PDA

View Full Version : Joy stick

Ulriikka1981
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I recently bought IL-2 1946 but I have never tried a flight simulator before. Anyhow it looks like a great game.
I have a joy stick but when I try to use it in the game it is like jumping on a wild horse and the plane behaves very drastic and very often crash. The keyboard is much nicer but I think it is more fun and realistic with a joy stick.
There must be a way to make the joy stick behave nice and proper. Does anyone have an idea? It is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.
Sorry for bad spelling.

dirkpit7
10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a decent joystick and should work very well with IL-2.

As for your problem: in the game menu, select "Hardware setup" and then "Input". There you can define how sensitive the controller is. For your joystick, the sensivity values should form a slowly increasing curve. For example:

1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

Do this to all three axis (pitch, roll, yaw) and try if it helps.

Also notice that stick movements should be very small most of the time.

Ulriikka1981
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Kiitos (that means thank you)

Originally posted by dirkpit7:
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a decent joystick and should work very well with IL-2.

As for your problem: in the game menu, select "Hardware setup" and then "Input". There you can define how sensitive the controller is. For your joystick, the sensivity values should form a slowly increasing curve. For example:

1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

Do this to all three axis (pitch, roll, yaw) and try if it helps.

Also notice that stick movements should be very small most of the time.

dirkpit7
10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Ole hyvä http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

squareusr
10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
with a logi stick you should also go into the windows calibration screen (the stick does not really need calibration but we go there for testing the raw signal) and check for smoothness, because many logi sticks have horribly bad pots which create a very "jumpy" signal.

go into the calibration screen where you can move a cross around and to the one with the bar for grip twist and try to move the cross/bar as smooth as possible (you can also check "display raw values" if you like it technical). if you can't make the cross/bar move smoothly pixel by pixel (as opposed to values on screen sticking firmly to the old value while moving and then suddenly jump to the next value) then your stick has died the logi-death and is ready for being replaced.

some people seem to have smooth logi sticks with good pots, but most had a jumpy logi and then went on.

Sillius_Sodus
10-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Try this thread for setting up your stick, the settings mentioned work very well for me.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5501083073

Ulriikka1981
10-27-2008, 02:42 AM
Thank you. Now everything works better. Except my flying skills, of course.

P.FunkAdelic
10-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Ulriikka1981:
Thank you. Now everything works better. Except my flying skills, of course.
All in time. You could try Joint-Ops. Free online flight training. They take you from nothing and teach you the basics like you ought to know them.

Just finished Basic Flight School. Very fun and educational and I can't recommend it enough.

www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com)

Give it a try. Costs nothing but time and I'm sure gamers spend too much of that already. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I am assuming you already got your Logitech stick.. You will probably be needing another one in a while... Logitechs have been known for their unreliability in the past. That may have changed.

Hit The Nugget's Guide in my sig.

Maico_249th
10-28-2008, 05:14 AM
No disrespect Bearcat99, but.. My first Joystick was a 30 dollar Logitech and I am not talking top of the line. It lasted me about 3 years untill I finnally gave it away. Bearcat is right. They are not the best by any means, but for now it will serve you good. Hold on to the box and receipt thou. Soon you may want to upgrade to something like a Saitek. Of course, keep your eyes and ears open for a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. Maybe someone in the family has one in the basement...

Bearcat99
10-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Hi ya Maico.. you still out of town?

You are the exception not the rule... and yeah I agree with you.. since he has it it will do but dont be surprised when it starts to go south..