PDA

View Full Version : Sites related to WW2 in Japan

Dr_fuzz
10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has found any info about historical war sites in Japan. I often read posts here about people visiting sites in the US (museums, ships etc) and I've visited the Australian war museum in Canberra back home. My wife is Japanese and last time we were in Japan I asked her about any historical war sites in Japan and she knew none. Neither did her parents, which is werid, because apart from her father, her family have been soliders for about 3 generations (looking at medals and pics from the 1900 russo Japan war was an eye openner).

So does anyone here have any information about any historical sites in Japan to visit such as places containing wwII aircraft, tanks or ships (I think ships would be a tall order). I was walking around Kyoto and I came across 1 man kamikaze sub but that was a one off thing.

Hope someone has some info. Cheers.

Fuzz

BurningBeard
10-14-2004, 09:22 PM
There were some sites available in the southern part of Okinawa (Naval HQ, I believe), but most of the stuff I saw there was from and earlier time. However if you are interested you can visit the Tea House of the ?August? Moon in Naha if you are so inclined. (Immortalized in a Marlen Brando movie from the Korean War).

There is also a Monument on Buckner Bay where the US forces landed in WWII, but this was put up by the American Forces.

Beard