PDA

View Full Version : How do you like ACR writer Darby McDevitt's writing and dialogue direction?

SweetsMachineGun
12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I was just wondering what other people thought of Darby McDevitt's now greater influence on the Assassin's Creed story. He was the script writer behind Bloodlines and later became a main script writer for Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Personally, I think he's done a really great job and I hope to see him have a large part in the future of the franchise. I absolutely love the depth he puts into characterization and his focus on development through character relationships. It's good to see a video game writer who actually puts some thoughts into the psychology of the characters. I feel like AC:R is one of the most dramatic additions to the Assassin's Creed story so far, and it pulls it off without being too melodramatic, which is great. I feel like the overarching purpose and goals behind the story could be a little more clear and that some story segments (Altair's especially) could have been fleshed out more, I was pretty impressed with the campaign story considering the game's production time.

I really think the female characters (sans Lucy and Rebecca) are way more interesting in every game he's written as well. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thoughts?

Serrachio
12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
What characterization?

The four most prominent characters besides Ezio barely had any on-screen time, and did not develop into full-bodied characters in their own right.

They had personality traits, but they were never really explored to their fullest potential.

Also, considering plot, it is quite disappointing that for the entire story, it is only the ending that actually picks up the pace, after a long and drawn out approach that is unappealing in the scope of the entire game.

For all the other elements, there was a lack of side missions that did not revolve around the Assassins, and gave it a boring feel to be so encompassed by them. They did not explore on the other factions and the reason why people loved them is because they introduced us to characters such as Bartolomeo and La Volpe while giving something to the player to distract them from the main storyline.

Unless he improves his technique, Darby should stick to the short side games on the DS and PSP.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I like the main direction of the story - the story itself was good and this time, clear enough for even me to understand while I focus alot on gameplay stuff. (that always interferes w/ details of the story for me).

What I did feel was strongly lacking were a few things but I don't know if other writers add this sort of element to his work or how it works w/ writing staff.

There should have been a stronger Romance btwn. Ezio & Sofia. You could tell they were totally into each other & yet nothing was strongly pursued by either. That could have been maximized. Instead, we got to hear Ezio's strong feelings thru a letter to Claudia :/

I know, the story was that Ezio didn't want to involve her & that's why - but still - SOMETHING... some strong sexual inuendo... anything. Please throw me a bone here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

In his favor tho, that White Tulip scene was genius http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Also, there wasn't much character build up and much of anything on a personal level w/ any of them to get very close.

Now I did love Yusuf, he was too playful & funny not to love... but I'd of loved some more dialog btwn him & Ezio on personal issues to bond w/ the characters better.

Same w/ Sofia. There was just all business going on w/ the mission and the Order & not much else.
ACII did a GREAT job with the personal stuff - helping you bond w/ each one.

Also, I think the mystery & suspense need ampage. Something that gives you those kool eerie feelings.

I know in ACB my brain was racing, wondering if Machiavelli (sp) was actually a traitor.. not that it has to be that, but.. it makes you anxious for the next scenes.

I'm Hoping our next Protagonist gets tangled up w/ a love interest or something - something on a personal scale to draw me into their drama.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

But I DO love ACR's story. The Assassin business side of it was done well imo. Very clear and the ending was brilliant.

I don't know Altair, but thru the writing, I gained a respect for him & all he put into the Order.

SweetsMachineGun
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
@Serrachio

Hmm. Fair points. Although I believe some characterization suffered as a result of the compactness of the game rather than Darby himself. However, I don't agree that the assassins were the only faction with a focus. The Janissaries had a decent amount focus, and Tarik was a rather interesting character, especially with his connections to events in Cappadocia. I feel characters like Machiavelli and La Volpe hold weight simply because they were in more than one game. They really don't have any more on-screen time than Yusuf or Suleiman. -- The Romanies also represented another interesting side faction, but hardly anything was done with them. They had a lot of potential, but it was kind of wasted.

As far as personalities not being explored to their fullest potential, I do agree with you on that. I feel that all the side characters could have had more of a presence -- in fact I would have preferred that to having narrated side missions with your recruits, but I feel like overall the characters were still communicated well and grew through each other. And again, I feel this is an issue of time constraints rather than Darby. They were trying to jam pack the game with the stories of three different assassins. It seems like a lot to juggle with such a short production period.

