PDA

View Full Version : Damage related questions...

greg799
11-03-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm fairly new to the game and really am ingrossed with it. Recently I took some depth charge damage to the stern torpedo room. The damage report showed that the stb prop was distroyed and the port prop was damaged. I was also taking on water as the graphic showed water rising in that room. I slowly began to sink and I eventually had to blow balast to halt that and began an assent. I never made it to the surface and eventually lost the boat to excessive flooding.
My Question.
1) There was a graphic in the damaged torpedo room that looked like an "X" with some numbers that seemed to be counting down. What does that represent?
2) I had a fully functional damage repair crew but I was not allowed to assign it to repair work in that area. Why? Seems like they could have at least worked on slowing down the flooding.
3) The flooding was issolated to the stern torpedo room. it was sealed off so how could flooding in such a small area sink the boat? Is this accurate?

Michiel_88
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
1) I 'm not sure, but I think it's the flooding recovery symbol.

2) If silent running is on, your repair crew won't do a thing.

3) I think so, extra weight & instability and no props too to use your engines.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/Michiel_88/signature.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/michieldeclercq/entered.jpg

Kaleun1961
11-03-2006, 10:37 AM
The numbers counting down relate to the flooding time of that compartment. I'm reciting from memory so I can't say for sure which is which, but one number indicates the time remaining for complete flooding of that compartment, the other number indicates the time remaining to finish repairing the leaks. Something like that; sorry if I'm not quite correct. I've looked in the Community Manual online but can't see anything there about flooding.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/K-61/Miscellaneous/K61-cropped.jpg

lecek
11-03-2006, 11:17 AM
You get two clocks per affected compartment in a flooding situation.

If you move your mouse over each clock, you get a tool tip telling you what it is.

One clock tells you how long you have until the room is flooded. The other clock (I think only their if your repair crew is there but I can't remember) tells you how long until they can recover from the flooding by pumping the water out. (It could be you get one at a time, when the flooding stops it becomes a recovery clock...)

You need to have your repair crew manned and and you cannot be on silent running. In order to replair a compartment, you need to click on the compartment in the smaller sub icon on the top left.

Be aware that even if you stop the flooding, a partially flooded compartment will make it difficult to keep depth or even balance. If you are not careful you can sink right down to crush depth and die.

Yes one flooded compartment can kill the boat.

If you have to compartments flooded, you have to figure out which one will flood first and take that on with your damage control.

Sometimes what will happen is that the repair effor slows the flooding down and now the other side is going to flood first. So you have to switch between them.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

100K Club Member

AdolphMeinhard
11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
If you have silors in the compartment they will help with damage too. Also make sure your damage control team is manned and the "Hammer" icon is displayed. It is very common to forget to come off silent running for damage control. Pumps don't work, torpedos won't be loaded and repair teams are not functional in damage control. Good Luck A.M.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/rebelbagby/kaiser1.jpg

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Bootsmann0815
11-03-2006, 12:21 PM
The X is a pump symbol. You get it with aby damage, even if the compartment is not flooding. It counts down (always down - if the compartment receives more damage more time is added in a big jump, not a reversal odf count direction) the time until complete repair is achieved, either by the crew in the compartment, or, if you assign the external repair crew to that compartment, by the combined efforts of both internal and external crews.
The second pump icon indicates flooding level (and therefore only shows when flooding is present). It counts DOWN the time to total destruction of the compartment (= loss of entire boat) or UP when repair is in progress (better repair state = longer time to total destruction). It disappears as soon as flooding has been brought under control, though some residual water may still be present in the compartment (usually removed in the remaining repair process unless some items are totally destroyed - typically the stern tube), in which case lecek's tip about the balance of the boat being afffected permanently until the end of the patrol is quite important.
When multiple compartments are damaged, always prioritise the use of the external repair crew to compartments which show two pump icons - getting a grip on flooding is more important than anything else; and don't worry about coming out of silent running in order to commence repair. In flooding scenarios the enemy can hear you anyway, because of the sound of the water rushing into your boat.

And that the boat is lost when one compartment is fully flooded is historically accurate; the bulkheads were not strong enough to withstand the pressure, not even the hemispheric hatches (Kugelschotts) on either side of the control room. They were only designed to hold the waters out for a few moments so that the people in the control room might have a chance to escape through the conning tower.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Use the vertical!