PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about strike effects

Metamagician
02-27-2011, 04:56 AM
I was mildly worried about this before but I attributed it to lack of information and the fact that the game is still in development but after seeing this video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYL0IZaKOrc

...it seems this is the "direction" they are going with.

So every strike of every kind of unit to every other kind of unit will have the same yellow abstract symbolic visual effect which will not relate in any way the features of units, the weapons they use or the disparity in strengths between units?

Seriously?!

Metamagician
02-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Also I'm pretty sure the sound is always the same too and when magic attack was used there was no visual effect at all on the target, you gotta be kidding me!

wodahsa
02-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Yes, I would have to agree on that. It looks pretty bad. I just hope it is just temporary replacement of attack animation - they probably haven't finished all animations for all units yet.
If that's not the case I just hope that you can switch this effect off in options - I prefer no animation at all than this yellow thingyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But anyway it's just a small detail; I love everything about the game so far.

Metamagician
02-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Hm, actually I'm pretty sure this is a big chunk of a visual detail in any game, and especially in this kind of game, it definitely can't be dismissed or ignored as "minor detail".

It just freaks me out that this would be the actual art style for combat!

They don't have to have special strike visuals for every single unit(although that would certainly enrich the game) but classes of visual strike effects based on classes of units and types of weapons is a bare minimum!

Infiltrator-SF
02-27-2011, 06:21 AM
I'd just remove the fireworks on the defender, from every attack.

GamerGeek87
02-27-2011, 01:34 PM
It does seem like a lot of attacks trigger this yellow effect but not all as you can see from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_UhnIfpAQ&feature=player_embedded). I cant say it really bothers me much, and might still be a placeholder like the woman in the video says. It would be nicer if each unit had an effect which corresponds to their type of attack ofcource.

Metamagician
02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Does that community developer ever post on this official forum?

murdoch2011
03-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Metamagician:
I was mildly worried about this before but I attributed it to lack of information and the fact that the game is still in development but after seeing this video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYL0IZaKOrc

...it seems this is the "direction" they are going with.

So every strike of every kind of unit to every other kind of unit will have the same yellow abstract symbolic visual effect which will not relate in any way the features of units, the weapons they use or the disparity in strengths between units?

Seriously?!

I only signed up on this forum to agree with you FULL HEARTEDLY on this one. Not just the yellow hit effect, also the artistic style on many of the characters are way to similar to warcraft. If I could decide, the style should be more realistic and not so overdone. That said, I didn't care for H5 battle graphics either. Is it impossible to make 3D characters without the wow-feel?

Metamagician
03-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Disciples 3: Renaissance did a pretty god job with art style, animations and actual scale of units as well as the effects.

In some ways even better than King's Bounty: The Legend/Armored Princess.

I would really like to see an official response to this topic, is anyone aware of this ever happening in other topics?

Most developers respond pretty regularly on their own official forums.

wdcryer
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
The yellow effect may mean they are dealing "Light" damage. I saw a video where an inferno creature attacked and fire appeared. Perhaps these effects are to show the type of magical damage associated with the attack.

edit: actually, it looks like Necro and Inferno creatures also create that yellow effect. Damn, it would have been cooler my way.

andthenitends
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Heroes 5 had a strike effect, it was basically a little explosion. Would you prefer that?

If nothing else, I'm sure the strike effect can just be modded out. Units still react to the hit.

Metamagician
03-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by andthenitends:
Heroes 5 had a strike effect, it was basically a little explosion. Would you prefer that?

They don't have to have special strike visuals for every single unit(although that would certainly enrich the game) but classes of visual strike effects based on classes of units and types of weapons is a bare minimum!

znork
03-06-2011, 03:09 AM
In all this movies attack speed is set to slow. How many of you are playing with slow attack speed?

mcgslo
03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
-Battle Game speed = MAX, special animation OFF (i.e. "critical hit")
-Advanture map game speed = MAX

Metamagician
03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by znork:
In all this movies attack speed is set to slow. How many of you are playing with slow attack speed?

I actually despise people who functionally turn off the animations, I just can't understand that kind of primitive mentality.

Watching animations in normal speed is a huge part of the gameplay experience.

Go play fu*cking tetris or chess on your cellphone then.

mcgslo
03-11-2011, 05:13 AM

I actually despise people who functionally turn off the animations, I just can't understand that kind of primitive mentality.

Watching animations in normal speed is a huge part of the gameplay experience.

Go play fu*cking tetris or chess on your cellphone then.

Now you are becoming annoying. Think out of your BOX and donít insult other formers. Normal speed is ok for first few times or single player ... but all games later especially in hotseat and MP should be turned off or the game will take forever. Fights already take a long time and if you add special animations it just take even longer... and looks like cartoon/move/console like thing.

