PDA

View Full Version : How does Altair have time to speak to the people he kills?

gaz2785
11-22-2007, 05:12 AM
When Altair assassinates one of his main targets, he talks to them as they lay dying. I wondered how he had time to do this, considering his targets are often surrounded by guards.

Do you think the conversation takes place quickly?

Or maybe the conversation takes place at the point of death on a different plane?

Or perhaps they don't take place at all, and the victim's justifications are merely Altair's conscience at work.

I know it doesn't really matter, but what do you think?

spazzoo1025
11-22-2007, 05:52 AM
I think it's more of a subconscious thing, where it's like Altair's soul is speaking to his victim's.
I dont know how to turn stuff grey so....

**SPOILERS****SPOILERS**

When I killed Majd Addin, and I was having my little chat with him, at the end of it, I shoved my switchblade through his neck, but like in the soul world or whatever it is. Anyone know why I killed him twice?

**SPOILERS****SPOILERS**

eWaster
11-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
I think it's more of a subconscious thing, where it's like Altair's soul is speaking to his victim's.
I dont know how to turn stuff grey so....

**SPOILERS****SPOILERS**

When I killed Majd Addin, and I was having my little chat with him, at the end of it, I shoved my switchblade through his neck, but like in the soul world or whatever it is. Anyone know why I killed him twice?

**SPOILERS****SPOILERS**

He was acting like a selfish cock***... and Altair had no patience for that.

gaboonviper2007
11-22-2007, 06:03 AM
well, seeing as it's the animus more or less creating the world it reads in the genetic memory of Desmund, it could somthing about that time that has to be "cropped" like that. In the manual it sais for example that the eagles on each viewpoint is added with the animus. If i try to find a realistic reason for the conversation being so long, it has to be somthing about the animus.
One possibility is that it isn't a conversation with the person like you see it, but rather somthing Altair thinks as he kills him. summed up by what he's learned about the target in various ways, or somthing like that. if the entire thing was just Altair thinking, and the animus read it as a real conversation or somthing (it only read the conversation too, and nothing of the surroundings, so it looks cut off from when he killed him).

Probobly way to long and rambling post, but thats what i think at least.

gaz2785
11-22-2007, 06:29 AM
^ Both of those are good ideas, but I like the thought of it subconsciously being Altair's soul speaking to the victim.

Tela
11-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Whenever Altair comes back and speaks to Al Mualim, he says that the victim SAID something. I figure it is a sort of soul-ish conversation.

Raide
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I had the very odd idea that when you play Altair, you are actually the Grim Reaper. You missed a few on the way and you head back to collect. Claiming souls, having a chat and then ending their life and soul at the same time. Like a two for one sale at Death R Us.

Time travel + Grim Reaper = Instant Hit!

Raide
UK "Mind Wandering" Forum Manager

shotty78
11-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Indeed Altair told Al Mualim that his victims said those things. Also he let the woman go who was pretending to be Robert. So I believe it was something like a real conversation on the next spirtual plane. A plane between our world and the afterlife that Altair has learned to travel to.

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I too think it's a bit of a soul chat, which exists outside of time and space.

Btw remember to press a button when those memory glitches appear, you get to watch the target walking around while they talk to Alty.

Dunno what the reason for including that stuff into the game was, it could be that the conversations with the target were planned to happen before the assassination rather than after? or something like that, and they didn't want to waste the nifty motion capture data from those scenes.

MiniAssasin
11-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by unnamedninja:
I too think it's a bit of a soul chat, which exists outside of time and space.

Btw remember to press a button when those memory glitches appear, you get to watch the target walking around while they talk to Alty.

Dunno what the reason for including that stuff into the game was, it could be that the conversations with the target were planned to happen before the assassination rather than after? or something like that, and they didn't want to waste the nifty motion capture data from those scenes.

no this was planned from the get go.

but yeah i thought this would ruin the game for me before it came out but i love it

VampiricGranny
11-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Mualim that his victims said those things. Also he let the woman go who was pretending to be Robert. So I believe it was something like a real conversation on the next spirtual plane. A plane between our world and the afterlife that Altair has learned to travel to.

I think they're just talking while Altair is crouched over the person you've just assassinated...
Probably part of the game design, so you can only focus on Altair and your target, otherwise it'd look stupid with the guards standing 6 inches away from you just watching.

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Well obviously it's a game design mechanic, what we're pondering is the possible fictional explanations for it.

spazzoo1025
11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by VampiricGranny:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mualim that his victims said those things. Also he let the woman go who was pretending to be Robert. So I believe it was something like a real conversation on the next spirtual plane. A plane between our world and the afterlife that Altair has learned to travel to.

