PDA

View Full Version : Do the royals EVER think?

CUDGEdaveUK
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4170623.stm
Fancy dress"joke" is in bad taste,this is something prince phillip would do,he never thinks before engaging his mouth.

Guidon666
01-13-2005, 06:53 PM
You know. I am actually sick of hearing about what he did. Not of what he did... just the overblown news coverage he is getting, even here in the US.

He's a dumb*** kid, in a rich family, and spoiled.

As far as the "desert uniform and swastika armband" that one news reports called the Hitler costume. Who cares. should he visit the Auschwitz death camp. No. It is stupid.

Yes, I believe the Holocaust was horrible, So was slavery, so was the treatment of the American Indians, and so is a lot of other things that happened in the world's past.

Having his visit Auschwitz, is about as stupid as having someone who dressed like Gerorge Washington visit a disply on slavery, or someone who dressed as a cowboy go visit an indian reservation.

It is simply being completely blown out of propartion by the "politically correct" mainstream that everyone wants to adopt.

And what about his "Friends" that were at the party with him? Did any encourage him to change clothes? Doesnt appear so, so if there are racial motivations behind it... perhaps they should look at the entire group.

Deliverance
01-14-2005, 04:32 AM
THe issue for many people is that the British tax payers are paying for his wealthy life style and exclusive education, many of these taxpayers lost loved ones and or fought in the war against the nazi regime and are currently having to survive on minimal pensions.

If he does not want to accept the responsabilities that his "royal" family impose, he can always publically renounce these priviledges and enter the real world and scrape a living with the rest of us here..

CUDGEdaveUK
01-14-2005, 07:27 AM
And the idiot Harry is going to join the British Army as an Officer,God help us.
And as Bill my neighbour who served in the Army says "he's a bloody disgrace"

Hornet57
01-14-2005, 02:59 PM
All this expensive education he is suppose to be getting didnt he learn that a royal prince should be a little more consiensous of what he does.
Then again his Father wanted to be a pair of knickers worn by his mistress. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

nagant_m44
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Who cares it was a COSTUME PARTY for goodness sake. I have a PanzerGrenadier(mechanized infantry), Fallschrimjager(paratrooper), and I have a Panzerjake(sorry Guidon but I think its the best looking tank uniform ever designed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) from the SS 2nd Armored division "Das Reich".(none of them are original, of course, they are just used for reenacting and things like that).
If I wore any of these uniforms to a Costume Party, will anyone care?(unless its at the local Jewish community center)

Hornet57
01-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Try putting on a swasticka on that sleeve and see how you will be greeted and I don't care if you are wearing a tweety bird custome.

nagant_m44
01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
I understand what you mean hornet, but its a costume party. A swasticka is part of some german uniforms. Now if he always wore one then that would be a problem...

Guidon666
01-14-2005, 07:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nagant_m44:
... and I have a Panzerjake(sorry Guidon but I think its the best looking tank uniform ever designed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) from the SS 2nd Armored division "Das Reich". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to apologize. It is a nice looking uniform. Although I like my CVCs for the sake of they are really...really ... really comfortable. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

nagant_m44
01-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Guidon, is the Iraqi Army going to use t-72s and t-62's? If so, where do you get the spare parts and ammunition, since i assume the navy and airforce did a good job in destroying the stockpiles.

Guidon666
01-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Honestly?
I have NO clue what they will use.

That decision is echelons above my level of command/decision and I havent heard anything even remotely related to this.

Now given my thoughts on the subject, I would think it would not be difficult to re-arm them with the same variant of armored vehicles they had. There are enough of these vehicles in existance, although not in Iraq. I still think that this may be a long way off though. We still have difficulties in arming/trusting them with AKs.

And not to scrub the Airforce and Navy.... they really didnt play much a roll in destroying any of the armor forces in Iraq. Most of it was done with 3/7 Cav and 2/69 Armor. Just as it was in desert storm.... a bunch of ordanance droped and not a lot of vehicles destroyed. And just like the claims that tha air-war won the day in Bosnia and Kosovo.... funny how the airforce makes these claims only to have the Army have to go in and actually do things for them (But I guess it seems sexier to think the flyboys do it all) (There is no hint of bitterness is there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

CUDGEdaveUK
01-15-2005, 07:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nagant_m44:
Who cares it was a COSTUME PARTY for goodness sake. I have a PanzerGrenadier(mechanized infantry), Fallschrimjager(paratrooper), and I have a Panzerjake(sorry Guidon but I think its the best looking tank uniform ever designed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) from the SS 2nd Armored division "Das Reich".(none of them are original, of course, they are just used for reenacting and things like that).

