxy Human. They leap a hole in the ice, she follows effortlessly, even running AHEAD at one point!!! What the hell? She`s developed super-thighs and endurance? She`s NOT built like Arnold and even he in the 1st Predator couldn`t outrun it.[/QOUTE]

could it be that the predator was making sure this human survived? letting someone run ahead of you doesn't mean you cannot overtake them. as this predator had a bit more knowledge/experience than the other two, he wasn't so prone to act selfish.

[QUOTE]
What they should have done is at least have her start to fall back, being Human, she can`t keep the pace. the Predator stops for her and grabs her and RUNS with her under his arm. This would have added some Humanity to the Predator and felt a lot more realistic. And of course, every one dies - she doesn`t even take a scratch! You just can`t sympathise at all.

see above.

Oh, finally, and we all know the Predator hunts in Hot climates not in Frozen wastes. The corn ball story about the Antarctic being once warm and having a civiliastion doesn`t work either!

the predators hunt in all climates. they hunt on many other worlds than earth too. not all of them are warm like ours. besides, the predators in this film has more covering armor than the predators of the two other movies. as higly developed the predators are technologically they should be very capable to adapt to different environments.

[QOUTE]
A potentially good film destroyed becuase it payed no serious homage to the previous incarnations. It was probably made by 20 year-olds weened on the Playstation. It was a comdey - a joke! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the other movies fit nicely into the predator/alien timeline, and both are related to various comics and novels. maybe they wanted to do a story that wasn't realted to any of the current games/comics/movies/novels?

SeaFireLIV
07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, you obviously liked the film and I can see you`ll find ways to back up everything about it. The point is the film does not explain to us these things. So the guys with guns are with Weyland, but it is not explained that they know about the aliens. How did they know? It should have been a question asked by the others of the expedition - it wasn`t. You are answering my (and every other viewers question for them), but the FILM itself should have answered it.

Your answer for the face huggers doesn`t wash, you know it. You`re just trying to back them up. These guys haven`t seen Aliens before, as far as they know, Aliens don`t exist. It doesn`t matter what hieroglyphics say.

You may be right about the predators being noobs. Maybe...

I know about Bishop. But what`s it about. He appeared as the robot in Aliens 2 and he appeared in Aliens 3 as the INVENTOR of the robot Bishop. So what`s going on with the Bishop in AVP? Illogical and unexplained.

We always knew that the Predator hunted in warm climates. the 1st 2 films made it abundanyly clear. Also, it`s quite feasible that the Predator would choose only planets with a warm climate or areas/durations of heat.

You try to back the film up, but you still doesn`t answer many of my points and I don`t expect you too the film should have done it. I love writing and drawing graphic novels and I could easily think of a dozen better ways to have made the story line in that film more feasible.

But all to their own. I still think it`s c r a p (which the **** stands for).

SeaFireLIV
07-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Anyway, it`s only a dumb movie... it doesn`t matter.

carguy_
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I see AVP is seen differently according to information gathered by one about the whole story.

I`ve read few comics and I can type out what I don`t like in the movie.This is a little bllurred perspective cuz I watched this movie few months ago.

1.No connection with previous Predator movies.IMO the alien as a character is behind the Predator and human as a being that kills everyone,everywhere.Don`t ask me how could they connect AVP with previous P movies.I didn`t like that out of nowhere few Predators get on a hunt in coincidinse with group of humans sniffing for treasures.A movie with two characters that actually have their stories doesn`t deserve to be made according to "just like that Predators,humans and aliens meet".

2.Why the heck was earth the place?!It could have been a whole different planet with jungle like locations or scary colonial facilities like previously.Here it all happens in some pathetic piramid buried miles under ice...WTF?

3.Predators.Well,even if those are n00b Preds we do not want them to die in first 20mins of the movie!Preds are tough,smart hunters!Those two act like they never saw an alien....or maybe they never hunted?!All of us know Predators are raised in a tribe-like community that teaches n00b wariors how to fight,act honorably,etc.Those two n00b Predators must have died some other way whereas in the movie it looked like they came hunting humans and saw aliens and went "whoa!check this out man!lemme touch...ouch,it bites!".

4.No weapons.What?Spear?All of us enjoy seeing technology Predators posses.This laser beam at the start was kewl and that was it.We saw no plasma pistols,no plasma cannons,no discs.Ok,we saw some but why were Predators fighting only with their hands?With ALIENS?!
The guy who wrote the scenario tought 3 Preds can take hunderds aliens in hand to hand combat?