I think they're just talking while Altair is crouched over the person you've just assassinated...
Probably part of the game design, so you can only focus on Altair and your target, otherwise it'd look stupid with the guards standing 6 inches away from you just watching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats definitely not true...idk what it is that tells me, it's just maybe..ooo idk, the 30+ guards that'll b surrounding you as soon as you kill the target?? o yeahh but theres LOADSSSS of time to talk for 2 or 3 minutes with them yeahhh

Ghotten
11-22-2007, 01:45 PM
how does Snake from MGS have time to take lengthy codec calls in the middle of boss battles? it's the same kinda thing. It's probably just a story filler, something to give us an idea as to what's going on, what each character's goal was.

Ghotten
11-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VampiricGranny:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mualim that his victims said those things. Also he let the woman go who was pretending to be Robert. So I believe it was something like a real conversation on the next spirtual plane. A plane between our world and the afterlife that Altair has learned to travel to.

Probably part of the game design, so you can only focus on Altair and your target, otherwise it'd look stupid with the guards standing 6 inches away from you just watching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats definitely not true...idk what it is that tells me, it's just maybe..ooo idk, the 30+ guards that'll b surrounding you as soon as you kill the target?? o yeahh but theres LOADSSSS of time to talk for 2 or 3 minutes with them yeahhh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the guards are stood there talking to eachother while you're talking to him. I could imagine the dialogue now...

"Anybody see what happened?"
"he looks dead to me!"
"He can't be, Altair is talking to him!"
"You've got a point."
"Well, it looked as if Altair climbed up on to the stage, then jumped on his back when he wasn't looking..."
"Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he saw Altair coming!"
"Of course he didn't you idiot! that's why he's lying there! dying!"
"You got a point!"
"I know I do! now, what are we going to do about him?"
"I don't know... I'll go around the back, you take his attention to the front,"
"Sure thing - wait, damn it! there he goes! AGH!"

Assasinoftheold
11-22-2007, 01:49 PM
But wen he kills fake Robert he dosent??

MiniAssasin
11-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ghotten:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VampiricGranny:

thats definitely not true...idk what it is that tells me, it's just maybe..ooo idk, the 30+ guards that'll b surrounding you as soon as you kill the target?? o yeahh but theres LOADSSSS of time to talk for 2 or 3 minutes with them yeahhh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the guards are stood there talking to eachother while you're talking to him. I could imagine the dialogue now...

"Anybody see what happened?"
"he looks dead to me!"
"He can't be, Altair is talking to him!"
"You've got a point."
"Well, it looked as if Altair climbed up on to the stage, then jumped on his back when he wasn't looking..."
"Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he saw Altair coming!"
"Of course he didn't you idiot! that's why he's lying there! dying!"
"You got a point!"
"I know I do! now, what are we going to do about him?"
"I don't know... I'll go around the back, you take his attention to the front,"
"Sure thing - wait, damn it! there he goes! AGH!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha thats awesome

synergy23
11-22-2007, 01:57 PM
okay heres the problem i have with the game and guess what it is?....THIS STUIPID TALKING WHILE DIEING THING!!!! its ******ed because yes u somehow have time 2 talk 2 them and u know its not your "subconcious" because he says to the bureau leaders that he keeps having strange chats with them.

MiniAssasin
11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by synergy23:
okay heres the problem i have with the game and guess what it is?....THIS STUIPID TALKING WHILE DIEING THING!!!! its ******ed because yes u somehow have time 2 talk 2 them and u know its not your "subconcious" because he says to the bureau leaders that he keeps having strange chats with them.

does it really matter, at the end of the day its a game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Firstly it's just a game.

Secondly, if it bothers you all that much, make sure you kill every guard before you kill the assassination target.

Personally I think Altair has some sort of telepathic communication with the victims that lasts just a second but which seems real (and seems to last a couple of minutes) to Altair. That's why if you press the button when glitches appear you see the victims talking as if they're standing up and unwounded.

But if others have different explanations, that works too. In the end the game is everyone's subjective experience, so whatever floats your boat.

shotty78
11-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Altair has a chance to talk to all his targets AND he talks to the women pretending to be Robert at the end of the game. He also mentions his "talks" to various other people including his master and Assassin Bureau leaders in each town.

B/c he mentions the talks to other people I highly doubt they are strictly a creation of Altair's mind. Instead these must be real events, not ones imagined by Altair. I think that they take place in a Limbo, a place between worlds neither on earth or in the afterlife.

What if this is another power that experienced Assassin's have, similar to Eagle Vision? Besides calling it a game design only to move along the story, this is the only logical answer. Altair has the ability to travel to this Limbo without actually being on his way to death. Think of all the people who use meditation/drugs/or claim to have seen god, who all talk about going to another plane of spirituality.

Obviously I don't think Altair takes a lil' acid before he goes out to kill but even buddhist monks today claim to be able to reach seperate planes of sprituality while meditating. My thought is that as one progressing as an Assassin they learn this technique through meditation and are finally able to do it seemingly instaneously.

Just a little more food for thought.

PS-also posted in another discussion.