Your an ignorant idiot,He was wearing a swastika symbol(so **** if he wore it only one,he should NOT of worn it at all) of the nazi party,who killed millions of people.
Engage your brain before you comment on this topic.
If I wore any of these uniforms to a Costume Party, will anyone care?(unless its at the local Jewish community center) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nagant_m44
01-15-2005, 09:01 AM
LOL RMC i think you're misquoting me.

MDS_Geist
01-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Wearing a swastika for any reason is insensitive to many people besides Jews. Wearing a nazi uniform is one thing, but wearing the swastika armband is certainly in poor taste and offensive.

Guidon666
01-16-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MDS_Geist:
Wearing a swastika for any reason is insensitive to many people besides Jews. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this statement to a degree. It is insensitive to their past and the unfortunate actions of the Holocaust.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wearing a nazi uniform is one thing, but wearing the swastika armband is certainly in poor taste and offensive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont agree with this at all. The Swastika was part of the uniform. So why is it ok to wear the Nazi uniform as long as you wear it incorrectly. I Am not Anti-Jewish, nor do I see the actions of the death camps in a positive light. But we have gotten rediculous in associations of symbols with pure evil. I agree that we shouldnt forget the past, but we shouldnt have to have it crammed down our throats every day either.

There is no way to say it without some one drawing the anti-semite conclusion that I find nothing wrong with the swastika to a costume party. It is part of the costume.

While not the same at the heart of the matter, it is things like this that lead to a previous military base i lived on banning Greenbay Packer (NFL FOOTBALL TEAM) paraphanalia from the base because a local gang (Pimp A** Crypt Killing Easy Riders) adopted the symbols as their sign. Someone elses misuse of the symbol doesnt make the symbol evil. It is the person wearing it.

MDS_Geist
01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guidon666:
I agree with this statement to a degree. It is insensitive to their past and the unfortunate actions of the Holocaust. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or to the Russians, Romany, Homosexuals, etc. Other than for reasons of being in a hisrotical re-enactment, I have no idea why anyone would want to wear sch a thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guidon666:
I dont agree with this at all. The Swastika was part of the uniform. So why is it ok to wear the Nazi uniform as long as you wear it incorrectly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, it is a reversed swastika rather than an "actual swastika" and only the Nazis used it.

Second, I do not think it is okay to wear a nazi uniform any more than it is okay for someone who is not a Marine to wear a Marine uniform. If you're not a nazi or an actor, don't wear the uniform.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guidon666:But we have gotten rediculous in associations of symbols with pure evil. I agree that we shouldnt forget the past, but we shouldnt have to have it crammed down our throats every day either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hardly think that it is cramming it down anyone's throat that people are upset when someone who could potentially be the king of England (for whatever that's worth and how unlikely it is) wears a symbol that many of his countryment died fighting against the people who wore it. It's certainly insensitive and shows poor judgement.

There is no way to say it without some one drawing the anti-semite conclusion that I find nothing wrong with the swastika to a costume party. It is part of the costume. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, it could be the fever but I'm not following you here. I haven't heard anyone credible call him an anti-Semite, just an insensitive or not too bright kid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guidon666: Someone elses misuse of the symbol doesnt make the symbol evil. It is the person wearing it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that when you see a group of young men with shaved heads goose-stepping down the street in brownshirts and with nazi insignia you can get a pretty clear idea of who they are and what they are doing. The nazis are the ones who altered and misused the symbol, and the nazi armband represents a great many evil things. At the very least is a poor and insensitive choice of costume and he should not have worn it.

Trogdor93
01-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I think it's tasteless and he was an idiot to wear it, but now the Germans are talking about banning swastikas across Europe. As much as I abhor Nazis I'm a free speech kind of guy and more importantly I think it might be more dangerous to ban them outright because you shouldn't censor history. I'd rather not get into whether or not Britons should be supporting the Royal Family. They're a bunch of idiots, but it is a part of their history and it's really a decision that's up to the British people, not me.

I'd post a link to the article I read but it seems it's no longer up (or I just can't spot it amongst the others). It was linked at news.google.com in case anyone is interested.

