PDA

View Full Version : AC - The good and the bad.

Sparcrypt
11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Well heres my feedback for the developers (assuming they read the boards ;P)

Now keep in mind I am actually VERY satisfied with this game, though this is the kind of game that appeals to me directly and I had a lot of fun with it. But, I believe in proper and honest feedback, and there is a LOT of work that this game should have had done before release, even if that means delay.

The good
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The graphics are brilliant.
<LI>The animation/character movement.
<LI>Control system was highly intuitive and easy to use.
<LI>I loved the plot... well.. the 3rd crusade part anyways.
[/list]

The bad
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Too few activities to do in game. The fact that you can only do 3 kinds of investigation was a bit annoying, though I found them fun through the entire game.. it still would have been nice to have a more involved and interesting system. Even a completely linear system would have been fine, you know, find a high point, get a lead from it, investigate it however you like and from that lead get ANOTHER lead and so on.. I honestly dont know what would be the perfect system, but I'm not a developer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

<LI>The combat system lacked polish. Most of the game you can get by simpley by guarding, waiting for an attack and countering... until you hit the last level where that kind of fighting gets you painfully killed over and over by a certain group of annoying templars. I quite literally didn't really get skilled at the combat system until that point, because I was forced to. The combat system should be a gradual thing, with challenges and milestones so that the player builds up skill through the game rather then being thrown into a hard fight towards the end that is fairly easy once you get some practice in... unfortunately there was no REASON to practice serious combat up until then because it was dead simple.

<LI>Where's my god damn crossbow??? Hell it's even featured in the rendered cutscene at the start of the game! I'm assuming it was replaced with throwing knives, but crossbows are so damn cool...

<LI>Here is the big one... you scifi'd it... WHY?? Assassins creed was marketed and advertised as a game set in the third crusades and was already going to be popular. Only a vauge hint of scifi entered later on and noone knew what it was. The scifi plot was nowhere near as interesting as the crusades one and I hate the look of the interfaces. And there was no reason for it, it added next to nothing to the game! Instead of a GPS, give Altair a map! He had to look at the places before they appeared anyways, have him mark the map himself. Need to explain dying not being permanent? Don't bother, it's a game, we know it's not real... we don't want a game where you get one life, it would suck, so we're fine with you breaking that little rule of life. Fast forwarding memories to skip boring travel time? Noones going to care if you just let us skip it anyway, and those who do are always given the option to do it manually. Worried we have a radar and those dont exist? Extend Altairs eagle eye ability to what it was described as long ago - intuition. He can thus use his intuition to know where things are. Or just add a radar anyways, it's a game!

My point here is this.. ask yourself: what did adding scifi to the game bring? Answer: nothing. It gave a tiny little subplot that was vaugely interesting, but I'd have been happy without it. Preferred it gone actually, as I wouldn't have to bother walking to a bed and back to get back to my game. And when you make AC2 and they're off finding the artifacts, again... do we need to see the scifi return so we can watch Altair find/hide/whatever he ends up doing the other artifacts? I doubt it.

Plus, the scifi type interface really annoyed me, I was looking forward to a cool looking interface with a third crusade type theme.

<LI>Add some difficulty levels! A lot of people, myself included, found the combat system too easy (well the templars kicked my arse till I figured out how to really USE the combat system.. once I did that though they died rather fast). I'm all for games having an easy mode for people who just want a little fun, but a lot of people want a real challenge, would be nice for one to be availible.

<LI>Multiple save slots, instead of forcing you to get rid of your old game if you want to start anew, would be nice.

<LI>The free roaming wasn't really taken advantage of, and you can't just reenter the game after completion to roam around and have fun. True you can just reload the last chapter and not go do it.. but still.

<LI>It would be really nice to be able to start your missions from any point you choose... for instance if I want to try and take down a target differently, I dont really want to have to go and redo all the investigations. Let people choose to start at each stage, either investigation or assassination.

<LI>Those collect the flag missions and random assassination in a few minutes missions got kind of old really fast. They were ok for the first couple, but then it was just the same stuff over and over.

<LI>Hire more voice actors! Every saved citizen had the same thing to say pretty much! Some variety please!
[/list]

I'll edit stuff in if I think of anything else, but that pretty much covers what I have to say.

From what I can tell by looking at all the dev diaries, released information etc etc about the game to date, you guys weren't finished. Please, I worked at an EB Games for the last 2 years and I have seen COUNTLESS games fail dismally because they were not finished. People all come and buy them because it looks so damn cool, then they take it back because it's not done and doesnt do what it said it would. Thankfully this didn't happen badly to AC, but a lot of people were expecting a lot more.

Take your time, release it when it's ready and everyone will thank you for it. Hell, another 5-6 months would have done WONDERS for this game.

