PDA

View Full Version : running lights?

buzzsaw1939
09-14-2007, 03:45 PM
How do you get your flight to turn off their lights? or dose it matter in game? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

triad773
09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Don't think you can in single player mode. Doesn't seem to effect the AI from what I've experienced.

Comes in handy online though.

polak5
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Sry buzz dont think you can order them to do that.

buzzsaw1939
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks Triad.. It didn't seem to matter in single, but it makes me twichy when my flight follows me around drawing fire! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

A friend sent me a recording of a flight from a campagn, and I noticed it! I was hopeing it would just be a thing that happens when you turn yours off, guess not! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Lurch1962
09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
In offline play I strongly doubt that the nav lights factor one iota into AI awareness of a plane's presence. In the darkest night with your lights off, you'll still be seen and sniped at as though it were day, methinks.

Choctaw111
09-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I saw a very strange thing once. In an FMB mission that I was flying with my squadron I was shooting down an FW190 and just as he was going down the 190 turned on his marker lights and turned them right back off again. At first I thought I was shooting at one of my squad mates as I have NEVER seen this type of behavior in an AI plane before but was relieved to see that my eyes weren't deceiving me and it really was a 190 that I shot down.
But I do agree with the assessment that AI pilots cannot "see" when you have your marker lights on.

fabianfred
09-15-2007, 01:25 AM
the AI put them on at night....but also often turn them off when in contact or near their target

leitmotiv
09-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Due to the lack of engine exhaust flare in the game, the the night action is silly. Offline, with all those targets flying with lights on, except for a small handful, like the C-47, which do not use lights at night, the action is even sillier. I played the game at night for ages until willing suspension of disbelief became impossible.

fabianfred
09-15-2007, 03:53 AM
I made a nightfighter mission with PE8's as Lancasters....when i tried changing them to B24 or others they put their nav lights on and spoiled it....the PE8's didn't use any so they stay!!

Markku38
09-15-2007, 05:10 AM
In real life...

"It was not dark yet, when the UIL-2 taxied to the runway and took off. It circled the airfield and did a perfect three-point landing. Again it took off, climbed, and flew aside to wait until it was dark.We did not have to wait long. Darkness was crawling fast from the mountains. We could no longer see the Shturmovik, then it roared above the airfield. We spotted it by the glare from the exhaust rather than by its navigation lights. It was a surprise for many of us.

´It can be spotted even when the navigation lights are off`, somebody said disappointedly. ´With U-2 it was different.`
´On a U-2 the five cylinders and exhaust stubs are placed in the manifold. Here fire gushes out of twelve cylinders`, explained a mechanic."
The plane circled the airfield and began to descend slowly. The roar changed as the pilot reduced throttle. The flame was even brighter now. We listened intently, waiting for the moment of contact, but the engine started again very close to us. The pilot made a new circle, and tried to land again, but in vain. He climbed again and transmitted: ´The glare is blinding me. I can't see the lamps. I'll keep trying...`

Galushenko managed to land at the fifth try only, and he still missed the guiding lamps. Fortunately, there was no ditch there, and our only dual-control plane was safe."

Quote by book "Red Star Against the Swastika - The Story of a Soviet Pilot over the Eastern Front" (Vasily B. Emelianenko)

SeaFireLIV
09-15-2007, 07:13 AM
I know this music...

Offline AI cannot be ordered to turn its lights off. It will turn its lights off in combat or in close enemy proximity.

Bombers are terrible for not turning their lights off, flying along merrily as they are shot down.

As far as I can tell, AI doesn`t `see` or `target` you any more with lights on or off. But fighting them in the dark is a nightmare as once they do `target` you they do not appear to suffer from ay kind of night blindness.