Preds are tough.It should have been made like they blast`em left and right but there`s too many of aliens(perfect example - aliens(2) movie when troopers were retreating from colony facility).

4.Predator-human relations.Predator treats a human like a subpar specie or a prey!The last Pred would never let a human hold him down.He would leave this female behind and get out of there or he would go in alone like a honorable Predator does.So what,he makes a spear for her?!LOLAnd what a spear!Pathetic!
Why did those Predators kill defensless humans?It is against the Predator way!What was the director thinking here?

5.End scene.This female kills the mother?WTF?!This last Predator...ok so perhaps he was better than all those other predators but why does he get killed like a total n00b?He should kill the mother alone,in a duel or something,show his cleverness,toughness.A single human is laughable!Stay out of this!

That said,I still like the movie.

AusDerReihe
07-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by carguy_:
I see AVP is seen differently according to information gathered by one about the whole story.

I`ve read few comics and I can type out what I don`t like in the movie.This is a little bllurred perspective cuz I watched this movie few months ago.

1.No connection with previous Predator movies.IMO the alien as a character is behind the Predator and human as a being that kills everyone,everywhere.Don`t ask me how could they connect AVP with previous P movies.I didn`t like that out of nowhere few Predators get on a hunt in coincidinse with group of humans sniffing for treasures.A movie with two characters that actually have their stories doesn`t deserve to be made according to "just like that Predators,humans and aliens meet".

the reason humans and predators arrive at the same location is not coincident. the predators have activated the pyramid so that it will lure humans to it, thereby supplying the aliens with hosts. next, the predators will hunt for the aliends bred through humans, which is the only reason they are there, to hunt bugs. it's a chain of events triggered by the predators.

2.Why the heck was earth the place?!It could have been a whole different planet with jungle like locations or scary colonial facilities like previously.Here it all happens in some pathetic piramid buried miles under ice...WTF?

the predators had been to earth before, and on the planet they had found a specie that was suitable for alien hosts. if you know the weareabouts of hosts to produce your prey, you'd return there for sure.

[QOUTE]
3.Predators.Well,even if those are n00b Preds we do not want them to die in first 20mins of the movie!Preds are tough,smart hunters!Those two act like they never saw an alien....or maybe they never hunted?!All of us know Predators are raised in a tribe-like community that teaches n00b wariors how to fight,act honorably,etc.Those two n00b Predators must have died some other way whereas in the movie it looked like they came hunting humans and saw aliens and went "whoa!check this out man!lemme touch...ouch,it bites!".[/QUOTE]

the predator society is indeed tribe-like in structure. it does, however, not guarantee the absence of villains and rouges. regarding the first two perdators, i would think that this was teir first hunt ever. they were sent to a location with relatively few aliens, in a confied space of which they had all desireable information. a reasonable first hunt. what separates the good hunters from the bad ones, is how they behave in the hunt or battle. those who are very impatient might end up dead early, or may kill the prey in a sless honorable way. each predator is not smart or tough. they are diversed like humans.

4.No weapons.What?Spear?All of us enjoy seeing technology Predators posses.This laser beam at the start was kewl and that was it.We saw no plasma pistols,no plasma cannons,no discs.Ok,we saw some but why were Predators fighting only with their hands?With ALIENS?!
The guy who wrote the scenario tought 3 Preds can take hunderds aliens in hand to hand combat?

it is the predator way of doing things. first, they learn close combat with combo-stick and wrist blades. there's no hounour in killing prey from a distance with your plasma-caster. it is also in the predators hounour to go in with the odds stacked against him.

4.Predator-human relations.Predator treats a human like a subpar specie or a prey!The last Pred would never let a human hold him down.He would leave this female behind and get out of there or he would go in alone like a honorable Predator does.So what,he makes a spear for her?!LOLAnd what a spear!Pathetic!
Why did those Predators kill defensless humans?It is against the Predator way!What was the director thinking here?

the predator doesn't actually always concider humans prey. if, in a situation like the move, the predator thinks that something like taking humans as allies will improve his chances of survival, he would certainly do so. not every predator believes so much in the honour code that it will reffrain from doing something dishonorable that would save him from being killed. what with the spear he makes for her? is it not good enough technologically? in fact it's the best one around considering the resources.

