PDA

View Full Version : No icons - no hud messages - no nothing

stevo33
02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Well full real is where it's at, I want to play this way because It gives me a very vague idea of what it might have really been like to be in an air war. But, to be honest I can't find the enemy half the time. I don't know where my power is at, or my prop pitch, because I can't read the gauge or my radiator because I can't find any radiator lever or gauge - I'm in a 109 emil - I just guess where things are from the lever position on my throttle quad...

I go chasing after one of my own aircraft thinking they are enemy until I get close enough to realize that they are not.

No map icons, no mini bar, no nothing. Was it this way in real life? would a BF-109 pilot go wizzing off after another 109 pilot until he could see who it was. I mean of course eyes have a far greater resolution than my monitor, even tho I am in 1920x1200.

Most of the time I don't get a kill, because as soon as they go below the sky line - with no icons - I often lose sight of them. But I just can't bring myself to make it more arcade like.

Practice? It has been a while, I had a long brake.

Crash_Moses
02-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Yes, practice.

And yes, friendly aircraft were fired upon by their own due to mis-identification. To a lesser degree than in this sim for sure. Unfortunately that's one of the limitations of our current computers system. Monitor resolution is nowhere near eye resolution.

Learn the cockpit and it's instruments. I have no trouble flying my trusty SBD by instruments. Check out Bearcat's Nugget's guide. It's a sticky in the General Discussion forum.

I also use a compass rose to plot my waypoints before a mission so I know my heading on each leg. More immersive that way. Yoller and I'll post it for you.

Good luck and welcome back from your break! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!

julian265
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I prefer the use of some of the 'arcade' features to better simulate reality.

Monitor differences lead to differences in the ease of dot visibility and identification. My LCD monitor, despite claiming a 5 ms refresh time, blurs moving objects and/or the ground if my perspective is moving quickly. Even within a few hundred meters, identifying aircraft is hit and miss, and I've been interested in second war aircraft for quite some time so this should not be an issue. Hence, I prefer an aircraft ID tag when it's within 500 m.

Secondly - what real pilot would hold his head in the center of his cockpit??? A MAJOR flaw of the realism of IL2 is the inability to look around armor plating. This gives an unrealistic advantage to some aircraft, which have slightly better head-centered rear vis than the tempest, for example, or the forward view from the 190. Cockpit bars account for roughly half the times that I lose sight of my enemy, also due to the inability to freely change perspective. To 'address' this problem, I'd prefer the option to enable external views of the player's aircraft only, but it looks like the options are none or full external views.

The above also causes issues with viewing gauges. Many directional instruments are covered by the stick etc, or reading them is difficult with some graphics setups. For this reason, the speed bar is a good and fair thing. It also simulates the pilot's ability to glance quickly at the gauges, which takes longer with either mouse or a head tracker. It would be better if damaged instruments stopped the relevant data appearing in the speed bar, however.

In short, I don't believe that full switch settings best simulate reality, but they do require the most attention.

stevo33
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Well you do have a point and it's something I have also spent time thinking about. There are disadvantages in the game as you describe, and disadvantages inherent in the technology. So some of the arcade like features can balance that out. I can't argue with you on that. Perhaps Bob will address some of these limitations.

buzzsaw1939
02-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Stevo... If it helps, this old time pilot, has the same problems, it's the reality of a sim, you might want to do what I did, try useing the speed bar for a while, check it against your gages till you get down, use all the options that are available in game, once you get comfortable, turn them off one by one, you might want to look into a track IR, for me it was a major leap into realism.

Like Crash says, learn the cockpit and instuments, remember, real pilots don't just jump in the plane and fly, there was lots of practice, and study involved.

I still chase my own guys, but I just shootum anyway! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif well it's good practice...aint it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Crash_Moses
02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Good advice from both Buzzsaw and Julian. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Flying full switch on-line is fun for me because I know everyone else has the same handicap (plus it's very challenging).

Off-line it can be an excercise in frustration. Nothing wrong with using the speed-bar or icons, especially if it enhances your enjoyment of the game. And external views can lead to some pretty cool screenshots.