Sparcrypt
11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Well heres my feedback for the developers (assuming they read the boards ;P)

Now keep in mind I am actually VERY satisfied with this game, though this is the kind of game that appeals to me directly and I had a lot of fun with it. But, I believe in proper and honest feedback, and there is a LOT of work that this game should have had done before release, even if that means delay.

The good
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The graphics are brilliant.
<LI>The animation/character movement.
<LI>Control system was highly intuitive and easy to use.
<LI>I loved the plot... well.. the 3rd crusade part anyways.
[/list]

The bad
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Too few activities to do in game. The fact that you can only do 3 kinds of investigation was a bit annoying, though I found them fun through the entire game.. it still would have been nice to have a more involved and interesting system. Even a completely linear system would have been fine, you know, find a high point, get a lead from it, investigate it however you like and from that lead get ANOTHER lead and so on.. I honestly dont know what would be the perfect system, but I'm not a developer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

<LI>The combat system lacked polish. Most of the game you can get by simpley by guarding, waiting for an attack and countering... until you hit the last level where that kind of fighting gets you painfully killed over and over by a certain group of annoying templars. I quite literally didn't really get skilled at the combat system until that point, because I was forced to. The combat system should be a gradual thing, with challenges and milestones so that the player builds up skill through the game rather then being thrown into a hard fight towards the end that is fairly easy once you get some practice in... unfortunately there was no REASON to practice serious combat up until then because it was dead simple.

<LI>Where's my god damn crossbow??? Hell it's even featured in the rendered cutscene at the start of the game! I'm assuming it was replaced with throwing knives, but crossbows are so damn cool...

<LI>Here is the big one... you scifi'd it... WHY?? Assassins creed was marketed and advertised as a game set in the third crusades and was already going to be popular. Only a vauge hint of scifi entered later on and noone knew what it was. The scifi plot was nowhere near as interesting as the crusades one and I hate the look of the interfaces. And there was no reason for it, it added next to nothing to the game! Instead of a GPS, give Altair a map! He had to look at the places before they appeared anyways, have him mark the map himself. Need to explain dying not being permanent? Don't bother, it's a game, we know it's not real... we don't want a game where you get one life, it would suck, so we're fine with you breaking that little rule of life. Fast forwarding memories to skip boring travel time? Noones going to care if you just let us skip it anyway, and those who do are always given the option to do it manually. Worried we have a radar and those dont exist? Extend Altairs eagle eye ability to what it was described as long ago - intuition. He can thus use his intuition to know where things are. Or just add a radar anyways, it's a game!

My point here is this.. ask yourself: what did adding scifi to the game bring? Answer: nothing. It gave a tiny little subplot that was vaugely interesting, but I'd have been happy without it. Preferred it gone actually, as I wouldn't have to bother walking to a bed and back to get back to my game. And when you make AC2 and they're off finding the artifacts, again... do we need to see the scifi return so we can watch Altair find/hide/whatever he ends up doing the other artifacts? I doubt it.

Plus, the scifi type interface really annoyed me, I was looking forward to a cool looking interface with a third crusade type theme.

<LI>Add some difficulty levels! A lot of people, myself included, found the combat system too easy (well the templars kicked my arse till I figured out how to really USE the combat system.. once I did that though they died rather fast). I'm all for games having an easy mode for people who just want a little fun, but a lot of people want a real challenge, would be nice for one to be availible.

<LI>Multiple save slots, instead of forcing you to get rid of your old game if you want to start anew, would be nice.

<LI>The free roaming wasn't really taken advantage of, and you can't just reenter the game after completion to roam around and have fun. True you can just reload the last chapter and not go do it.. but still.

<LI>It would be really nice to be able to start your missions from any point you choose... for instance if I want to try and take down a target differently, I dont really want to have to go and redo all the investigations. Let people choose to start at each stage, either investigation or assassination.

<LI>Those collect the flag missions and random assassination in a few minutes missions got kind of old really fast. They were ok for the first couple, but then it was just the same stuff over and over.

<LI>Hire more voice actors! Every saved citizen had the same thing to say pretty much! Some variety please!
[/list]

I'll edit stuff in if I think of anything else, but that pretty much covers what I have to say.

From what I can tell by looking at all the dev diaries, released information etc etc about the game to date, you guys weren't finished. Please, I worked at an EB Games for the last 2 years and I have seen COUNTLESS games fail dismally because they were not finished. People all come and buy them because it looks so damn cool, then they take it back because it's not done and doesnt do what it said it would. Thankfully this didn't happen badly to AC, but a lot of people were expecting a lot more.

Take your time, release it when it's ready and everyone will thank you for it. Hell, another 5-6 months would have done WONDERS for this game.