PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually enjoy night missions?

boxduty
04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I've got to confess I just don't like them. (Although searchlights are cool!)
If it wasn't for the nav lights I couldn't cope anyway.!

I don't mind dusk missions though......

stathem
04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes.

boxduty
04-06-2006, 04:47 PM
My hat is off to you sir!
I guess I'm missing out in this area. One day I might get into it perhaps. But what do you enjoy about it?

Megile_
04-06-2006, 04:53 PM
the christmas tree lights on the AI are a turn off

TX-Zen
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I flew a few full switch night missions a while ago on the BM357 squad server.

Antons vs Mustangs in the dark at low level over a city...talk about INTENSE. Believe it or not if you have a solid objective, both teams have a reason to meet and combat can take place at night.

In that mission I was trying my hand at night time jabo runs in an A5 and got bounced by one or maybe two mid war mustangs...the dogfight that ensued was one of the best that I've ever had in this sim.

What ever happened to BM357 anyway?

stathem
04-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, I'm fascinated by night ops, so even the poor fidelity in-game is better than nowt.

Can_Goose
04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
I havn't tried one myself, but I am just getting in to level bombing, after 3 years I finally figured out what a level stabilizer does.
But a formation level bombing mission at night would probably be interesting.

boxduty
04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Night bombing missions I can understand better.
(stonk the searchlights etc) That's ok.

I just can't see (ha) the night fighter side of things...

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 05:19 PM
i havent been online for a while

but there was a particularly perverse server a while back that was set to thunderstorms at night and was mainly over water

that one was interesting

3.JG51_BigBear
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I've had fun with them in a situation where I'm either bombing or intercepting a bomber with a stable fighter like a Me110. Fighter on fighter combat at night is a mess and super frustrating.

Bo_Nidle
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Night carrier landings in stormy weather!!!! How in Gods name did they ever do it for real?!!!! Add battle damage and its an absolute nightmare!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I think if it was real I would have just curled up in a ball on my seat in the cockpit, crying and sucking my thumb, thinking of a "happy place"! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Viper2005_
04-06-2006, 06:33 PM
The harder the better IMO since I can't die in IL2.

mortoma
04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
Night carrier landings in stormy weather!!!! How in Gods name did they ever do it for real?!!!! They didn't do it for real. They would not have flight ops from a carrier in stormy seas in real life. Now if a storm blew up while a squadron was out and away, I guess they'd have to try and land on the pitching deck somehow.

Skarphol
04-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm currently working on a nightbombermission for our squadron, JG301. But somehow, my progress is a little slow, mainly because of several reasons:
- in order to make the navigation managabel I've set the weather to 'good' but then it is quite bright, even in the middle of the night.
- the issue with AI pilots and navligts
- the fact that AI pilots see as good at night as they do by day
- the fact that most JG301 pilots really want to shoot someone down, not cluster together in a tight formation and trust their AI onboard gunners

So, I'm really not sure of I enjoy night missions..

Skarphol

Diablo310th
04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
I love taking my A-20 in my 418th NF squad skins on night missions vs. Bettys.

WOLFMondo
04-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Missions at night, dawn or dusk, with a little bad weather are good fun.

Feathered_IV
04-07-2006, 07:00 AM
I like 'em too. I just wish that we could disable AI nav lights *sigh*

shotdownski
04-07-2006, 07:42 AM
I've been working on a Mossie intruder campaign and find night ops to be a fun change of pace. Mostly because of the navigational challenges. As mentioned, the AI nav lights are a major flaw, but during intruder ops you fly alone until you get to the target airfield where you do expect to find enemy planes with nav lights on. The night sky is also pretty bright in general. I use "Poor" or "Blind" weather to darken it somewhat.

As for the AI's superb night vision, I somewhat compensate by setting them all to "Rookie". I've also found that AI nightfighters (Bf-110Gs) will douse their lights when closing for an attack. In game I've been completly surprised several times, which from what I've read was a real fear of the intruder crews.

Grue_
04-07-2006, 07:50 AM
They didn't do it for real. They would not have flight ops from a carrier in stormy seas in real life. Now if a storm blew up while a squadron was out and away, I guess they'd have to try and land on the pitching deck somehow.

I just read Pursuit - The sinking of the Bismarck by Ludovik Kennedy and the Swordfish took off from the Ark Royal with a deck pitching 50ft and landed in the near dark. A couple of write offs but they all managed to land.

Divine-Wind
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
I like 'em too. I just wish that we could disable AI nav lights *sigh*
Yeah, if it wasn't for that, night missions would be a lot more immersive. As it is though, it's still a heck of a lot of fun, although you don't go on them alot during campaigns.

kameron1974
04-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
Night carrier landings in stormy weather!!!! How in Gods name did they ever do it for real?!!!! Add battle damage and its an absolute nightmare!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I think if it was real I would have just curled up in a ball on my seat in the cockpit, crying and sucking my thumb, thinking of a "happy place"! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

I'd go for a swim and tell the ship to send out a dingy.