5.End scene.This female kills the mother?WTF?!This last Predator...ok so perhaps he was better than all those other predators but why does he get killed like a total n00b?He should kill the mother alone,in a duel or something,show his cleverness,toughness.A single human is laughable!Stay out of this!

the last predator had to die because of the ending of the movie. we were led to believe the story was over as the queen was dead (no more aliens on earth), the predator that was recovered (the last one) was dead and as such didn't carry anything living with him. the predator then breeds a new kind of alien, the predalien. we were not sure about the face hugging of that predator, since we hadn't actually seen it, and now that the predator was dead we knew that there was nothing to be afraid of. it was done to ensure suspension to the last scene.

but, i guess SeaFireLIV is right when he says it's just a movie http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SabreF-86
07-02-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't suppose anyone here actually sat down and read the books that came out as the film series evolved?

The book which deals with AVP actually takes place on a desert planet light years away from earth. The facility is a Weyland Yutani operation, a mine I think. There is no temple or any of that, the Predators seed a valley with pods and the local cow population gets infected. Once there are sufficient Aliens to make the hunt worth while the young warriors are dropped on planet, by which time the aliens have found the WY facility and started offing the local humans. The heroine is a geologist or something and the story does sort of go from there.

I thought AVP was good on graphics, but like many here have said, it has holes in it big enough to park my truck in.

Sabre

AusDerReihe
07-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SabreF-86:
I don't suppose anyone here actually sat down and read the books that came out as the film series evolved?

The book which deals with AVP actually takes place on a desert planet light years away from earth. The facility is a Weyland Yutani operation, a mine I think. There is no temple or any of that, the Predators seed a valley with pods and the local cow population gets infected. Once there are sufficient Aliens to make the hunt worth while the young warriors are dropped on planet, by which time the aliens have found the WY facility and started offing the local humans. The heroine is a geologist or something and the story does sort of go from there.

I thought AVP was good on graphics, but like many here have said, it has holes in it big enough to park my truck in.

Sabre

that incident is from the book "AvP - Prey" and takes place on another planet. it is not at the same spot in the timeline. it is set way out into the future, probably sometime after the four current Alien movies.

that book btw, is only one of several published under the trademark Predator and has been officially approved. i don't think that the makers of this movie would mix things up like that. they have the timeline. besides, the heroine in the book travels with the predators after all the slaughtering is done.

the book has a very famous predator in it, one named Dachande, or broken tusk. he's supposedly one of the very few who took on a queen with his bare hands and survived. he would have survived the incident in the movie if it was him, with all those weapons.

fordfan25
07-02-2005, 11:21 PM

yea i thought so to. the story was @#$% up. the acting was #$%^%$ up. the only thing i can say that was done even half @$$ed right was the big fight at the end. i just thought the whole preditor teaming up with that girl was VERY lame. also thay made the aliens FAR to strong compaied to what thay were in previose films. also one thing realy seemed stupid to me. the predator's armor and wepons, for such a advanced race that has been traveling the stars as well as hunting aliens wasnt there metel alloys rather corosive. youd think in the thousnd years that thay were hunting the aliens thay might have thought "hay lets make or armmor out of something other than aluminum" lol.

Deedsundone
07-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Not the best and not the worst,I enjoyed watching it despite its minor flaws stated in a previous post.It beat the heck out of Starship troopers 2 though.

diomedes33
07-03-2005, 12:55 AM
A movie based on a video game that was based on a movie. What were you expecting?

JG52Karaya-X
07-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by diomedes33:
A movie based on a video game that was based on a movie. What were you expecting?

No, actually it's a movie that's based on a game that's based on a comic...

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diomedes33:

No, actually it's a movie that's based on a game that's based on a comic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong!
It`s based from the original movies; then there were the first Predator comics (which I still have), then, eventually the game came out... Somewhere after that they decided to make AVP. AVP is in fact nothing like the game.

Shakthamac
07-03-2005, 07:30 AM
IMO the predator should have been kicking everyone's *** in the entire movie, cuz thats what he was, an ***kicker.

But, it was still better than Alien Resurrection.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Alien died when they did the third movie and predator should have stuck at 2 when it was ahead.

Time some one in Hollywood got hold of a few back issues of 2000AD instead of all this lycra/rubber clad gothic prissy marvel drekk

( and dont mention that bloody sad dredd movie that sucked the monkey)

How bout a DECENT 'ABC warriors' movie?

Never gona happen though I guess http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
Alien died when they did the third movie and predator should have stuck at 2 when it was ahead.

Time some one in Hollywood got hold of a few back issues of 2000AD instead of all this lycra/rubber clad gothic prissy marvel drekk

( and dont mention that bloody sad dredd movie that sucked the monkey)

How bout a DECENT 'ABC warriors' movie?

Never gona happen though I guess http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Well, tHeBaLrOgRoCkS, we have a hell of a lot in common. You`ve said just about everything that I wish could happen! And who knows, I think there`s still a chance of an ABC warriors movie... The hard part, like you said, would be getting the DECENT bit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-03-2005, 10:52 AM
LOL well I would say your a dang side better with the old pen and ink than I am mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Maybe a well funded mini series or something would be a more realistic.

either way fingers crossed

(perhaps a well thought out FPS mod)

Tooz_69GIAP
07-03-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd love to see a good Slaine adaptation to the big screen!! I love all that sword and sorcery stuff, mixed in with some really cool carnage.

Or maybe a movie featuring that psycho hard-as-coffin-nails Sov judge who tried to judge Dredd for destroying Sov Block 1 (or summit like that - been a long time since I read 2000AD).

But definately, a Strontium Dog movie would rock!! Either that or a FR1DAY movie (that blue GI dude).

huggy87
07-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... Speaking of continuity problems.

Has anyone else noticed in Empire Strikes Back they all leave Hoth at the same time. Luke goes to Degobah for some intense Jedi training. Han Solo and the others go to bespin where as soon as they arrive they get in trouble with the empire. Soon, maybe only days later, Luke shows up nearly a fully trained Jedi. In every other movie it takes a lifetime to become a jedi. Explain that.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-03-2005, 11:52 AM
LOL yeah Rogue Trooper was a great story too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif But dont forget Sam and stogie I think stogie would have come in handy while I was giving up smoking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Its a real shame but the best way to enjoy the First (episode's 4-6) films is to never watch the others.

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
I'd love to see a good Slaine adaptation to the big screen!! I love all that sword and sorcery stuff, mixed in with some really cool carnage.

Or maybe a movie featuring that psycho hard-as-coffin-nails Sov judge who tried to judge Dredd for destroying Sov Block 1 (or summit like that - been a long time since I read 2000AD).

But definately, a Strontium Dog movie would rock!! Either that or a FR1DAY movie (that blue GI dude).

I gotta agree with that,Tooz_69GIAP . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nice to see we have a few of the old 2000AD boys here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

diomedes33
07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diomedes33:

No, actually it's a movie that's based on a game that's based on a comic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't know that. The point I was trying to make is that the original stories were so mangled and twisted going through the different mediums. The end product (AvP) had lost its identity.

The biggest let down for me was Alien IV, I was hoping that it would make up for the mediocrity of Alien III. I pretty much lost all faith in any Alien movie by Hollywood after that.

How long have the seeds of AvP been around? I seem to remember seeing an Alien's head in Predator II in one of the scenes in the Pedator's ship.

Taylortony
07-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by diomedes33:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:

the coolest bit of the film was the back hand flick where he sliced the crown of the aliens head............................... the rest was average and very short

Didn't know that. The point I was trying to make is that the original stories were so mangled and twisted going through the different mediums. The end product (AvP) had lost its identity.

The biggest let down for me was Alien IV, I was hoping that it would make up for the mediocrity of Alien III. I pretty much lost all faith in any Alien movie by Hollywood after that.

How long have the seeds of AvP been around? I seem to remember seeing an Alien's head in Predator II in one of the scenes in the Pedator's ship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fordfan25
07-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Deedsundone:
Not the best and not the worst,I enjoyed watching it despite its minor flaws stated in a previous post.It beat the heck out of Starship troopers 2 though.

o yes. star ship troopers2. what the he!! happend there hu? what kinda super space crack were thay smokeing. how could thay so tottaly trash a movie that had the first starship troopers as a starting point. i mean for cryn out load. thats like ....like.... well theres nothings realy to compair it to. who ever was resonsble for that complete wast of not only the 4 bucks i spent renting it, but also tottal trash of a movie should not only be beat in the nutz for 3 days and nights with a leather belt soaked in salt water but also be made to personaly go to every persons house that saw that movie, apologize and then wash there cars in the middle of summer dressed in full on 1942 eastern frount winter gear. or made to eat there own head.,

fordfan25
07-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by huggy87:

Has anyone else noticed in Empire Strikes Back they all leave Hoth at the same time. Luke goes to Degobah for some intense Jedi training. Han Solo and the others go to bespin where as soon as they arrive they get in trouble with the empire. Soon, maybe only days later, Luke shows up nearly a fully trained Jedi. In every other movie it takes a lifetime to become a jedi. Explain that.

ok i will. lukes traing was not complete. he was only trained in the absulute basics. he had actully started traing dureing the first movie with Obi 1. not only that but the force is MUCH stronger and more intutive in the Skywalker blood line. the force is not as easy to use for others as some. just look at epi3 RotS. yoda advise's obi1 not to go after darth Sideus because he's not strong enough. the resone is yoda is not only wiser in the force but also has a much higher talent when it comes to the force. kinda like math skills comes easyer to some people while others have to work harder just to be half as good. now after the origanal movies L.Skywalker starts the Jedi academy. its at that time he realy starts to learn what being a Jedi is all about. befor hand he was just learning the basics and trying to obtain as much combate skill as posible.

o and it does not take a life time to become a jedi. a jedi never stops learning. its all about becomeing a better Jedi than what your are. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif what? stop looking at me like that.

Monty_Thrud
07-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Please dont tell me who won...i'm still gutted about that Titanic movie

JG7_SITH
07-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I read an interview from Anderson right after the movie was released in AUG 04. What you guys saw was Hollywood's release not Andersons . He had nothing to do with the finial editing of AVP. He said so him self he was not happy with the original release of AVP. He also went on to say there was going to be a directors version that had more footage and explained things a little better .

Example :
1. there was suppose to be 5 Predators not 3 . Anderson said that him self while making the movie . Why only 3 ? Who knows .

2. How come the Aliens grew allot quicker then previous movie ? That was explained in the movie before they edited it .

3. Why did the Aliens attack the Predator that was infected with Alien embryo ? Again that part was cut out in the editing phase . It had to do with the DNA of the Predator etc.. and the Aliens could not detect .

4. Was suppose to be allot gory but again taken out in the editing phase .

A movie that was 1 hr 30 mis long , yeah they are going to rush things really quick .

Many other stuff that I can not remember . Why there was not a directors cut released in Jan 05 like they said ? Who knows why . Maybe saving that release for when AVP2 comes out . And if your wondering why the Alien seemed to kick *** in this movie ......... Anderson said him self he is a BIGGER Alien fan then Predator so go figure .

http://photos.imageevent.com/jg7_me262/pilotid/AVP.jpg

Monty_Thrud
07-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Big up! Predators

http://premium1.uploadit.org/bsamania//MovieImage1a.jpg

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by JG7_SITH:
I read an interview from Anderson right after the movie was released in AUG 04. What you guys saw was Hollywood's release not Andersons . He had nothing to do with the finial editing of AVP.

[Well that explains a few things]

Anderson said him self he is a BIGGER Alien fan then Predator so go figure .

Bah! Biased to the Alien? That means the Alien was over modelled! Predator racism!! Equality for the Predator. The Predator`s better than any poxy brainless Alien...

ImpStarDuece
07-03-2005, 07:24 PM

As an inveterate Star Wars geek I'll field this one.

The Millenium Falcon had it's main hyperdirve malfunction in the escape from Hoth. However, Solo, being the slap-dash individual that he is, had a back-up Hyperdrive system installed on the Flacon. The back up is the equavilent of putting an outboard motor on a trawler; it's much, much slower than the main engines, but you'll get where you are going eventually. It just might take a few weeks/months.

So Solo and the Falcon crawl along towards Bespine for an indeterminate period of time while Luke gets to go straight to Dagobah and train for a while.

There are all sorts of other excuses like time dialiation, relavistic velocities, alternate dimensional travel, the necessities of plot, pacing, audience expectations and the fact that the Star Wars movies never really had a coherent grasp of time (i.e. Lucas' novelization of Star Wars had the trip from Tantooine to Alderaan take 7 days, not the couple of hours like in the movie, which is probably THE major difference between the 'offical' and 'unofficial' canon.).

Still, as PVPonline said it Alien Vs Predator was a "half hour of greatness wrapped up in an hour of suck." Personally, I think that is a little generous, maybe 15 minutes of greatness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

JG7_SITH
07-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Luke shows up nearly a fully trained Jedi. In every other movie it takes a lifetime to become a jedi. Explain that.

Umm no.

Luke was never even close . Thats why they did not even want him to leave and help his friends . At that point he still could tell the good side from the Dark .

JG7_SITH
07-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by JG7_SITH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggy87:

Luke shows up nearly a fully trained Jedi. In every other movie it takes a lifetime to become a jedi. Explain that.

Umm no.

Luke was never even close . Thats why they did not even want him to leave and help his friends . At that point he still could not even tell the good side from the Dark . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

han freak solo
07-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Dang! I thought this was going to be like Pirates Vs. Ninjas! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

AusDerReihe
07-04-2005, 09:56 AM
speaking of Star Wars (which i like very much), i always found the "Millenium Falcon doing the kessel run in 12 parsecs" situation quite amusing. parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

and before someone writes a long explanation of this, i know there are several "plausible" explanations for this.

SeaFireLIV
07-04-2005, 09:59 AM
LOL. This is why fantasy is easier to do than fact. You can make up anything and give it a reason.

But once you get a series going you need to keep continuity, which AVP decided to commit suicide on.

AusDerReihe
07-04-2005, 10:26 AM
LOL. This is why fantasy is easier to do than fact. You can make up anything and give it a reason.

But once you get a series going you need to keep continuity, which AVP decided to commit suicide on.

imo continuity isn't actually neccessary in this film. there are some hints, like Weyland linking to Wayland-Yutani in the Alien films. the Alien/Predator timeline is very long, whaling station 1914, present antarctica 2004 and Alien movies way out in the future. because of these long jumps in time it is possible to write something that happens in-between, which doesn't really have to relate to the stuff already published. like in predator 2, one of the predators hand over what looks like a pistol from the pirate aera, which shows that the predators have been around for a while. as such they could have made a movie from that period whitout any referrence to later movies.

my opinion this is. be sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG52Karaya-X
07-04-2005, 11:25 AM
AVP is in fact nothing like the game.

Do you mean that it's just like the game or not at all like the game? Because I've played both AVP and AVP2 and have to say that the film did not get even close to the suspense and horror of the game...

I personally liked AVP1 more because it had a darker, more spooky and more serious athmosphere - I just couldn't like the comic style of AVP2

And about the movie: They should have set the scenario in the dark future of the Alien movies... with Colonial Marines, Corporates, Aliens and Preds shooting it out.

The movie we got was a very poor ultra-paced action movie - no horror or suspense http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

PS: I'd like to see an AVP3 for the PC sometime again... that brings up the old strenghts of AVP1

_VR_ScorpionWorm
07-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Alien Versus Predator huh? Good for a movie, good action, storyline?..... I think it follows the Alien line more than the Predator... but thats all been discussed.

But I have something for you all, this will solve all your debates about AVP.

The Truth. (http://alienlovespredator.com/archive.php)

ImpStarDuece
07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
speaking of Star Wars (which i like very much), i always found the "Millenium Falcon doing the kessel run in 12 parsecs" situation quite amusing. parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

and before someone writes a long explanation of this, i know there are several "plausible" explanations for this.

I can explain this one too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Kessle Run is a smugglers route to and from the planet Kessle used to smuggle spice. Kessle happens to be slowly getting pulled into a very nasty region of space known as the 'Maw', which , amoung other things, is populated by several small black holes.

The Millenium Falcon is fast enough to take a more direct route into Kessle because it has the power to resist some of the gravational pull of the black holes, nice space opera stuff. So Solo can skirt the edge of the run, taking a straighter path instead of a longer one outside the gravatational influence of the Maw, saving time and also making it less likely that he will get caught.

AusDerReihe
07-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AusDerReihe:

I can explain this one too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Kessle Run is a smugglers route to and from the planet Kessle used to smuggle spice. Kessle happens to be slowly getting pulled into a very nasty region of space known as the 'Maw', which , amoung other things, is populated by several small black holes.

The Millenium Falcon is fast enough to take a more direct route into Kessle because it has the power to resist some of the gravational pull of the black holes, nice space opera stuff. So Solo can skirt the edge of the run, taking a straighter path instead of a longer one outside the gravatational influence of the Maw, saving time and also making it less likely that he will get caught. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in another explanation (from DVD commentary track of <i>A New Hope</i>, Lucas explains); it means that the Millenium Falcon's computer was so advanced that it was able to plot a shorter route through hyperspace than any other ship.

yet another explanation is that Han Solo was trying to impress Obi Wan and Luke and/or to see how naive they were. as Obi Wan gives Han a sceptical look, this might be the case. after all, Han is the sort of person that would try to turn any situation to his advantage, especially if there's money involved.