PDA

View Full Version : Heads up new members! Know about Virtualpilots.fi

F19_Ob
03-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Hello new and old members.
I just wanted to inform and tip U about Virtualpilots.fi's History project wich includes articles and interviews with Finnish ww2 pilots. The site is in both English and Finnish.

The Finns flew among others ; bf109, brewster, glatiator, fiatG50 and we have these in the sim event the Hurricane was involved in smaller scale although the gladiator is the swedish variant wich also flew for the Finns.
------------------------

For the interested there are many interviews where u get insight in how it was to fly and fight in these planes and a fair ammount of tactical info that I dont think u can find anywhere else on the web.
Here is a link to the articles:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/

The latest work we got from these boys was the gathered info from several interviews and articles with bf109 aces.
It was presented on these board as: "Messerschmitt 109 - myths and facts "and had a link to the full article in english:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/

Sadly only a few gave any feedback on it although U cant find anything gathered like this on the web (hard work).
I write this because there are many new and old members who might not know about this project or understand its value, since these virtualpilots dont advertise or inform agressively.

If u want more info about their history project u can view it here:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/info/hist/

Pretty impressive to me, and has been a source of interest and further studies for several years now.

Thanks!

VW-IceFire
03-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Excellent! I think I stumbled onto this site to help with my Red Stars - Karelian Offensive campaign. When I return to that front and do a Finnish perspective campaign I'm sure I'll be going here.

Grendel-B
03-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Cheers,

Thanks for the nice words. Maybe I could shed a little light on the backgroudnds:

I started this project some years ago, when the Association did not yet exist at all. It begun in one of our annual summer meetings, Mosquito Meeting, which was arranged by our virtual squadron Icebreakers. Many our the guys had met the old vets earlier and tol dtales, that were not in any books or anywhere. Stories the vets had told in person, in private. I started to think about writing them up, made some notes etc. The squadron had good ties to Finnish Air Force and some guys knew their local vets, so I we met some old gents few times and I recorded what we'd been talking.

The uplifting and starting restoration of MT-218 (http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/mt-208/) was a major breakthrough, because it brought me and colonel Pokela, a renowmed Brewster / Messerschmitt ace, the chief Me 109 trainer of FiAF and wonderful gentleman, together discussing about the last flight of MT-218 and of course we talked about much else as well. As luck would permit, I'd moved to a new town and there was very active aviation guild with many veteran pilots as well. So in comparatively short time I had met mr. Pokela, and I had contact with the war pilot's guild chairman mr. Aho and they then introduced me to other war pilots - and I naturally had my recorder running always, writing things up later. We learned to know the vets and started inviting them for combined dinner/interview sessions that have been major success.

So things progressed, we "enlarged" the history project and brought it under the recently formed Finnish Virtual PIlots' Association. I also had gotten many people help me in the project, and to them goes many, many huge thanks. It is of course beneficial this kind of personal connection to the vets, but we wouldn't have all these articles on net without all those people helping us - chaps who transcribe the interview tapes and translate the articles I put out first in Finnish language.

It is really a nice project, as we all do it on our spare time, no payments, no monetary support from anyone and in Finland many do like what we're doing and help us at times when we need something. It's been most interesting to learn to know the vets themselves, seeing what kind of people they are and learning slightly what they have experienced. Young men, who spent their youthhood at war - and tried to continue studying while the war raged on and faced huge challenges after peace arrived. Where would one get his bread, feed your family, continue studies, get a profession and work? That's actually something that I feel strongest myself - most of the young guys no profession and could not get one during the war, so they were empty handed with no work, no training, havig not even finished school at worst case - and how they grabbed on life and struggled on. And the largest praise on this whole project has been their feedback, how the vets approve what we do, how the war pilots' association's chairman has hunted for people for us to interview etc. They've even commented, that they're glad to see there are young people of same spirit, carrying on their traditions, in our own peculiar way. And that's not what we have said or claimed, it's from the vets' mouth - so I think we've been heading on the right direction.

FiAW_Vaijy
03-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Lot of interesting stuff there indeed. Very important job done so far the old veterans are still alive. It's the last moment to collect this part of aviation history. Thanks Grendel.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif