PDA

View Full Version : About to go teamspeak, need ideas on headset etc

stugumby
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
just downloaded but havnt installed teamspeak, what type of head set and conection will i need, i have 2 usb unused on front and 1 unused in back as well as a green mike plug unused in back.? also need to update drivers on ac-97 onboard sound but realteks websight had one humoungus 28mb with lots of codecs and things i dont understand. Can i get some pointers?

SithSpeeder
04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Assuming you have speakers for in-game sound, definitely go USB with the headset/mic combo as it will allow you to pipe Teamspeak just through the headset (much more immersive, IMO).

A decent USB headset will set you back anywhere from $30-70.

The most important thing is comfort, especially if you are not using them for listening to music much.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

x6BL_Brando
04-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I scrabbled around and worked out a way to use both USB and my Audigy2 ZS with headphones, as I fly mostly late in the evening when speakers are not in the marriage contract http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I plug the green audio jack into the speaker controller on my Logitech Z4s. This means I hear the game, along with any TS communications, via the Audigy.

I plug the pink jack into the USB adapter that came with my Sennheiser headphones. Then I plug an old headset into the green socket on the USB adapter. That last bit is because the adapter wont work if the green jack is empty, but no sound comes from them as I've set the playback to the Audigy....

This can be set up in Windows and Teamspeak quite easily, and it's not even necessary to run the mike with any sound acceleration. My buddies still hear my voice clearly, but I've minimised the CPU cycles AND taken a certain %age of strain off the APU of the Audigy.

I set it up as a response to echoes that I was getting with TS enabled entirely through the soundcard. It's the best sound setup I've had and I recommend this way of using the two solutions together.

B

mavd24
04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
How do you set up the head set to just play the teamspeak. This is a feature I want to use very bad. I do not have a usb headset though. Do I need one .

Cheers

Mobius One

Widowmaker214
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I recommend anything by Plantronics.
First one I had was the smaller type.. it was the same type that came with microsofts game voice..and it lasted 4 years till the ear covers rotted off and then I moved up to a bigger size. Open ear design. That was awesome sound wise till I yanked the cord out of the side by accident one day.
I have an audio 360 closed ear right now that sounds fantastic.. though while talking Im just not used to my voice sounding a bit muffled from the closed ear design. I wish Id have gone with the open ear..

So.. if you like closed ear Id recommend the plantronics audio 360

For open ear.. Id recommend something like their audio 370

Chivas
04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a box of broken headsets in the closet. All makes mostly their highend ones, that usually lasted only a few months.

I'm very happy with the Speed Link Medusa surround sound headset that I've currently had for two or three years. Very well made and stand up the abuse I give them.

~Salute~
Chivas

WWSpinDry
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Why would you need a USB set? Just curious. I use my headset/mike both for in-game sound and TeamSpeak and just use the regular phones & mike jacks.

Jaws2002
04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
USB sound is not that good. Specially if you are going to run the game through it.

Most people have good sound cards in their machines and USB head sets don't use the sound card for the sound so you end up with a cheapo little sound unit on the cable to generate all the sounds in game.
You can kiss good bye all the nice effects the game and a good sound card produces.
I had 3-4 plantronics headsets and I found the most expensive USB ones to have the worst sound.

Bearcat99
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by WWSpinDry:
Why would you need a USB set? Just curious. I use my headset/mike both for in-game sound and TeamSpeak and just use the regular phones & mike jacks.

Using a USB headset will allow you to separate the sounds. My PC is in the basement... and I prefer to have the sim sounds coming through the 5.1s... Comms however can be a bit boomy that way.. not to mention the occasional colorful phrase that my pop out over comms... and I don't want my son hearing it.

Originally posted by mavd24:
How do you set up the head set to just play the teamspeak. This is a feature I want to use very bad. I do not have a usb headset though. Do I need one .
Cheers
Mobius One

Hmmmmmm Mobius one.... I know a Mobius one... Havent seen him for a while.. are you him?

If you want to have sim sounds coming through the speakers and comms through the headset yes. I believe if you have onboard sound and a soundcard you can hook up the headphones to one and use the other for game sounds.. but on some MOBOs that creates a conflict. But it has been known to work. TS has a configuration screen where you can assign the sound source and USB headsets are seen by windows as a seperate sound source. You will have to go back into Control Panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices> and set the audio for the AC97/soundcard... but go to TS and send the TS sound to the headset.
http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/Untitled-1.gif
IMO the USB option is just a lot cleaner and simpler all around. I use my headphones solely for TS and it works like a champ for me. If that is what you are after then USB is the way to go. I use the Altec Lansing USB headset http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7650/7650491_ra.jpg (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7650491&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat110000050028&id=1134699426728)

The thing I like about this particular one is that the USB part is about the size of a flash drive. The standard mini RCA jacks plug into that. If the phones go bad as they do just replace them with standard phones. I opted to get the product replacement plan.. it is only @ $9.. and when it craps out you can just take back the headset.. get the same thing and you have another USB adapter. Since as I said.. I prefer to have ther sim sounds coming through my 5.1 speakers... this setup is great for me since I dont have to try to filter out sim sounds from comms.. the comms come over my headset.. while the engines & guns come from the outside.

Lastly..... I highly recommend that you get a soundcard. You can get a Audigy SE for @ $29... you wioll see better sound and improved overall gameplay.

p-11.cAce
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I use a Plantronics USB headset now, but used a $10 headset from radio shack for years. The USB sound quality for ingame sounds is not as good with the USB because the soundcard (in the "brick" on the usb cable) is not as good as the one in my PC. Since IL2 uses "rendered" sounds the quality of the sounds in game is directly tied to the quality of the soundcard in your system.

x6BL_Brando
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
The USB sound quality for ingame sounds is not as good with the USB because the soundcard (in the "brick" on the usb cable) is not as good as the one in my PC. Since IL2 uses "rendered" sounds the quality of the sounds in game is directly tied to the quality of the soundcard in your system.

Exactly...hence the workaround shown here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/brando6BL/TS.jpg

Works a treat! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B

WB_Outlaw
04-24-2007, 03:46 PM
If you decide to go with a USB setup and play the game sounds through speakers, PLEASE GET A NOISE CANCELLING RIG. Otherwise others will hear your game sounds everytime you transmit. I don't know about others but that's a fast way to get muted by me.

--Outlaw.

WWSpinDry
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Roger that. I don't use external speakers for anything, so there's no benefit for me to try USB headphones.

BM357_Sniper
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Myself and a few others don't use USB headsets but we still run TS through the earphones and the game sounds through the 5.1 speakers. If your computer came with an onboard sound card and you have an aftermarket sound card as well you can do it through options in TS.