PDA

View Full Version : TrackIr 5

smink1701
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Juat got it a few weeks ago and coming from a long term holdout, I have learned it's the only way to fly. It's like using a joystick after years of playing the game using your keypad.

Just thought I would pass this on to anyone who's still on the fence. Also, TrackIr's tech help has been very good.

na85
05-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Still no linux drivers though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

WTE_Galway
05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by smink1701:
Juat got it a few weeks ago and coming from a long term holdout, I have learned it's the only way to fly. It's like using a joystick after years of playing the game using your keypad.

Just thought I would pass this on to anyone who's still on the fence. Also, TrackIr's tech help has been very good.

For me .. no TrackIr - no fly.

I am still using a 3PRO so will be interested in seeing what the 5 is like.

By the way be prepared for a whole bunch of posts from people saying "Don't buy it stick a ping pong ball on your nose build a homemade device from Delorien parts and an old solar panel and download this free package" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sillius_Sodus
05-14-2010, 12:37 AM
And don't forget to get the tin foil on your head just right or else the government will be able to scan your brain with cosmic rays fired from black helicopters... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jabout
05-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Don't forget to take it off your head, if you're playing and someone rings the front door bell.

ibeagle
05-14-2010, 03:19 AM
I upgraded from a Tir4 to a Tir5 yesterday, first impressions... very quick response with great smoothness compared to the tir4. The fov is much wider. I have a 28" monitor and the 4 had to be positioned exactly in the right spot or it would lose track. The 4 was not tracking z axis consistently, the 5 seems to to this well. On the other hand, the 5 seems to be more sensitive to reflected sunlight, I really dislike having to draw the all the curtains in the middle of a nice day, it makes me feel a little weird.

A great improvement over the 4 and well worth the upgrade in my opinion. I've had Tir3,4 and 5. The 5 is the first that really does what it was supposed to.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ibeagle:
I upgraded from a Tir4 to a Tir5 yesterday, first impressions... very quick response with great smoothness compared to the tir4. The fov is much wider. I have a 28" monitor and the 4 had to be positioned exactly in the right spot or it would lose track. The 4 was not tracking z axis consistently, the 5 seems to to this well. On the other hand, the 5 seems to be more sensitive to reflected sunlight, I really dislike having to draw the all the curtains in the middle of a nice day, it makes me feel a little weird.

A great improvement over the 4 and well worth the upgrade in my opinion. I've had Tir3,4 and 5. The 5 is the first that really does what it was supposed to.

Oh, this is good to hear, I think this is the first user review I've read from someone who upgraded from the 4. Good to know the difference is a noticeable improvement. I don't have the money to upgrade, but if my 4 ever dies...

M2morris
05-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Jabout:
Don't forget to take it off your head, if you're playing and someone rings the front door bell.
Oh yeah, and you will laugh when you watch a track and see when you were trying to kill that stupid fly that was buzzing around your head.

p-11.cAce
05-14-2010, 07:46 PM
The biggest change from 4 to 5 that I noticed is the greatly improved light filtering. My rig is in a room with multiple windows and TiR4 would often get blinded. No issues with 5 except for a short time in late afternoon when I get direct sunlight in the room.