PDA

View Full Version : I just found the neatest thing in Il2

Choctaw111
09-21-2007, 09:41 PM
I always like finding new things in Il2 which is why this kind of surprised me. I was messing around with the MC.205 Serie III which I do not climb into that much (but the pit is done beautifully!). For whatever reason I hit the button I have mapped to the Tinted Reticle Dimmer (if you do not have it mapped already it is most of the way down the "Controls" list in the "Misc" section. What happened next is not at all what I was expecting. Instead of a tinted reticle popping up like they do in all the other aircraft, something else happened and I thought to myself, "How neat is that?!". The same thing also happens on the MC.205 Serie I. It switches the reticle type from the "standard" one to a different type of reticle that looks wicked cool. I still think it's pretty neat...I imagine that this is historically accurate. I never knew that before. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

FlatSpinMan
09-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I discovered just last week that ricochets off armour are visibly modelled. I was attacking a Sturmovik in my 190 when I noticed not just the usual flashes off armour but actual trails rebounding off the plane. At least I THINK it's supposed to be a ricochet. Here's a pic. What do you think?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/FlatSpinMan/ricohets.jpg

Freelancer-1
09-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Could be ricochets, but I always thought it was my bullets lighting off the rockets.

Watch the track from the Sturmoviks perspective and you'll know for sure.

Flying_Mex
09-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I always thought it was ricochets...however it is a bit sad that the only aircraft that I have seen it do is when I shoot the sturmovik. Whenever I shoot another plane...bomber or fighter...it does not have the same effect for some reason..shame because I kind of like the effect.

major_setback
09-22-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Flying_Mex:
I always thought it was ricochets...however it is a bit sad that the only aircraft that I have seen it do is when I shoot the sturmovik. Whenever I shoot another plane...bomber or fighter...it does not have the same effect for some reason..shame because I kind of like the effect.
Ditto. Ricochets, and only on that one plane (I believe).

timholt
09-22-2007, 03:43 AM
It's because the IL2 cockpit was like an armored bathtub, hence the ricochets rather than penetration.
It's been there for some time now. I think it crept in in one of the very early patches or it may have been there from day one.

general_kalle
09-22-2007, 04:06 AM
ya i found out about the italien gunsight some time ago aswell.
neat,

FPSOLKOR
09-22-2007, 04:26 AM
ricochetts are available on all planes, but from different places and usualyy from 7,62 bullets. others just go through.

SUPERAEREO
09-22-2007, 04:40 AM
I think ricochets were there since the original IL2 Sturmovik.

The one modelled on the Macchi C.205 when you press Ctrl+D is the dimly-lit night reticle and it is historically accurate AFAIK.

S!

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
Could be ricochets, but I always thought it was my bullets lighting off the rockets.

Watch the track from the Sturmoviks perspective and you'll know for sure.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What rockets?

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I found that gunsight trick a few months back and was just as pleasantly surprised. I actually prefer the second one to the original. And I think the Macchi pits are among the best we have.

S!

HotelBushranger
09-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I remember one of the first nights I got the Machhi patch, I was dominating an arcade server with the 205, it was great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif One of my fave in game planes.

DKoor
09-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by major_setback:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flying_Mex:
Ditto. Ricochets, and only on that one plane (I believe). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes that's true +1

Just when you shoot enemy pit sometimes there are flashes, small comic like yellowish bangs on pit.

Blood_Splat
09-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I thought it was the armor plating it was ricocheting off of.

Divine-Wind
09-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
I discovered just last week that ricochets off armour are visibly modelled. I was attacking a Sturmovik in my 190 when I noticed not just the usual flashes off armour but actual trails rebounding off the plane. At least I THINK it's supposed to be a ricochet. Here's a pic. What do you think?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/FlatSpinMan/ricohets.jpg
I also noticed this... I haven't seen it with any other plane though.

Lurch1962
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I got into this game with FB, and right off the bat noticed the ricochets off the IL-2. If memory serves, no other plane will do this. After reading about the armored "bathtub" in the IL-2's cockpit, it was obvious what was causing the ricochets.

The yellow-green flashes you see with cockpit hits I've always assumed were from the plexiglass.

VW-IceFire
09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I've not only seen this happen with IL-2s and IL-10s but a few other types. Tends to happen much more rarely...probably because so few others are armored like those two are. The IL-2 especially has the whole nose section encased in an armored piece while most other planes have a couple of armored plates and not much else.

Pyrres
09-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I have seen that happen with many planes, not just Il2 and Il10. Just hit shalow enought and with for example with Hurricane Mk1:s .303´s and you will see them some times if you aim badly and the bullets dont have the energy to penetrate.