PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR 3 - Worth buying? Do I need the pro version? Should I buy vector expansion?

jmk396
04-06-2005, 02:01 PM
I've been wanting to get into flight simulators for a couple of years now (eg. IL-2) and I keep on hearing about this device called the "TrackIR" which supposedly tracks your head movements and then moves the camera in-game, thus making it feel like you're really in the game.

Well, it's quite pricey...

TrackIR-3 is $110

TrackIR 3 Pro is $140

Vector Expansion is $45

However, since I just got a nice raise at work, I'm thinking about buying one of these. Before I do, I have some questions...

1) Is the Track-IR worth buying? (eg. does anybody here have it? how good is it? can you live without it now that you have it?)

2) What is the difference between the professional version and the standard version? According the website the professional version is "faster" but what does that really mean? If I buy one, which version should I buy? (eg. will I regret not buying the professional version?)

3) Should I buy the vector expansion? What exactly does this add to the whole Track-IR package? It seems like you need to wear a hat to use it which might be a bit ackward for me, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

$145 ($110 + $45) does seem like a lot but perhaps it's worth it?

jessi1
04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Trackir 3 pro you will never go back to pan views again, The vector is not usable in il-2 but will be for the new game(battle of britian) worth buying when this game comes out thats for sure. You dont have to use the hat put one of the deflective dots that comes with it on a pair of sunglasses(with the lenses popped out)thats what i do ,put it in the middle of the glasses works great. This trackir 3 is the best device ever created for the flight simming world bar none,,im sure everyone else will agree. 100% woth buying if you really want to be immersed in the game. Welcome aboard freind

SweetMonkeyLuv
04-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I went ahead and bought the 3 Pro w/ VE a few weeks ago.

No way in the world I would go back. The way I look at it, if you're one of those amazing people who have awesome SA with your current solution (hat switch, mouse, whatever), you will go through a brief period of adjustment, then have a roughly equivalent SA to what you had before with the benefit of getting several joystick buttons freed up for other uses.

If you're like the rest of the other 99% of flight simmers out there who have generally poor to decent to good to great SA, then you'll get better AND have more free fingers for other controls.

Either way, its a winning situation, and you'll be happy you made the switch. Just be sure you allow yourself a few hours to get your brain and reflexes adjust to it, and also take the time to fiddle with the software and adjust the sensitivity of the unit to your tastes.

As for the VE, well, its true that IL2 doesn't do anything with the 4 extra movements you can make. But, the TrackIR software does, and people that upgrade to the VE all report that it makes movement even smoother for them. Maybe its the extra 2 points that the unit tracks, or maybe its that you can deaded out movement in those other 4 axes so that they're not registered in the 2 that IL uses. I really don't know.

Don't know much about the difference between standard and pro, so I can't really help ya there.

Akronnick
04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I have TrackIR2 and wouldn't want to ever fly without it. I'm so used to it now, If it's not working, (I forget to turn it on, Have new software that doesn't support it, whatever) I miss it big time. The vector expansion, although not supported in Il-2, does help because the unit can disregard all the natural movement side to side, back-forth that you make that your brain filters out. Without it, any little rocking motion etc. pans the camera, requiring you to sit absolutely still. You get used to it, but it can cause extra fatigue in long flying sessions.

mareis1977
04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
The VE is definitely worth it.

I had the original TrackIR, and while I got used to it after a while, it was always a bit of a struggle. I gave up using it completely after a while.

I now have the 3/Pro/VE, and after setting it up the way I like it, and getting used to it again, it's now a seamless experience.

Once in a while, I realize that it's my head motion that's controlling the view, and I'm always amazed at how I can perfectly track a plane zipping by or keep the view centered on something in the distance while my plane turns around me as well as the padlock view could.

And yes, the position features of the VE won't work in this game, but the view rotation depending on just your actual head rotation is what I wanted from the TrackIR in the first place.

Saunders1953
04-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Get it! That's an order, pilot! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

LuckyBoy1
04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
The Vector thingy may not add some sort of fancy functionality to IL-2, but even without that, Vector makes it smoother than without it. Get the Pro version with Vector and be done with it.

Akronnick
04-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Once you go Track(IR), You never go back! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

altstiff
04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Does track IR have any impact on frame rates?

Wilburnator
04-07-2005, 12:57 AM
TIR3 has a very minor impact on FR, on my rig. 2-4 fps, I would guess.

If you're thinking of getting TIR3, spend the extra $ for the Pro, the resolution is much higher (smoother panning). In fact, TIR2 is smoother than the non-Pro TIR3, but TIR2 can't use the vector expansion.

Unless you play alot of CFS3, GTR, or some other game that implements the 6DOF feature (this game doesn't, and won't), you can skip the vector expansion. It has very little effect in FB. You can always get it later if you decide you need it, like when BoB comes out.

Freelancer-1
04-07-2005, 09:45 AM
To put it simply, if my IR3pro was broken, I wouldn't fly again until it was fixed.

Get the pro and enjoy, my friend, enjoy.

mareis1977
04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilburnator:
Unless you play alot of CFS3, GTR, or some other game that implements the 6DOF feature (this game doesn't, and won't), you can skip the vector expansion. It has very little effect in FB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I hope the guys who say the VE has little use in this game have at least tried it.

Yes, it doesn't add features, but it improves the TrackIR way more than the any of the other revisions (2/3/Pro) have. The fact that it will add even more to possible future purchases shouldn't be considered a negative point.

DONB3397
04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
First, if you bought PF, you'll get a $30 discount with the TIR3 Pro. Second, it would be worth it at twice the price.

If you get it, take the time to read the 'readme' and work on the settings. Learn how to center quickly. Then enjoy. If you have a reasonably good graphics card and enough ram, it'll change the sim experience. At least it did for me. The 3pro is worth the extra, I think.

TX-EcoDragon
04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't have it and can't comment on how handy it is, but here is a better price on the combo package:
https://magnum-pc.securewebsiteserver.net/product_info.php?products_id=671&osCsid=1dad81bb0e316a584034de4cd9f52800

Here is the TrackIR 3 Pro only, for 119.00: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TRACKIR3PRO&cpc=SCH

Or with the 30 off coupon in your PF package the TrackIR3 Pro comes to $109 direct from natural point.com.