PDA

View Full Version : Can Saitek Rudder Pedals be used for Racing?

jarabell
06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Are shopping for rudder pedals for my son. Primarily for flight simulation but he does also play car racing games & wondered in the saitek pedals could be used for both? Noticed that the CH Rudder Pedals say they are for both?

Stiletto-
06-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Hello. I have owned a multitude of racing wheels and pedals over the years.. I cut my teeth with the original CH Pedals which worked nice... They have a switch on the bottom that switches from single axis to dual axis, so you go from having the rudder axis, to a seperate axis for gas, and seperate axis for braking. I don't know if the Saitk pedals have dual axis support, if you can't find out I wouldn't buy them.

Sure, you can put gas to + Axis and braking to - Axis on the same axis, but you wont be able to gas and brake at the same time which will make you useless to be quick in any modern racing sim. I currently use a Logitech G25 (yes it is very pricey but so great) It alows single axis mode with the gas and brake, so I can use it as rudder pedals and then I use the clutch pedal as a wheel brake.

Bottom line, is if you don't know if it is switchable to dual axis, its not worth buying for use in racing sims. Does he use a wheel for racing sims? Most wheels come with pedals, and these could be easily used in IL2, as long as they are switchable to single axis... I think almost all are, I know Microsoft and Logitech wheels you can switch them in the control panel, so it might not be a bad investment to find a 20 or 30 dollar non-ff such as the Logitech Wingman where you can use the rudder pedals in IL-2, and use the pedals and the wheel itself for the racing application. Not a great wheel, but the pedals will work fine for both, I would think. Sorry if this is confusing.

WhtBoy
06-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes, the Saitek pedals can be used as independent gas/brake pedals. In addition to fore/aft movement for the rudder axis each pedal can be pushed just like a gas/brake pedal. For aircraft these would be wheel brakes but for cars they can be used for gas/brake.

--Outlaw.

jarabell
06-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks mate! We will get some for our son's birthday. He wants to use them with Pacific Fighters but to be able to be able use them with his car racing games would be a bonus!