PDA

View Full Version : Online ONLY DRM - do NOT use it

sv398
08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Just a thought about the DRM this game is going to use. I sincerely wish that Ubi does not implement the stupid "be online or you cannot play" kind of DRM.

I am a long time fan of Settlers but I didn't buy the latest one because of that, and I am an even biggest fan of Heroes so please do not destroy this game for me too.

karinnarre
08-23-2010, 01:26 AM
It only depends on profit. If marketing studies show that only a small percent of the target audience will be lost by implementing this, but from the total number of players more will buy the game rather than playing a pirated version - and in the end more money will be gained from sales ... it's clear what they'll do.

At the end of the day Ubi is a corporation.
More profit [vs] less ... hard to blame them - even if the system proves to be a pain in the *** for some users due to their current connection limitations.

znork
08-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by karinnarre:
It only depends on profit. If marketing studies show that only a small percent of the target audience will be lost by implementing this, but from the total number of players more will buy the game rather than playing a pirated version - and in the end more money will be gained from sales ... it's clear what they'll do.

At the end of the day Ubi is a corporation.
More profit [vs] less ... hard to blame them - even if the system proves to be a pain in the *** for some users due to their current connection limitations.

Yes and that is why its important to keep the presure up. Since we are the fans its important the we show the down side.

karinnarre
08-23-2010, 03:12 AM
An alternative would be better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kartabon
08-23-2010, 04:23 AM
The offline mode has been ALWAYS cracked down, no matter the protection (even DRM). The problem is the online mode. The thing they did with HoMM V was perfect since you needed a valid serial to play online. The offline mode, from my point of view, is easily to be cracked, so don't waste your time ubi, and think about us, the true fans, who will always buy the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dchalfont
08-23-2010, 08:54 AM
As someone who plays exclusively offline and someone with a terrible aus internet connection. If the game has any kind of DRM, including steam activation. I won't buy it, i've bought every HOMM game and expansion since HOMM2...

Steam is a pain and DRM is unnecessary for a series that thrives on repeat long time customers.

Follow stardocks fine example. Their upcoming Elemental: War of magic does not even require a cd key to install and play offline, in addition to this, they are implementing a system whereby systematically you can simply pay the shiping cost and they will send you an updated legit retail disk with the updated game on it so people with bad/no internet connection can have the updated game for years to come and REALLY get their money's worth, I kid you not.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390801

Kartabon
08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Steam a pain? Why you say so? Steam is one of the best platforms to buy/download games, I actually love it.

Pankratz1980
08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Kartabon:
Steam a pain? Why you say so? Steam is one of the best platforms to buy/download games, I actually love it.

I have to support dchalfont and say that I will seriously think TWICE before buying this game if it uses Steamworks. I HATE IT.

I'll say something unpopular - I'd prefer Ubi DRM over Steam. I hate it when I am forced to install a shop client just to be able to play a game.

May I suggest that Ubisoft look at Impulse::Reactor for copy protection and community features, which is used in Stardock's Elemental War of Magic?

Elemental does not have online activation, but Impulse Reactor gives such an option to the publishers if they want it via GOO DRM.

Moreover, unlike Steam, it DOES NOT require any client to be installed and you still get achivements, friends list, chat, autoupdates and other stuff, also, it allows mods to be uploaded directly to the network for everyone to download.

What's important is that games using Reactor can be sold everywhere including Steam, because no client is bundled.

Check this video to see it in action, it's rather old, there are new ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXK7BtheeUA

It really would be a MUCH better thing to use than Steamworks.

Hodge_Podge
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Please don't force players to be online to play single-player mode.

Justice
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Hodge_Podge:

I have to agree. Even in the more wealthy countries there are thousands of potential customers who just can't play the game if they have to be online. Annoying landlords, freezing internet connections and crazy campus limitations on the internet are just some of the factors I can come to think of - I couldn't even access the online parts of Ubi games for 8 months thanks to campus limitations and when I am at my parents' place the internet tends to freeze completely every 2 hours before restarting.

Add in that I don't want to waste (laptop) electricity on an internet connection if I play SP, being able to play while travelling and not always wanting to give 6 people access to my internet if I play LAN with them and I would hate such a DRM.

Elder_TdM
08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Or I will consider seriously if buy the game, but I will play it...

