PDA

View Full Version : "Play Track" button

Lowell-Holman
07-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I recently installed FB+AEP+PF 4.01 merged. In the menu is a button labled "Play track". Pushing the button opens up a list of about
60 tracks all of which are different. Double
left clicking on a track will play that track.
The track plays a very nice movie for a few minutes and then quits and then plays it over and over again. There must be more to this than each track playing a nice movie. What is the
purpose of this feature and how does it fit into
playing the simulation? Lowell

Abel29A
07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
When you have flown a mission you have the option to save a track from that mission so that you can watch the mission unfolding over and over through the play track button.

The tracks that come with the game are just there for your eintertainment.

FoolTrottel
07-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Nope, there's not much more to it than what you're describing.

It just plays the selected track, and after it's finished, it'll start playing that track all over again. (That's cause the 'Loop' switch is on by default, yuo can switch it off)

What's the use of it?
Well, you can allways watch the tracks that are present after a clean installation ... it's fun!

But, you can record your own tracks! Of all the missions you played.
Then watch them, and learn from them.

Beware, there's two types, the .trk and the .ntrk. The first one you create by saving the track at the end of a mission, the second one you need to activate the recording beforehand, ie just before action starts. You can assign keys to that action in 'Controls'.

The difference between the two is that .trk only records the mission parameters and your control inputs. The second one records much more.
(Problem here is that .trk will not work when recorded before a patch, and played back after a patch: most patches change flight model, thus changing reactions to control inputs ... you can get weird results, like you know you ligned up with the carrier, and the track shows you miss it, and perform a ditch two miles away from the deck...)

Hope this makes some sense...
Anyways... Have Fun!

Lowell-Holman
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Mr. Abel
Thanks for you response. So if I have it correct
the Play Track feature is only for viewing
what is already there and whatever I might add
when I save a mission that I have played. Does
the same thing apply if I play on line and is this
recorded in the online track verses the normal track? If I play offline or online does the play track record from all types of missions-
single,quick,multiplayer and full? Seems to me the manual could do a better job of explaining
this feature. Thanks Lowell

Bearcat99
07-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Not only that... and this is even more important..... .trks... are in quick missions.... and can be recorded after the mission. You cant do that online. Online you MUST start the recording using the button you assign in the controls menu to toggle the record function on and off... either just as the mission starts (to get the whole thing) or some time before the mission ends.

Lowell-Holman
07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Thank you all for your responses. If it wasn't
for forums like this many of us would remain in
the dark about game features that aren't
explained in the manuals or if they are they fall short of what is explained here.
Thanks, Lowell

Bearcat99
07-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Your questions will multiply.... this sim is very layered.....

Chuck_Older
07-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Lowell-Holman: There must be more to this than each track playing a nice movie. What is the
purpose of this feature and how does it fit into
playing the simulation? Lowell

I have made a few tracks, editted for viewpoint and with my own text, as movies in a campaign. It's time consuming but fun

When you start play, the intro movie runs. After about a dozen missions, your base moves, and you get an interlude movie. Later on, you relocate a second time and you get a second interlude movie. At the campaign's conclusion, you get a final ending movie

Playing the track through the sim is an absolute must for this stuff- you don't want to have to play all the missions to see how your movies came out. So it's a very convenient feature for those of us who make use of tracks as movies in static campaigns http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DmdSeeker
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
And just to make sure the obvious is covered:

Usage 1; movie making. If you look around this board; and more specificaly the movie makers forum; you'll se there's a lot of IL-2 films to download. These are generaly *.wmv files; but they were all generated from tracks. Some one has flown and recorded these flights; which are then clipped; edited and combined to make a movie; but it all starts with tracks.

Usage 2: (and the primary usage; truth be told) Learning. If you make a habit of recording your flights; on line or off line; then you have the ability to go back and review your performance; and see where you went wrong. This is particularly usefull if you can exchange tracks with some one who can thereby mail you a flying lesson http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif For instance; one of the most common merge techniques is a high energy immelman turn. It's a simple move; but as in all things; it's easier to show it than it is to explain it.

You'll find a track download area on the main IL-2 website. Some of them are just guys showing off; but others are more usefull in a tutorial sense; such as carrier landings etc.