PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone know of any R/C Modelling forums for Building WWI BiPlanes?

JG51Beolke
02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to finish my first WWI R/C kit of Flair's 61" wingspan, Sopwith Pup. I've got the tail feathers and the fuselage done, but my confusion is that there's just plans for the Lower Port and Starbord wing halves, but none for the Upper Wing halves. For the Upper wing halves, do I just build them the same, but exclude what just went into the lower wing? It's my first time building a WWI bipe, and the Flair plans are a little vague when it comes to my confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The instructions only say to ask someone at your local flying club for help, but there's none here where I live. I just goto the local sod farm to fly. And if anyone knows of a real good forum to goto for more help, can you please post a link.

Much appreciation and thank you in advance..........

JG51Beolke
02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to finish my first WWI R/C kit of Flair's 61" wingspan, Sopwith Pup. I've got the tail feathers and the fuselage done, but my confusion is that there's just plans for the Lower Port and Starbord wing halves, but none for the Upper Wing halves. For the Upper wing halves, do I just build them the same, but exclude what just went into the lower wing? It's my first time building a WWI bipe, and the Flair plans are a little vague when it comes to my confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The instructions only say to ask someone at your local flying club for help, but there's none here where I live. I just goto the local sod farm to fly. And if anyone knows of a real good forum to goto for more help, can you please post a link.

Much appreciation and thank you in advance..........

3.JG51_BigBear
02-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I've built a couple of RC bipes. My baby is a Great Lakes with a zenoah g62. If the Pup is like other bipes I've run across, the bottom wing should have a diehedral and the top wing should be straight across. Instructions are always **** for RC kits but the plans should at least give you some indication of what to do. Another solution is to look for plans online of the same plane made by a different manufacturer and see how the wing halves of the bottom compare to the wing halves on the top. If they are the same you'll probably be safe.

I don't know if you've built bipes before, but the angle of incidence of the wings is key on these. I've seen guys get away with a lot on monoplanes but with a bipe it has to be perfect or you'll have serious control problems. Also make sure that your cabanes (I know how to say it don't know how to spell it) and your struts are really siff. A lot of stress gets put on those and they have a tendancy to warp out of shape in the air messing witht the incidence and alignement.

JG51Beolke
02-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Ahh, yes, I should have mentioned that the upper wing is practically identical, except the uppers would be less the parts for the bottoms. That's what lead me to believe you built the uppers the same as the lowers. Plus, there's a slew of 4 identical wing ribs all numbered the same. The cabanes are very stiff (Aluminum I think). They're screwed into 2 hardwood blocks where I reinforced inside the screw holes with CA within the fuselage.

Thanks for the responce sir. Please, everyone, keep the help coming, lololololol

Thanks again

RocketDog
02-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Pup has dihedral on both upper and lower planes. It's the Camel with a flat upper plane and dihedraled (sp?) lower plane.

I've got an 80% finished Flair quarter-scale Dr I in the loft. Must finish it off some time. My biggest was the DB models 25% Blackburn monoplane.

Regards,

RocketDog.