Guidon666
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have no idea why anyone would want to wear sch a thing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Neither do I. nor do I have any idea why people would want to wear half the things the kids do now adays...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First, it is a reversed swastika rather than an "actual swastika" and only the Nazis used it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are correct. And I didnt draw a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Second, I do not think it is okay to wear a nazi uniform any more than it is okay for someone who is not a Marine to wear a Marine uniform. If you're not a nazi or an actor, don't wear the uniform <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Valid for an opinion. I neither agree nor disagree with this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's certainly insensitive and shows poor judgement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, I agree with you that it was in poor judgement. But it is a matter of differing opinions as to wether it is insensitive to me. While I agree that others wiil find it insensitive.. it doesnt bother me. It is an article of clothing worn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I haven't heard anyone credible call him an anti-Semite, just an insensitive or not too bright kid <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was about myself not him. Usually you try to defend someone elses stupidity and some jack-a** starts to call you an anti-semite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Except that when you see a group of young men with shaved heads goose-stepping down the street in brownshirts and with nazi insignia you can get a pretty clear idea of who they are and what they are doing. The nazis are the ones who altered and misused the symbol, and the nazi armband represents a great many evil things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To me, this is, again, the wearer not the symbol which adds the evil to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>At the very least is a poor and insensitive choice of costume and he should not have worn it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with the poor choice.. especially for his stature and position.

I guess I just dont get worked up over symbols. This really doesnt bother me any more than someone wearing a shirt made to look like the american flag (Which is technically a 'disgrace' to the flag). So are jackets made to represent the flag, underwear, bumper stickers, the little red/white/blue ribbons that say "Support our troops" "Which i have on my Yukon)... etc. I need to find the "code of display" for the US flag. It is really interesting (to me) on how many "patriots" disgrace the flag every day.

Tycho_lives
01-16-2005, 06:24 PM
And not to scrub the Airforce and Navy.... they really didnt play much a roll in destroying any of the armor forces in Iraq. Most of it was done with 3/7 Cav and 2/69 Armor. Just as it was in desert storm.... a bunch of ordanance droped and not a lot of vehicles destroyed. And just like the claims that tha air-war won the day in Bosnia and Kosovo.... funny how the airforce makes these claims only to have the Army have to go in and actually do things for them (But I guess it seems sexier to think the flyboys do it all) (There is no hint of bitterness is there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong, I love Armor/Cav, but aren't you underemphasizing the air force's effectiveness (you can diss the navy anytime you want though) just a little bit there? One Air Force global hawk located three hundred Iraqi tanks (38 percent of Iraqs armored forces). Im not sure if there were airstrikes routed to knock them out, or if the locations were just given to armor instead, but thats fairly significant isnt it? Airpower also was used to shatter the Iraqi infrastructure before ground forces were sent in. Either way, I don't mean to belittle the Army's armored efforts in any way. I guess I just happen to be a fan of airpower as well.

Guidon666
01-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Dont get me wrong, I guess it came out much more harsh than was inteded. I do not dislike airpower (naval or airforce) but they do not as much as their reputation boasts. And I never take offense to those that think differently about ground forces than I (to include Armor, Infantry etc...)

The armored vehicles that were located were, in fact, handed over to ground forces as the weather did not allow the aircraft to launch. And they did destroy the infrastructure. And I guess I forgot to include UAVs in with airpower...

The Airforce claimed very minimal enemy combatants destroyed and focused their power on infrastructure (majority hit with long range cruise missiles). And while I see their place in the grand role of things, and while not dislikeing them, I think they thump their chests more than they should. For example... look at the f117. Originally it was designated as an attack/bomber. they couldnt get people to fly them. Now they switch it to a fighter designation and they all started lining up - yet their mission didnt change one bit, they are small attack/bombers. Not to mention the pilot does little more than system management. Watching a documentary on Discover almost made me sick with how little the pilot really did... took off, and landed... the aircraft flew to the location, dropped the weapons then turned and flew back. a quote from the interviewd pilot was something similar to " While I watched the tracers race to the sky I got a little uneasy knowing the aircraft was going to fly into that and there was little I could do."

I vaguely recall a quote from an Iraqi General (in regards to Desert Storm) "When we invaded Kuwait I had 100 tanks. After 14 days of the Airwar I had 97, after 100 hours of the ground war I had none." it is not the exact quote as I can not find my book that has them in it.

Tycho_lives
01-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I'll admit that I don't really "know" how effective the Air Force was during OIF. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard statistics available on the matter. I do, however, have the impression that the effectiveness of airpower has increased something like tenfold between 1991 and the present. After all, the opening night of OIF was the first time that a raid force used exclusively precision guided munitions, which means that hit to ordnance ratios had to have been something like 80-90%. I honestly believe that the combined arms strategy is the best. Aircraft create shock and confusion among the enemy, keeping their higher echelon assets disorganized and suppressed, so the tankers and infantry (mechanized) can sweep through and route the enemy post haste. But with you being in the Cav/Armor, I'm sure I'm preaching to the quoir on that one.

Deliverance
01-17-2005, 09:36 AM
there ya go, another thread hijacked http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif