PDA

View Full Version : People n servers taking a wait and see?

willyvic
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Been here since the inception of the game.

I think that the majority of us will concede that:

This series has established itself as the primary model of flight sim games.
The developer has stood tall and delivered.
We have reaped the benefits of his dedication over and over.

In the past EVERY new game/addon/patch/tweak/fix has been met with some trepidation but they were ALL scooped up by the majority. Most servers had the newest running as soon as possible. Most users had the newest as soon as the servers were up and running.

With this release I spy a more of a wait and see attitude. Heated discussions abound on these boards and others. Virtual squadrons are debating the merits of conversion. Many users (as witnessed by this forum) are reluctant to deal with the irritation of trying to install.

We have had issues in the past and have ALWAYS overcome them. What makes this addon so special? Are we (collectively) getting a little tired of the hoops? Have we been frustrated so many times that it is finally taking its toll? Or are we just fed up with the consistent display of a lack of caring on the part of the distributer?

So, installation method aside, what is it on this go around?

WV.

slipBall
05-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm just looking for hassel free, that's why I will wait a bit

danjama
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
ill get it as soon as im back online, but only if my regular friends have it too

willyvic
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Aside from the obvious, what would keep your friends from getting it? Disinterest in the contents? Being miffed at the distributer? What?

WV.

Fork-N-spoon
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually I wouldn't say, "this game has established itself as the primary model of flight sim games."

I believe that Aces High has a much larger following than this game does. Just a thought that is.

I would further guess that the M$ flight simulators have a following many times larger than both this game and Aces High combined.

willyvic
05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Fork-N-spoon:
Actually I wouldn't say, "this game has established itself as the primary model of flight sim games."

I believe that Aces High has a much larger following than this game does. Just a thought that is.

I would further guess that the M$ flight simulators have a following many times larger than both this game and Aces High combined.

While I will grant you the benefit of the doubt, I wasn't speaking towards "following". I was speaking of quality. And of course this is only my personal opinion.

WV.

danjama
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by willyvic:
Aside from the obvious, what would keep your friends from getting it? Disinterest in the contents? Being miffed at the distributer? What?

WV.

Well what is th obvious that you mention?

bhunter2112
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I too have been her since day one. I am currently running 4.04M. I got the DVD recently from gogamer.
I am not sure who is controlling this game and making marketing decisions but it would be nice if they could get it together. They made the DVD complete and that was great. The next logical step would have been a "russian addon" DVD with all three included. This download rubbish is going to be a nightmare for this game.
So for me I will wait and see what happens. I want the add ons on a DVD and will order today if that happens. If not I will wait for BOB.
I do not fly online so that is not an issue.

carguy_
05-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I certainly hope ppl will keep their addon offline until the tri-addon pack comes out,to keep online gaming unified.

Time to cut down on the herding instinct. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

willyvic
05-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyvic:

WV.

Well what is th obvious that you mention? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry DJ. The obvious I was thinking of was the install wrapper.

WV.

danjama
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Or lack of one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well lets see, there are various reasons why many of my friends wouldnt theoretically buy and install PE2.

First of all, as you touched on it, there is no disc version. This may seem silly as you can easily copy to disc, but then you still have to go through the hassle of downloadin it an purchasin over the internet, with possible issues with codes and protection systems.

Another reason would be that their fave servers or friends who run coops and dogfights have not installed it. (You can picture this as a chain reaction system, one person doesnt buy it caus of so and so and then the pattern continues).

Another reason would be that they do not see it as worth it, posibly because of the lack of interest in the included items. The interest rating would have been immeasurably increased if 1C had included the Tempest and Mossie with this PE2 package, as they have many more fans.

I could think of more but i cant be bothered right now.

Tator_Totts
05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Or if you save the best addon for last. Then you will have to buy them all.

willyvic
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by danjama:

Well lets see,...

Rodger that. So it would be fair to say that the majority of other users would have to upgrade first before some would take the plunge?

It does seem, in you and your friends cases, that "wait and see" is what your opting for. Fair enough. Thanks for responding.

WV.

danjama
05-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by willyvic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

Well lets see,...

Rodger that. So it would be fair to say that the majority of other users would have to upgrade first before some would take the plunge?

It does seem, in you and your friends cases, that "wait and see" is what your opting for. Fair enough. Thanks for responding.

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to be honest i was only arguing for the sake of it (if it can be called an argument). Of course most(all even) servers will upgrade to 4.05 even if its eventual, therefore most of the online community and my friends will be forced to upgrade too.

Myself, the only reason i havnt bought PE2 is caus im not flying online at the moment anyway, in fact, im not flyin (period). As soon as im back online ill buy PE2, it looks like a nice bird!

Oh wait i just realised i described your wait and see policy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Edbert
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I've been paying to play AH since it left beta, was flying when it was free. Last month (tour) there was in excess of 5,000 folks who played. Are there any stats for how many sortied on HL during April?

Frankly though, I enjoy both games greatly and try not to compare the two. Other than the genre of a WWII air-combat sim they really do not compete on much. IL2 cannot support 750 players in the same room simultaneously. And even with the revamped artwork AH can't compete in the eye-candy department.

But to the subject of the thread...I am going to hold off on the recent upgrade, even though I did not wait on any of the others. My copy of the complete edition DVD just arrived three days ago, which is the 5th time I've bought a box with IL2 media in it. The ability to fly a twin engined plane is simply not that tempting to me. When I can no longer find a 4.04m arena I guess I'll capitulate.