PDA

View Full Version : patrol 11

HETZER1944
02-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm on the homeward bound leg of what has been a relatively frustrating patrol. After getting off to a great start by sinking a Flower with my first use of a homing torpedo and taking down three merchants with three torpedoes I found one of those c2's that refuse to die. I spent half my load pounding that thing below the waves. My first question regards the remaining homing torpedo on board. Can I use this on a merchant if I set for impact and get a good angle? I know the manual states it homes on targets doing over 12 knots. I'd hate to pass up a t3 if I stumbled across it.

My other concern is the weather. I can safely say that 90% of my time at sea has been at 15mps wind speed. I've used my deck gun on three targets in 11 patrols averaging four weeks per patrol. I expect the North Atlantic to be a witch but this just seems wrong. I've seen other people post to the same experience. Has anyone discovered something causing this anomaly?

Thanks for all the great reading. I've been enjoying the patrol reports and the political and philosophical discussion. I was a political science major and philosophy minor so I may have to join in some day. I'll warn you now my professors said I was somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

HETZER1944
02-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm on the homeward bound leg of what has been a relatively frustrating patrol. After getting off to a great start by sinking a Flower with my first use of a homing torpedo and taking down three merchants with three torpedoes I found one of those c2's that refuse to die. I spent half my load pounding that thing below the waves. My first question regards the remaining homing torpedo on board. Can I use this on a merchant if I set for impact and get a good angle? I know the manual states it homes on targets doing over 12 knots. I'd hate to pass up a t3 if I stumbled across it.

My other concern is the weather. I can safely say that 90% of my time at sea has been at 15mps wind speed. I've used my deck gun on three targets in 11 patrols averaging four weeks per patrol. I expect the North Atlantic to be a witch but this just seems wrong. I've seen other people post to the same experience. Has anyone discovered something causing this anomaly?

Thanks for all the great reading. I've been enjoying the patrol reports and the political and philosophical discussion. I was a political science major and philosophy minor so I may have to join in some day. I'll warn you now my professors said I was somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

Foehammer-1
02-12-2006, 08:24 AM
About weather.. in my last career it was storming pretty much all the time. In my current one, it is now the end of 1941 and i've only seen about 10 storms, the rest of the time the sea is like glass. So i guess it's just luck. About homing torpedo, I say use it as a regular one, meaning aim carefully. Otherwise it will miss that merchant if you fire it off blindly. Enjoy