Wintermist
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I hope they will use a serial and leave it at that. I hate having to have discs in the drive for all the different games I play. I'd even be happy with it having to use STEAM (though buy it somewhere else since STEAM is bastard expensive).

znork
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Dejavu annyone?

tomagabi
12-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi, people! Any news in the DRM system? I too hope we will not have to connect to internet to be able to play single-player (and that includes custom maps against the AI). I already had to give up Silent Hunter V because of UBI's "on-line DRM" and to be honest I felt sorry for that as I enjoyed the previous SHIV a lot, even made MODs for it. In fact I had big plans for modding with SHV, but I have dropped them all because of the DRM. Look, I buy the game so I expect to own it. Otherwise it is called renting. Hell, even Starforce is better now. I bought DCS A-10 and Starforce has now a very nice on-line activation, off-line activation too and unlimited activations as long as you don't activate too soon (you get one activation/month up to a given number - e.g. 8). After activation you are free to go offline, online or whatever. And of course they can also use serial keys, disk checks and so on. Just drop the evil "UBI on-line DRM". -> This was for UBI, in case some will pretend not to see the direction of the message.

kodial79
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
I did read somewhere in some Q&A that it is unlikely for Heroes VI to have this DRM thingie. So let's just hope it won't.

I, for one, am not gonna buy it, if it requires to be online to play.

SwampLord450
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Having to be online to play a game with such a strong single-player component would suck. For example, if I'm taking my laptop on the train, Heroes is a perfect game for a train ride; long, relaxing, and not requiring a mouse or constant attention. If I have to be online, it's not possible for me to play Heroes. Not good.

SandroTheMaster
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
It seems like the "always online" DRM is being slyly dropped in favor for an "online only on boot up" policy. Not ideal, but manageable for shoddy internet connections (still a no-no for no internet connections).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12...-28852#comment-28852 (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/constant-net-connection-no-longer-required-for-ubisoft-games/?mtc=comment-28852#comment-28852)

So, yeah, things are looking up.

tomagabi
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Well so it is still required to be online to play. Even if the connection is required at startup, there is no change in my opinion compared to the previous DRM, as I play a lot while offline. And to me offline means that there is NO internet available. Not even for a tiny little second. Looks like I'm going to go around buying this one too.

SandroTheMaster
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by tomagabi:
Well so it is still required to be online to play. Even if the connection is required at startup, there is no change in my opinion compared to the previous DRM, as I play a lot while offline. And to me offline means that there is NO internet available. Not even for a tiny little second. Looks like I'm going to go around buying this one too.

Take notice that it was the case of the games that ALREADY use the ALWAYS ON DRM. R.U.S.E. eschewed it completely and Heroes might not use it, the remarkable thing is that those games already had it and then it was dialed back.

wdcryer
01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Wintermist:
I'd even be happy with it having to use STEAM (though buy it somewhere else since STEAM is bastard expensive).

How is Steam expensive? Steam is free and they have tons of crazy sales and promotions. What vendor do you use?

Dergos
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
i personaly like steam, since you can play without a disc and you can get some nifty deals on it too. never had any problems with it

dchalfont
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
If this has any DRM I won't buy it, ESPECIALLY if it has steam integration.

People's aregument for steam integration is weak and consists of "steam is good".

There are thousands of games on steam that are not steam integrated games ( aka the retail counterparts do not have heinous DRM included ) yet you can still buy them on steam. So people that like to buy games on steam can do so regardless. But retail users will not necessarily have an internet connection. I myself have disconnected my home internet and am moving house. I don't know when I'll be getting it back on. But I won't be buying a game I can't play out of the boz on principle either. If I buy a car and had to choose the one that came with a key or one that had an electronic lock that you had to ring up for authorisation to drive it each time ( each re-installation ) which one do you think I would choose....

dc84
01-06-2011, 04:09 AM
I agree, don't use DRM.

May be you should use another methods :
- updates can't be installed if it is cracked
- can't play multipleer game

Like Microsoft do.
You need to install small aplication from internet, it checks your version, and if it is ok, you can install updates or add-ons.

wdcryer
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
It doesn't need to be Steam integrated, but I hope it is at least offered through Steam. I'm pretty sure it will be. Steam is great for managing your game library across multiple computers, not losing or scratching discs, getting updates, getting good deals, and being able to coordinate with friends.

Steam doesn't require you to be online, aside from downloading the game, so for most people it's a convenient option.

I prefer games that offer multiplayer through Steam to the other services I have tried (Windows Live, GameSpy). That said, it's not a deal breaker. I usually play hotseat, anyway.

mcgslo
01-07-2011, 04:31 AM
i also want to play heroes hotseat on beach or outside where i dont have internet access or on vacation...

i never bought game that uses so strict DRM...I would agree for online multiplayer games.... but for singleplayer or hotseat like MP is always online DRM like some cheap 1.st april joke? right