PDA

View Full Version : Official Catalyst 4.12 OpenGL driver and 3.02bm

Persecutor_352
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I've been having video problems with my ATI Radeon X800XT PE and IL2 FB/AEP/PF version 3.02bm, like so many other folks.

I settled on the beta (second version) 4.12 drivers and the "old" (don't they call that "Legacy" now, LOL) method of running the game. The "New" executable left me with unloaded textures most of the time. Even with the "old" executable I would get occasional video artifacting, most noticably on the F-4U's top rear cockpit panel.

Today the "official" WHQL 4.12 Catalyst drivers were released and I "eagerly" downloaded them, hoping that they would be an improvement.

Before I went through the uninstall,clean,install ritual I checked the driver version and found the version number to be identical with the Beta(2) version I was using. So I grabbed the OpenGL driver from the package and compared it .... it's NOT the same ..... later date and larger file size.

On a whim I put the "official" OpenGL driver in my system and tried the NEW executable.

SURPRISE, and pleasantly so, the video artifacting was gone, the textures loaded fine, and the game was a tad faster. Looks like ATI has improved it again. Bravo.

Soooooo, although your results may vary, give these a try if you are having video issues with 3.02bm, particularly the "new" executable.

For those of you who may not be clear on how to "pull" the OpenGL driver from the driver set, here are some step-by-step instructions:

1. Visit the ATI driver site and download the 4.12 Catalyst drivers.
2. Run the ATI Catalyst driver executable, saving the unzipped files someplace you can find them .... BUT

3. When the red ATI screen comes up and the drivers begin to install, HIT CANCEL.

4. When you are back at the desktop, navigate to the place where the ATI Catalyst 4.12 drivers were unzipped.

5. Open the folder (which will be called wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-082-041130a-019577c).

6. Navigate to the BIN\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_19654 folder.

7. Copy the B_19654 folder to your root C:\ folder.

8. START-> RUN -> type "CMD" -> press "Enter".

9. in the DOS box, at the C: prompt, type "cd C:\B_19654" and press <ENTER>

10. at the next C: prompt, type "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll" and press <ENTER>

You will get a message telling you that the file "atioglxx.dll" has been created.

11. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32, locate your existing atioglxx.dll file, and rename it to something you will remember, making sure that the name does NOT have "dll" as the extension. Try "atioglxx-dll.OLD".

12. Drag or copy the resulting "atioglxx.dll" file to your WINDOWS\System32 folder.

13. You're done. You can safely delete the C:\B_19654 folder and it's contents.

14. If for some reason this "atioglxx.dll" driver doesn't work well on your system and you want to revert to the other, without any additional install/uninstall hassles, simply delete or rename this one and rename the original file back to "atioglxx.dll". You'll be back to square one.

Some folks like to copy the new 'atioglxx.dll' file to their main game folder, in the theory that the game will use the copy in the game folder, ignoring the copy in the Windows System32 folder. They may be right, but I like to play it safe.

Of course, you can always install the 4.12 Official drivers and see for yourself. If you do, please UNINSTALL the old drivers (use the "Add/Remove Programs" portion of the Control Panel for this purpose, removing both the Control Panel and the Drivers, then reboot.

Boot into SAFE MODE and run DriverCleaner (www.Driverheaven.net (http://www.Driverheaven.net)). Reboot into Windows and install the 4.12s.

Nice, clean install, but doing so commits you to the whole 4.12 official suite, unless you go through the uninstall/install steps again.

Using just the ATIOGLXX.DLL file lets you try the updated OpenGL driver without the hassle of a complete driver switch.

Hope this is of help.

Persecutor_352
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I've been having video problems with my ATI Radeon X800XT PE and IL2 FB/AEP/PF version 3.02bm, like so many other folks.

I settled on the beta (second version) 4.12 drivers and the "old" (don't they call that "Legacy" now, LOL) method of running the game. The "New" executable left me with unloaded textures most of the time. Even with the "old" executable I would get occasional video artifacting, most noticably on the F-4U's top rear cockpit panel.

Today the "official" WHQL 4.12 Catalyst drivers were released and I "eagerly" downloaded them, hoping that they would be an improvement.

Before I went through the uninstall,clean,install ritual I checked the driver version and found the version number to be identical with the Beta(2) version I was using. So I grabbed the OpenGL driver from the package and compared it .... it's NOT the same ..... later date and larger file size.

On a whim I put the "official" OpenGL driver in my system and tried the NEW executable.

SURPRISE, and pleasantly so, the video artifacting was gone, the textures loaded fine, and the game was a tad faster. Looks like ATI has improved it again. Bravo.

Soooooo, although your results may vary, give these a try if you are having video issues with 3.02bm, particularly the "new" executable.

For those of you who may not be clear on how to "pull" the OpenGL driver from the driver set, here are some step-by-step instructions:

1. Visit the ATI driver site and download the 4.12 Catalyst drivers.
2. Run the ATI Catalyst driver executable, saving the unzipped files someplace you can find them .... BUT

3. When the red ATI screen comes up and the drivers begin to install, HIT CANCEL.

4. When you are back at the desktop, navigate to the place where the ATI Catalyst 4.12 drivers were unzipped.

5. Open the folder (which will be called wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-082-041130a-019577c).

6. Navigate to the BIN\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_19654 folder.

7. Copy the B_19654 folder to your root C:\ folder.

8. START-&gt; RUN -&gt; type "CMD" -&gt; press "Enter".

9. in the DOS box, at the C: prompt, type "cd C:\B_19654" and press &lt;ENTER&gt;

10. at the next C: prompt, type "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll" and press &lt;ENTER&gt;

You will get a message telling you that the file "atioglxx.dll" has been created.

11. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32, locate your existing atioglxx.dll file, and rename it to something you will remember, making sure that the name does NOT have "dll" as the extension. Try "atioglxx-dll.OLD".

12. Drag or copy the resulting "atioglxx.dll" file to your WINDOWS\System32 folder.

13. You're done. You can safely delete the C:\B_19654 folder and it's contents.

14. If for some reason this "atioglxx.dll" driver doesn't work well on your system and you want to revert to the other, without any additional install/uninstall hassles, simply delete or rename this one and rename the original file back to "atioglxx.dll". You'll be back to square one.

Some folks like to copy the new 'atioglxx.dll' file to their main game folder, in the theory that the game will use the copy in the game folder, ignoring the copy in the Windows System32 folder. They may be right, but I like to play it safe.

Of course, you can always install the 4.12 Official drivers and see for yourself. If you do, please UNINSTALL the old drivers (use the "Add/Remove Programs" portion of the Control Panel for this purpose, removing both the Control Panel and the Drivers, then reboot.

Boot into SAFE MODE and run DriverCleaner (www.Driverheaven.net (http://www.Driverheaven.net)). Reboot into Windows and install the 4.12s.

Nice, clean install, but doing so commits you to the whole 4.12 official suite, unless you go through the uninstall/install steps again.

Using just the ATIOGLXX.DLL file lets you try the updated OpenGL driver without the hassle of a complete driver switch.

Hope this is of help.