And personally, I felt the climax of the story was well-placed. *SPOILERS* Although I thought the whole parachute wagon chase and mid-air fist fight was hilariously over-the-top, it was still awesome.

@ProdiGurl

I enjoyed the Tulip scene as well. Ezio cutting flowers with his hidden blade was SO cute. I wouldn't mind more romance, but I wonder if it would be a turn off for some of the guys that play.

EscoBlades
12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Well said Shark and Prodigurl, i agree wth most of your points on Darby's involvement as well.

I too would like to see a/ any future protagonist(s) involved in some sort of love affair, even if it turns out to be ill fated.

Also, its important to remember that Corey May remains head storyteller/ writer. Darby and others have the task of developing an engaging script based on the direction given by Corey, and within the confines of the overarching storyline set out when Assassin's Creed entered existence.

lilshawty741
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I still think the writing for ac1 was the best but Darby's ok. I don't think he's as good at letting the player get inside ezio's head and really understand what he's thinking. In ac2 I had a much better idea of what ezio really thought, but maybe that's just me.

Sarari
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't like it. Dialogue's very corny and cheesy at times, and they're over doing this whole story. AC1 and 2 had great dialogues and writing. They should hire the old writers back.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Oh, one quick addition that should not be overlooked.

HUMOR. ACR was full of hilarious bits throughout it. I never laughed so hard in an AC game.

That is so refreshing to me to hear citizens hysterical comments as they talk to each other, the Doctor's "remedies" lol
The Minstrel mission....

Ezio's comments to some Recruits. Loved it.

I hope the writers are never afraid to give us humor in AC.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Edit in:
@ Sarari, I'm trying to remember what was cheesy?

Assassin_M
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Sarari:
I don't like it. Dialogue's very corny and cheesy at times, and they're over doing this whole story. AC1 and 2 had great dialogues and writing. They should hire the old writers back.
The old writers are still there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
And Speaking of corny and cheesy, anyone remember "Insieme perla Vittoria"?????????

EscoBlades
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

THIS! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Sarari
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I remember that in ACB. That was the worst part EVER in game history. Remembering that scene just gives me ******-chills. It was so bad.

The old writers might be there, but they're not head writers.

SteelCity999
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
This is sort of a tough one really.

ALOT of the problems with the story stem from the 1 year cycle. Darby has to create a story that fits the gameplay parameters and is feasible in the short amount of time available to produce everything. We'll never know what the original full fledged stories were that were first introduced and what was left on the cutting room floor or added in, etc. Also, there has to be some time devoted to AC3 in ACR dev process because otherwise the transition wouldn't make a bit of sense.

AC2 had the benefit of time to develop everything and find ways to make it work - it still wasn't truly finished, aka DLC. You have to figure Darby has about 6 months at most to have a workable story that can be started in production of the game - obviously with minor changes along the way. Given the constraints he faces he hasn't done a bad job. If anyone has issues it should be with the people at Ubi running the show and not Darby.

SteelCity999
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM

HUMOR. ACR was full of hilarious bits throughout it. I never laughed so hard in an AC game.

That is so refreshing to me to hear citizens hysterical comments as they talk to each other, the Doctor's "remedies" lol
The Minstrel mission....

Humor is one of the best things in some of THE BEST games ever made. It gives an easy outlet to personalize the franchise and the characters as well as being entertaining. Uncharted is good at this - just off the top of my head.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
@ProdiGurl

I enjoyed the Tulip scene as well. Ezio cutting flowers with his hidden blade was SO cute. I wouldn't mind more romance, but I wonder if it would be a turn off for some of the guys that play.

Yep, that's always my concern too... when I first joined this forum, I came in to ask about Ezio & Romance/the girl thing.

I think it's a fine line btwn a girly Harlequin romance novel and a kool, sexy relationship going on w/ an interesting female character.

If it isn't done all Twilight sappy, guys might like it.
But amazingly, I didn't hear any guys bashing on the Tulip scene - they thought it was a nice touch. I think it could be bcuz Sofia was a nice female character - it was pretty tasteful & classy, not a lame shot at jamming some romance in.
It was just well done w/ the blade cutting those flowers.

I remember when I first saw that, my blood pressure went up & I got giddy lol That's some good writing.

EscoBlades
Well said Shark and Prodigurl, i agree wth most of your points on Darby's involvement as well.

I too would like to see a/ any future protagonist(s) involved in some sort of love affair, even if it turns out to be ill fated.

Also, its important to remember that Corey May remains head storyteller/ writer. Darby and others have the task of developing an engaging script based on the direction given by Corey, and within the confines of the overarching storyline set out when Assassin's Creed entered existence.

I'd love to have a discussion on possible female involvements - I bond with characters quickly when that's involved... but then, I'm a girl.
I also wouldn't mind something on the level of what ACB started out like w/ Catarina.

I was kind of hoping she might be a little trouble too - add to the suspense... like maybe she's giving the enemy info and not even realizing it/who they are.

Something with an edge. Thanks for sharing that.

Sarari
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree with you steel. It is technically Ubisoft's fault. If they gave him 2 years at least, he would do an amazing job with the dialogue and story writing.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Esco, do you know what kind of hours the staff works? I don't know how they find personal time with what they must do.
I'm really interested in that kind of stuff.

(I don't mean to go off topic)

Inorganic9_2
12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
"Insieme per la vittoria" was fine...when Mario said to Ezio during the villa attack. Elsewhere...not so much :P

Speaking of the humour, I heard a doctor mention "I have sulphur powder and saltpeter to clear away those nasty earaches". Doesn't sound too impressive, but with the knowledge that these are two components of gunpowder, it becomes funnier :P

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
"Insieme per la vittoria" was fine...when Mario said to Ezio during the villa attack. Elsewhere...not so much :P

Speaking of the humour, I heard a doctor mention "I have sulphur powder and saltpeter to clear away those nasty earaches". Doesn't sound too impressive, but with the knowledge that these are two components of gunpowder, it becomes funnier :P

Oh I know - the Dr. in ACR was prescribing GARLIC poultices to cure Halitosis !! lolol
I died laughing.
Some of the guards were mentioning halitosis too - I swear they were on a halitosis tangent in this game.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sarari
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
The only part "Insieme per la vittoria" was fine was in the beginning in the Villa attack. The ending where you fight with the apple against the Borgia guards was corny when he said it. It gives me the weirdest sense of disgust and chills.

SweetsMachineGun
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I do agree the added humor was great. Also, I'm not sure how many of you played through Desmond's journey, but I loved his monologues.

And adding to random **** NPCs say, I once heard a random citizen go: "I really find these clothes quite distateful, it's as if and artist randomly generated the colors from a pre-set palette." or something along those lines. I don't know who put that in there, but it was a hilarious reference to the art team.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I didn't get to any Desmond stuff while I had the game rental of it. But my ACR order just came in the mail yesterday so I'll be playing those this time around.
I'll pay attn to that.

lol ya those random bits of humor are great while you're sneaking around on your missions
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EscoBlades
12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey Esco, do you know what kind of hours the staff works? I don't know how they find personal time with what they must do.

Great question. From what little i know, the bulk of the writing occurs sometime between January and May (depending on deadlines and proposed release date)

I know the writers worked some late hours in that time. Also there's always rewrites, revisions and approvals happening throughout the year. Assuming a November release date, writing (in some form) can continue up till August. Of course, that's all an educated guess.

I actually like this thread mainly because i'm really keen to get Darby back on the podcast at some point. I have so many questions to put to him, and i'm sure lots of you do as well.

For instance, Darby works closely with other writers, the Mission Director and the Creative Director. It would be interesting to know how many of his story proposals get approved and how many don't make it through.

Edit: All the crowd and guard dialogue in game is written by Nick Grimwood. If i remember right, he did the same for ACB. I hear all that amounted to 300+ pages of dialogue http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

lukaszep
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I love what he's done for AC:R. I don't know why some people complain. His style is subtle, but he captures characters brilliantly. Ezio's final story was perfect, and so was Altair's. He's the best new thing about AC:R.

luckyto
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I think he did a FANTASTIC job compared to Brotherhood. That story was trash. Revelations story was great. He needed a couple more sequences to really build on these characters (and the villains, villains need to provide good tension)... but I don't think that's his fault. For the allotted time of story given to him, he did a really good job.

--------
On the writing process:
All professional writing is full of a thousand revisions. Typically, the days get longer the closer the deadline comes. At least PR and pub writing is that way. Writing always comes with a deadline; and that deadline is always going to effect the quality of the work.

The whole writing team is at the whim of the head of production and the development timeline; to a large degree. So when it comes lack of characterization, there is only so much that can be done in a certain amount of screen time.