In hotseat/MP we always turn OFF special animations and move speed slider to highest possible.

Elementalist.
03-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Some do, I cannot understand why. Fast is good but make it too fast and it becomes silly, game loses so much from its natural feel if you ask me. As for the special animations it's not like the unit won't take the same time to perform it whether you see it up close or not.

Yes I've played multiplayer, quite a bit.

Btw you guys actually notice the yellow effects? The H5 ones were pretty much invisible to my eye after a while. I played too much perhaps? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NachoAdept
03-12-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm ok with them. I wonder if the amount if yellow had to do with the fact Haven was involved. I didn't notice much yellow in the necro/demon battle near the end.

I will say that some of th strike effects give me the idea that a protective shield was in place the way they were set up.

shop275B94B0E
03-13-2011, 05:45 PM
i signed up just to comment lol i honestly dont see the problem with the effect. But there will always be the people that love to complain about every little detail. Footmans belt is too big, the trees dont flutter in the wind. the Snow is too white. Go play some mortal combat or god of war if u want to see special effects for every individual hit. im more worried about the actual strategy / balance, game flow, ai, and speed of the turns.

dchalfont
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I have no problem with the effects either. THey aren't overdone, it's not like there is an explosion at the point of impact, it's a couple of swirling lines to indicate a slash etc.

Besides; didn't the devs already confirm in a Q&A somewhere ( maybe on facebook? ) that there would be 'classes' of strike effects for types of units. Eg...a unit which quite abviously attacks with a sharp weapon or claws will have the slash effect, and units that strike with blunt objects get a different effect etc.

It's not like it happens on every hit.

I think if developers listened to the fans we would have the dumbest frankenstein of a game imaginable.

The faction changes were done without consulting the community and as a result we have factions which for the first time have a cohesive theme running throughout the unit design of each unit and how they tie into the faction lore.

We have the Fate Spinner, Lamasu, Sanctuary and a lot of other much needed gameplay changes that I had never heard requested in the community ( town conversion is awesome ).

WaterPoloLaw
03-13-2011, 11:00 PM
The faction changes were done without consulting the community and as a result we have factions which for the first time have a cohesive theme running throughout the unit design of each unit and how they tie into the faction lore.

We have the Fate Spinner, Lamasu, Sanctuary and a lot of other much needed gameplay changes that I had never heard requested in the community ( town conversion is awesome ).

There can be no doubt that the factions thus far are the best we have yet seen in any Heroes installment. The only units I have felt the loss whatsoever was the orc Pokai (which I thought had an interesting fit with lore). I could also criticize that there seems to be too many female ranged and caster/support units.

I agree that it was a risk to exclude dungeon, sylvan and academy and instead opt for the Sanctuary. Nonetheless, it was the right thing to do and will make a better game in my opinion.

Not to downplay the importance of community feedback and I know I am in the minority when I say this, but I hope they go even further wih the faction and gameplay changes with regards to expansions.

Everyone says that we will certainly see 2 factions per expansion and that they will consist of those factions from prior Heroes installments. Personally I hope this in NOT the case. I really hope the developers take a hard look at each of the factions and cut and edit those units (or those entire factions) which don't make clear and complete sense and which just do not fit into the lore or overall feel of the game. I would almost go so far as to say that I would rather see a new faction (or factions) for the expansions.

The academy was certainly one, in my opinion, whose units just did not make a ton of sense (genies with lion-headed death spirits with golems, and gargoyles and gremlins and...Titans). The sylvan also didn't make a ton of sense to me, but at least they all attempted to revolve around a nature and wood theme (except for the dragons which I just feel was fairly unoriginal). Nonetheless I think there would be a lot of creative work that would need to be done for both Sylvan and Dungeon and, if they return, the dwarves.

dchalfont
03-14-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm a guy and I like the fact that there are more female units, the fact is that there are just as many dangerous female creatures in the natural world so why then shouldn't there be in the supernatural world of HOMM.

To me it seems that for units to be male they always tend to take on a bulky or very narrow role, with female units we do get well balanced and believable support roles as well as direct roles in the faction lineups.

I don't care what anyone says, the angels/seraphs SHOULD be female.

I think that the fate weaver is too.

It's not like there are more female units than male, there is just more of a balance. I think it allows for better diversity as well as making the game more believable.

Having entire factions of just male units was lame and one token female unit is not enough so I think they all need at least 3 per faction.

Which seems to be about what the norm is in this game.

3 female to 4 male. I wouldn't care if there was 4 female I just don't think it's any cause for concern.

