PDA

View Full Version : How'd they do? [Possible Spoilers]

Sparty2020
11-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Now that Ezio's main story is done let's discuss what Ubi did right and wrong in AC2 and ACB. In addition let's add some possible suggestions for the next game.

What they did right:
Codex: This was easily one of the best things in AC2. As a philosopher I deeply enjoyed reading these and sometimes would wish that Ubi printed them out so I could take them where I wished. Politics, Religion, Fascism, families, and many other topics were discussed and I loved it. It even opened my eyes on a few topics as well. I was extremely disappointed they were removed in ACB and replaced with the cringe-worthy Scrolls of Romulus. I hope Ezio continue's Altair's tradition and writes some Codex pages himself on leadership, virtue, friendship, and society as a whole.

Monterrigioni: I loved rebuilding Monterrigioni Far more than Rome. With Monterrigioni I had that feeling that no matter what I did, whether it was purchasing paintings or stealing from everybody, the people still loved me and the city was truly mine. I could go on killing sprees or renovate the ancient city to make look like Rome and I would still feel satisfied with myself. I was Ezio and Monterrigioni was my castle. I never got that feeling with Rome and instead felt like renovating was a chore. It's truly quality, not quantity, that matters.

Full Sync: The full synchronization idea is fantastic. Despite angering me multiple times when something small like an arrow caught my flying machine a half-second before the mission finished, this full synch gave a much needed difficulty boost to the game without making me give up. The Cristina missions and cheats didn't hurt either.

Repressed memories: While we're talking about Cristina I enjoyed the repressed memories. They showed that Ezio's life was not all fun and games and he had a special place in his heart for the one that got away. Ezio turned from another rich playboy to a human character. Even 8 years after Cristina's death he's still remembering her. I especially enjoyed that the missions didn't involve the Borgia or the Templars, rather focusing on Ezio and Cristina. Would love for something similar to reappear.

Database: While the database for ACB was lackluster the one for AC 2 was fantastic and full of information about every person that Ezio encountered. It had dates, places, descriptions, etc. I loved the database and hope for its re-emergance.

Tombs: Pretty self-explanatory but these things made me feel like I was playing Sands of Time again and I loved it.

Virtual Training: While not exactly an arena, this was still amazing and fun. Some of the challenges are a pain but most (especially the free-run and combat ones) are exciting and compelling.

What I hated:
Shop quests: I cannot even begin to describe my hatred for shop quests. They were random, made no sense (shrunken heads for armor?), and annoying. I hope they don't reappear. Ever.

Potential:
Recruits: For the most part the Assassin Recruits were spot-on. The recruitment process, the customization, the names, the missions, their appearance on Tiber Island. The disappointing part was what little involvement they had on the main story. After the initial recruitment missions they were only relevant for one mission and they didn't even fight in it. What was the point of having 12 Assassins if they served no direct purpose?

What did you guys really enjoy about AC 2 and ACB hope they improve/include in AC 3?

deskpe
11-23-2010, 04:14 AM
i agree with you on all your points.

-on the recruits part, if i remeber right, they werent avaliable when fleeing the vatican with the apple, and thats the only time i felt i needed them.

(they did however look abit epic when i had all my recruits fight the borgia at the colloseum later)

as most of the people here seem to think, i too think they should allow you to take off your armor,

also make all the diff outfits ezio wears in the game avaliable to you (atleast after the main story is done) like the guard disguises, and ac2 costume, and hes normal clothes

dchil279
11-23-2010, 05:24 AM
What I hated:
Shop quests: I cannot even begin to describe my hatred for shop quests. They were random, made no sense (shrunken heads for armor?), and annoying. I hope they don't reappear. Ever.
AGREED

bsmith239
11-23-2010, 08:18 AM
One thing that bothered me about brotherhood was how downtrodden it ended up being. I mean, you start out with this great character/relationship building section with Desmond and Lucy and end with Christina dying in Ezio's arms and Lucy being killed by Desmond via the apple.

Going forward Desmond presumably has no one again with whom he can trust, is probably captured again and going insane.

They couldn't have added in a little light hearted Ezio wooing of some lucky lady to see who would eventually produce the next in the bloodline?

Because only when the baby is born does Ezio's story end.

Piflik
11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I would like to have a more complex control scheme...let's call it Expert-Mode, it is optional and you need to memorize and press more buttons at the same time, so you have better and more precise control over your character...

I also would like to see a little icon or symbol on the ledge my character is currently targeting, so I always know where the automatic jump thingy will take me...I mean internally there has to be some sort of indication for the engine to make the character reach a certain ledge...should be quite trivial to make that information available to the player.

Sparty2020
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by bsmith239:
One thing that bothered me about brotherhood was how downtrodden it ended up being. I mean, you start out with this great character/relationship building section with Desmond and Lucy and end with Christina dying in Ezio's arms and Lucy being killed by Desmond via the apple.

Going forward Desmond presumably has no one again with whom he can trust, is probably captured again and going insane.

They couldn't have added in a little light hearted Ezio wooing of some lucky lady to see who would eventually produce the next in the bloodline?

Because only when the baby is born does Ezio's story end. I kinda liked the Cristina dying section. The look on poor Ezio's face was the first time I saw him on the verge of crying, even when his family died. It also parallels how Altair lost his first love Anha (or whatever her name is) and how Desmond maybe loses Lucy.

bsmith239
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Sparty2020:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsmith239:

Because only when the baby is born does Ezio's story end. I kinda liked the Cristina dying section. The look on poor Ezio's face was the first time I saw him on the verge of crying, even when his family died. It also parallels how Altair lost his first love Anha (or whatever her name is) and how Desmond maybe loses Lucy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be nice if they didn't kill off all the females. I hate it when writers are so weak at romance that the only thing they can go for is the "oops, she is dead" shocker.

I am looking at you Supernatural.

Slaterxx
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by bsmith239:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparty2020:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsmith239:

Because only when the baby is born does Ezio's story end. I kinda liked the Cristina dying section. The look on poor Ezio's face was the first time I saw him on the verge of crying, even when his family died. It also parallels how Altair lost his first love Anha (or whatever her name is) and how Desmond maybe loses Lucy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be nice if they didn't kill off all the females. I hate it when writers are so weak at romance that the only thing they can go for is the "oops, she is dead" shocker.

I am looking at you Supernatural. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>lETS not say she dead yet no body really know wtf happened in that scene and even if it did happen dosent mean shes dead

SWJS
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
What I hated:
YES. Absolutely agreed. I wanted to have fast poison for the Tank mission, like the walkthrough, but I've beaten the game and have been raiding treasure chests like Lara Croft and I STILL haven't got what I need for it. It's the most annoying thing ever, and it brings fetch quests to AC. I want to buy things from merchants, not have them deny me something until I do their bloody grocery shopping.
lETS not say she dead yet no body really know wtf happened in that scene and even if it did happen dosent mean shes dead I doubt Lucy IS dead. If you look closely, she gets stabbed very low in the abdomen. Not necessarily a kill strike. At worst she would bleed to death, and the people who find Desmond could probably patch her up before she loses too much blood.