They made good use of their cinematics and in-story exposition this time. I can't fault them for their not being enough of it.

xCr0wnedNorris
12-22-2011, 12:42 PM

The Minstrel mission....

*Walking around Constantinople, killing guards, gaining awareness from Templars.*
*Finds a Herald and pays him money.*
As I'm walking away;
"Stricter laws have been passed on reckless caravan drivers. Also, guards will not except excuses like 'he was in my blind spot.'"
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/lolololol.gif

D.I.D.
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Hard to tell at this point. I don't know how much of ACR's plot was down to him, or if it was already mapped out before he took the head writer position.

I think there are good signs in his writing so far. There are lots of good signs in the cut scenes of ACR: some in the dialogue, some in the subtler parts of the animation.

ACR was just peculiar as a plot. There's a huge amount of tension and mystery missing. Everything is so casual and relaxed. The Templars are looking for the keys, and it's vital that you reach them first... whenever you fancy getting round to it. The guards aren't menacing because you're not on their radar. You can even walk around their regiment camps and they don't care (as long as you wander in through the gap in the ramparts). There's a local assassin group, and they're doing fine. No problems there, except they need someone in Human Resources to improve the workforce.

There's a political line involving a bunch of half-Templars about who gets to be Sultan, but it's got nothing to do with why Ezio is there and it's not a big deal when he discovers it. It's not a Templar vs Assassin thing, and none of it is going to make much difference to his own problems since his enemies will remain rich and powerful no matter where they are on that ladder. It's a long term issue which has no impact on Ezio's short term plans. And apparently he's in a bit of a hurry.

It would be an okay plot for a middle-section story, in an "of all the Templar-controlled cities, in all the world, and you had to walk into mine" kind of way, but it's completely ill-fitting for the grand finale of this big character.

Sync became a bit crazy this time round as well. Remember how 100% sync was meant to represent the way Ezio truly achieved a particular objective in his own time? There's that cute mission in ACR where you have to retrieve Sofia's stolen painting from the unwitting market trader who bought it. You could pay for it with money, but that's not what Ezio did. Ezio stole it without being seen, so that's what you must do. So far, so morally dubious.

I tipped the morality scales into "fully reprehensible" by throwing a lethal bomb from a distance. Then I walked up and took the painting. Then I took the painting to Sofia, with a charming smile. The game awarded me 100% sync, because that's precisely what Ezio really did. In order to retrieve a painting without being seen, he killed a market trader in a terrorist attack in a crowded shopping centre. And then laughed it off. The anti-swearing policy on here prevents me from describing how completely [verb]ing bat[noun] that is.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
EscoBlades

quote:

Great question. From what little i know, the bulk of the writing occurs sometime between January and May (depending on deadlines and proposed release date)

I know the writers worked some late hours in that time. Also there's always rewrites, revisions and approvals happening throughout the year. Assuming a November release date, writing (in some form) can continue up till August. Of course, that's all an educated guess.

I actually like this thread mainly because i'm really keen to get Darby back on the podcast at some point. I have so many questions to put to him, and i'm sure lots of you do as well.

For instance, Darby works closely with other writers, the Mission Director and the Creative Director. It would be interesting to know how many of his story proposals get approved and how many don't make it through.

Edit: All the crowd and guard dialogue in game is written by Nick Grimwood. If i remember right, he did the same for ACB. I hear all that amounted to 300+ pages of dialogue Surprised

That is so interesting! I can't imagine 300 pages of just that. So much work goes into all this. I have to credit them on helping me learn Curse words in Italian too. lol

Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

The Minstrel mission....

*Walking around Constantinople, killing guards, gaining awareness from Templars.*
*Finds a Herald and pays him money.*
As I'm walking away;
"Stricter laws have been passed on reckless caravan drivers. Also, guards will not except excuses like 'he was in my blind spot.'"
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/lolololol.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was another good one lol
I liked how the Herald would give a laugh after you pay him.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Sync became a bit crazy this time round as well. Remember how 100% sync was meant to represent the way Ezio truly achieved a particular objective in his own time? There's that cute mission in ACR where you have to retrieve Sofia's stolen painting from the unwitting market trader who bought it. You could pay for it with money, but that's not what Ezio did. Ezio stole it without being seen, so that's what you must do. So far, so morally dubious.

I tipped the morality scales into "fully reprehensible" by throwing a lethal bomb from a distance. Then I walked up and took the painting. Then I took the painting to Sofia, with a charming smile. The game awarded me 100% sync, because that's precisely what Ezio really did. In order to retrieve a painting without being seen, he killed a market trader in a terrorist attack in a crowded shopping centre.

Um no, Ezio didn't do it that way, you did.
I used a smoke bomb & took it back.

When the cops go to a Pawn shop & find stolen property do you think they pay the Pawn shop owner for it so they can hand it back to the rightful owner who it was stolen from?
Or should the owner of the stolen property have to pay to get their belongings back?

Not sure how Ezio's some evil monster for getting her portrait back to her - and if you want to go GTA, that's your gig just don't blame others.

D.I.D.
12-22-2011, 01:07 PM

When the cops go to a Pawn shop & find stolen property do you think they pay the Pawn shop owner for it so they can hand it back to the rightful owner who it was stolen from?
Or should the owner of the stolen property have to pay to get their belongings back?

Not sure how Ezio's some evil monster for getting her portrait back to her - and if you want to go GTA, that's your gig just don't blame others.

Apparently what I said flew over your head.

As it happened, at that point in the game I had run out of smoke bombs. I could have gone and bought some, but as an experiment I threw a lethal bomb, and the game thought that was fine. It awarded me 100% sync, which according to the game designers means that's exactly what Ezio did. That's what the whole 100% sync handwave is all about.

InfectedNation
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DoubleclickTF:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Apparently what I said flew over your head.

As it happened, at that point in the game I had run out of smoke bombs. I could have gone and bought some, but as an experiment I threw a lethal bomb, and the game thought that was fine. It awarded me 100% sync, which according to the game designers means that's exactly what Ezio did. That's what the whole 100% sync handwave is all about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're taking it too literally and making it illogical. The 100% just applies to stealing without being detected. Therefore Ezio stole it without being detected, but we don't know EXACTLY how he did that.

Anyway back on topic - I though that Darby really brought the script quality up from Brotherhood and parts of AC2 (Venice sequences had pretty bad dialouge). Characters were so much more interesting yet I do wish they'd spent a little longer to include the characters more - however I loved that Ahmet wasn't just pulled out of nowhere.

SolidSage
12-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I personally think he may be the best writer attched to the series yet, no offense.
Obviously, whoever conceptualized AC as a vision is God, but ACR was a little confined on where the script could go. What I thought made the writing stand out more in this one to me, was the emoting in each scene. I just feel that Ezio seemed more human, along with other characters, how they were written just seemed more real. This was clear early on with the introduction of Yusuf and his interaction with Ezio.
I don't know, it's hard to tell who is individually responible for what, and all Ac's have been good, so I might be going to far to say he could be the best, but he certainly seems to have done a great job continuing the story from where he picked it up from.

D.I.D.
12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by InfectedNation:

You're taking it too literally and making it illogical. The 100% just applies to stealing without being detected. Therefore Ezio stole it without being detected, but we don't know EXACTLY how he did that.

I wish I was, but the game has been very clear on this - if you follow the ancestor's memory exactly, you get perfect synchronisation, and perfect reproduction of the memories can unlock hidden, repressed memories (the Cristina missions, for example). If you get it way off, you become desynchronised and the Animus crashes.

At best, I should have got 50% sync, but really it should have desynchronised at that point. The thing is picky as hell at other times ("Don't use a bladed weapon", and then you get desynced for using a mace, for example). The 'choice' argument isn't appropriate; it's just sloppy writing/designing, which is contributing to a sense among many players that the team cares more about story completion statistics than it does about providing rewarding gameplay.

Sarari
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
The people around Ezio seemed more human, but Ezio looks more like a super hero in every game. The only time he really acted like an average person was whenever he was talking to Sofia, which I really liked. They made Ezio look a lot better in this game.

ProdiGurl
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I wish I was, but the game has been very clear on this - if you follow the ancestor's memory exactly, you get perfect synchronisation, and perfect reproduction of the memories can unlock hidden, repressed memories (the Cristina missions, for example). If you get it way off, you become desynchronised and the Animus crashes.

Ok so you think they should desync everyone for every single variation of every deviation they may do in a mission?

The sync isn't pinpointing exact scenario's, it's asking you to do one aspect of what Ezio did. Otherwise, they'd have to specify a whole list of things Ezio did or used.