Lamasu's look amazing. Much better than the manticores of old.

Metamagician
03-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by dchalfont:
I'm a guy and I like the fact that there are more female units

I'm a guy and I hate the fact that there are more female units, so there's that...

dchalfont
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dchalfont:
I'm a guy and I like the fact that there are more female units

I'm a guy and I hate the fact that there are more female units, so there's that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That speaks volumes about how comfortable you are with your gender and or sexuality. Do you get uncomfortable when there are more women in a room than men? do you feel threatened?, however can yu live the way you do!

oh no, there are women everywhere!!!!111

Yeah so there's that.

Nxss
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
The male/female hero thing never really has been an issue for me. I always pick the hero that serves my purposes at that time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Metamagician
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I can recall a lot of games in which forced female characters utterly ruined the game:

-Sheva in Resident Evil 5, she destroyed the anxiety of lone playing a survival game, her stupid head constantly got in the way and the constant irritating shuffle of her feet.

-KB: Armored Princess, sorry but I'm not a transexual, I don't want my avatar to be a half naked woman.

-Sorceress in Diablo 2, same thing is above, no male wizard option

-Torchlight, again, no hunter male option

So, with so many games ruined or features ruined I have become to really detest any female characters and units in games.

They always seem to bring down the overall quality, not to mention the simple fact that over 90% of all gamers are male, and not many of them are transsexuals.

It is just simply misguided pandering.

Nxss
03-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I can recall a lot of games in which forced female characters utterly ruined the game:

-Sheva in Resident Evil 5, she destroyed the anxiety of lone playing a survival game, her stupid head constantly got in the way and the constant irritating shuffle of her feet.

-KB: Armored Princess, sorry but I'm not a transexual, I don't want my avatar to be a half naked woman.

-Sorceress in Diablo 2, same thing is above, no male wizard option

-Torchlight, again, no hunter male option

So, with so many games ruined or features ruined I have become to really detest any female characters and units in games.

They always seem to bring down the overall quality, not to mention the simple fact that over 90% of all gamers are male, and not many of them are transsexuals.

It is just simply misguided pandering.

So you're telling me that games are ruined because there is no male option for certain a certain class?? Are you *&^%$# two years old???
Who gives a sh** what gender they are? You obviously have some mommy issues or something as the gender of your character should not matter in the least! I mean seriously, even if there was a male hunter in Torchlight, would it make any difference in the game play? The answer is no!

If it is this big of a problem for you, I am guessing you never played Tomb Raider, Metroid or a ton of other games that the character you play is female? Sheesh. Lay off the drugs, play a game, and be quiet! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kartabon
03-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Ok, things are getting hot here. Calm down guys, and please, stay on topic, female/male characters are not the main topic in this thread. If you want to discuss about that, create a diferent thread and discuss it politely. I won't tolerate any insult or any kind of rude words.

Calm down! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WaterPoloLaw
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Um...clearly there was a misinterpretation of my post? I was not critisizing that there are a lot of female units in the game. I actually like the 2-3 female units on average ratio and agree that there should be some gender diversification.

I was simply critizing that most of the "core" support units seem to all be female -- i.e., sister, succubus, ghost, coral maiden. The only exception is stronhold which opts for a core "flyer" unit -- another female, the harpy. I just thought, I don't know, maybe not all core support units need to be female? Not that it really matters.

In short, I was not saying I do not like the wide variety of female units in the game, only that pretty much all of the "core" support units (or what appear to be the core support units) are all female, which isn't a big deal but still seems a titch odd.

Nxss
03-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I apologize for the rant and going off topic. I will try not to do it much more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Metamagician
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Nxss:
So you're telling me that games are ruined because there is no male option for certain a certain class??

Wow, how can one miss the point of RPG games or games with RPG aspects so thoroughly...

Nxss
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Start a new topic so I can yell at you without interrupting this thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kartabon
03-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Ok one more word about female or male characters and I will close the thread guys. Open a new one if you want to talk about that. Next advice won't be this light...

Metamagician
04-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Any news on this issue?

Asterisk
04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Kartabon:
Ok one more word about female or male characters and I will close the thread guys. Open a new one if you want to talk about that. Next advice won't be this light...

Two threads on that issue were closed already. :P

GamerGeek87
04-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Asterisk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kartabon:

Two threads on that issue were closed already. :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they got way out of control, and consisted most of insults and name calling. Not because of the topic.

Shawn85
04-27-2011, 11:36 AM
the haven praetorian baton swing and overhand thrust is ******ed, for the love of god change it! youve made 35% of the military force in ashan wear make up, dont make the rest power ranger rejects!