PDA

View Full Version : Level Bombing Question

redmanekadrin
02-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Do the level bombing sights affect how the bombs are dropped, or do they just fine tune the planes flight to line you up and let you know when to drop?

And if say the leader of a bomber flight is on target, and you're keeping a good formation and just drop your bombs when he does, will your bombs land relative to his?

I've been enjoying the big bombers lately, but I don't like fiddling with the sights at all, would be nice to not have to worry about them and just keep formation (Would also be nice if IL-2: CoD allows other people to be the bombardier while I just pilot).

Treetop64
02-28-2011, 01:02 AM
> How well you use the bomb sight will definitely affect how accurate your bombing is, so yes.

> If you're keeping formation and you drop your bombs when the leader drops his, then yes, they will land relative where the leader's bombs land.

M_Gunz
02-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Except that by the time you see the lead plane's bombs dropping while yours are still in the rack and then add your reflex time... at high alt bomber speed the whole mess will strike in a different pattern than the formation is flying. IRL that's how it was done from B-17's and B-29's, only two planes of the formation carried a Norden sight to reduce chances of one being captured. The lead bombardier sighted the front edge of the target area and the bombs trailed across from there. I learned that from a WWII bombardier back in 1998, he consulted on B-17II and his picture is inside the box. My copy is autographed.

Crash_Moses
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Just click the link in my sig and all your questions will be answered...

Well...maybe not all of them, but most of them!

Well...maybe not most of them, but the important ones!

S!

TheCrux
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
It's definately worth it to learn the auto and manual bombsight usage. You might think it's too much trouble at first, but like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. With the exception some fast fighter bombers or dive bombers, you're never going to realize the potential of a bomber the way you could with an accurate level drop from higher up. Like getting your first online kill, the thrill of getting a good bomb drop is one to be savored, especially if your drop takes out the objective and wins the map.

I was determined to master it because I got tired of getting chewed up by AA by coming in low, and trying to egress safely from fighters down well below the best performance of a particular bomber. I've seen some snide comments on chats attempting to claim that level bombing is taking the easy way out or somehow cheating. This from those that either are too stubborn to learn and try to drop at very low level and get killed, or by fighter jocks only interested in digfights/kills frustrated thatthey can't climb from the deck to pursue me by the time I'm well into friendly territory.

There seem to be 2 schools of thought on bombsight use:

One is to have tables ( or compile their own data ) of true airspeed and accurate altitude above MSL of the target and use the auto tracking feature. The advantage of this is less data to compile but even then you are quite busy managing and adjusting to keep the crosshairs on target.

The other is to use the auto sight manually by compiling look-up tables based on trial and error ( although guided by TAS knowledge ) of a series of bombsight angles + throttle angle settings vs. altitude, and drop manually. This works good if you stick to one type of A/C or map scenario. It requires diligence to get but when it works you can smack a bridge from 4500 meters right on the money.

You can do the same as above for manual only sights ( like on the PE-2 ) as well.

Crash_Moses' link shows an excellent guide and is a good way to get the feel of what to do, and you can then tailor this to another A/C with some tweaking.

ytareh
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
OMG Crash thanks for that !Afther all these years Ive finally found out how to work B25 speedo....so its in jumps of FOUR MPH from 160 to 200...

Woke_Up_Dead
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Does anyone else find that if you go by the Soviet manual bombsight you will always drop too late? I hit the target only if I remember to drop bombs when the target is at the top of the bubble, not in the middle of it.

TheCrux
02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
Does anyone else find that if you go by the Soviet manual bombsight you will always drop too late? I hit the target only if I remember to drop bombs when the target is at the top of the bubble, not in the middle of it.

I haven't really found that as I have hit targets online before, but it could very well be. In my case I've only bombed sea level targets like port facilities in the Pe-2, so that takes the altitude variable out ( although I add 10 or 20 meters to compensate for structures ) and I may have tended to round my TAS inputs to the next lowest 10kmh number. Also, I tend to bracket my drops by continually releasing just before, druring, and after the crosshairs cross the target. Generally too in online situations my first priority is to quickly set an egress course and get out of the area...so I may not be totally aware of my error direction, but was just glad I hit something and got out in 1 piece.

You got me thinking now and I'm curious and want to try. Others I know will be glad for any info.

Crash_Moses
02-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
OMG Crash thanks for that !Afther all these years Ive finally found out how to work B25 speedo....so its in jumps of FOUR MPH from 160 to 200...

You're most welcome. Seems I need to do more advertising.

On the same page as my guide is an excellent bombing manual by AWL_Spinner and a great video by Joe90 (of Faith, Hope and Charity fame) on how to manual bomb. In fact, though I hate to admit it, all my charts and tables are overkill. Joe90s' technique is quite superb.

Posted Mon February 28 2011 15:30 Hide Post

If you're refering to the bombsight on the PE-2 that one is tricky to master. I've found that it helps to factor in the height of the target above sea level (although I usually just try to guess). Spinner's guide has a good section on the PE-2 and the guide that came with the PE-2 expansion is very helpful.

However, there is (was...I haven't checked the accuracy of my tables lately) a bug that affects the other bombsights in game (as far as I know it doesn't affect the PE-2 sight). The TAS indicator is off by about 10% which is one reason I decided to sit down and draw up the tables. The TAS indicator in no-cockpit view is correct though.

S!

Sokol__1
03-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Use Shturman.

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=45040

Takes into account altitude of target, temperature at altitude of the aircraft (each IL-2 map has it's temperature) and barometric pressure, to determine drop angles.

Sokol1

Crash_Moses
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Ooooh...interesting. I haven't started translating it yet but could it be an effective replacement for Bombsight Table 2?