So... you could go around beating people up I guess along the way instead. But did he?
I think that can be taken too literally in a game -
the last thing fans want is being desync'd for a list of variations they can't do in a mission.

Mikl-90-
12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, the dialogue is certainly much less cheesy than in ACB. Catherina Sforza's lines were literally embarrassing.

Still, not enough characters and character development. If he can work it out it would be great. I'd keep him over whoever did Brotherhood.

InfectedNation
12-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by DoubleclickTF:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InfectedNation:

At best, I should have got 50% sync, but really it should have desynchronised at that point. The thing is picky as hell at other times ("Don't use a bladed weapon", and then you get desynced for using a mace, for example). The 'choice' argument isn't appropriate; it's just sloppy writing/designing, which is contributing to a sense among many players that the team cares more about story completion statistics than it does about providing rewarding gameplay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I agree with what you're saying - which is why I don't take that feature literally when I play the game - the only time I pay much attention to it is when I'm aiming for an achievement.

freddie_1897
12-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I like the main direction of the story - the story itself was good and this time, clear enough for even me to understand while I focus alot on gameplay stuff. (that always interferes w/ details of the story for me).

What I did feel was strongly lacking were a few things but I don't know if other writers add this sort of element to his work or how it works w/ writing staff.

There should have been a stronger Romance btwn. Ezio & Sofia. You could tell they were totally into each other & yet nothing was strongly pursued by either. That could have been maximized. Instead, we got to hear Ezio's strong feelings thru a letter to Claudia :/

I know, the story was that Ezio didn't want to involve her & that's why - but still - SOMETHING... some strong sexual inuendo... anything. Please throw me a bone here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

In his favor tho, that White Tulip scene was genius http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Also, there wasn't much character build up and much of anything on a personal level w/ any of them to get very close.

Now I did love Yusuf, he was too playful & funny not to love... but I'd of loved some more dialog btwn him & Ezio on personal issues to bond w/ the characters better.

Same w/ Sofia. There was just all business going on w/ the mission and the Order & not much else.

Also, I think the mystery & suspense need ampage. Something that gives you those kool eerie feelings.

I know in ACB my brain was racing, wondering if Machiavelli (sp) was actually a traitor.. not that it has to be that, but.. it makes you anxious for the next scenes.

I'm Hoping our next Protagonist gets tangled up w/ a love interest or something - something on a personal scale to draw me into their drama.

But I DO love ACR's story. The Assassin business side of it was done well imo. Very clear and the ending was brilliant.

I don't know Altair, but thru the writing, I gained a respect for him & all he put into the Order.

personally i'd love it if the next protagonist's love interest was with another man, and he has to slowly win her over. it would show that not every assassin is some sought after dog who could get a women into bed by just looking at them.
Also, it would probably include some funny dialogue and actions

freddie_1897
12-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by freddie_1897:

personally i'd love it if the next protagonist's want-to-be-lover was in love with another man, and he has to slowly win her over. it would show that not every assassin is some sought after dog who could get women into bed by just looking at them.
Also, it would probably include some funny dialogue and actions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JumpInTheFire13
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
What characterization?

The four most prominent characters besides Ezio barely had any on-screen time, and did not develop into full-bodied characters in their own right.

They had personality traits, but they were never really explored to their fullest potential.

Also, considering plot, it is quite disappointing that for the entire story, it is only the ending that actually picks up the pace, after a long and drawn out approach that is unappealing in the scope of the entire game.

For all the other elements, there was a lack of side missions that did not revolve around the Assassins, and gave it a boring feel to be so encompassed by them. They did not explore on the other factions and the reason why people loved them is because they introduced us to characters such as Bartolomeo and La Volpe while giving something to the player to distract them from the main storyline.

Unless he improves his technique, Darby should stick to the short side games on the DS and PSP.

My thoughts exactly

ProdiGurl
12-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by freddie_1897:

personally i'd love it if the next protagonist's love interest was with another man, and he has to slowly win her over. it would show that not every assassin is some sought after dog who could get a women into bed by just looking at them.
Also, it would probably include some funny dialogue and actions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean the next Protagonist will be a female? Err ..? Maybe I'm not understanding that correctly.

Anyways, as for the 'hard to get' thing, ya that works great in a story. I'd like that, it builds alot of emotion.