PDA

View Full Version : PF or IL2?

robbertmd
11-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi, im new to the forums,

and i want to know something: What would i buy? IL-2 Sturmovik+ exp p, or PF--> and i want to know if the AI of PF is as bad as some sites say (gamespot) or is it fixed with a patch

thx

Cossack13
11-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I'd recommend finding the Forgotten Battles Gold Pack, which would give you FB and the Aces Expansion Pack. If you decide you like the game, then get Pacific Fighters and do a combined install. This should give you the biggest "bang" for your buck.

TAW_BlueDevil
11-25-2004, 10:37 AM
I agree with Cossack. Also ignore the reviews as msot are doen by people with ZERO clue about the Genre and due to that they slam it. Anyone with any Knowledge about the game adn the series finds that most of their reviews are poor to horrible regarding any accuracy at best.

Gato__Loco
11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Yes, get the FB Gold Pack and try it. You'll be hooked, this is a great game. Be sure to get the latest patches. You'll need AEP_201 and AEP_204.
The AI is actually pretty good and improving with each patch. Some of the reviews in Gamespot and other sites are pretty off the mark.

Welcome!

Gato

robbertmd
11-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Thx,

ill give the Il-2 gold pack a try, but ive heard something that you cant buy the gold pack in belgium, true?

NorrisMcWhirter
11-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Get FB+AEP first, as suggested; there is far more scope.

If you love it, PF is worthwhile but only after patching to v3.01 or later; those reviews were written at v3.00 and they were not far off the mark.

Cheers,
Norris

robbertmd
11-25-2004, 11:52 AM
1 more question, is the pack a stand alone game, ore do i need IL-2 the original?

MG08x15
11-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Goldpack, which is IL2-Forgotten Battles with ACE, is completely stand alone. IL2-Forgotten Battles is a new game and not an add-on to the original IL2-Sturmovik.

OneTinSoldier77
11-25-2004, 12:07 PM
The IL-2: Forgotten Battles + Aces Expansion Pack(IL-2 + AEP) is all you would need. You would not need the old original IL-2: Sturmovik.

Cheers

Phil_C
11-25-2004, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some of the reviews in Gamespot and other sites are pretty off the mark <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

screw the reviews, if you like it who cares right? i mean after all these reviews said that Jurassic Park wouldnt make money...

and these reviews also said that Strike Fighters P1 was too limited but then again the 3rd party addons i have downloaded take up 2 CD's

carguy_
11-25-2004, 01:29 PM
About the reviewers I couldn`t care less what they think.I like the game very much even with already fixed bugs.

One reviewer made big maps a con,two paragraphs he made it a pro.The other thought lowering gear didn`t work...little did he know it is lowered manually.

Take the game,try it out,you can always take it back if you don`t like it.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi,

Without wanting to stir this up again but, for balance, those same reviews also pointed out that aircraft were missing (they were) and that some FMs were dodgy (there has been changes already) and that they expected the game to get better through the support of 1C (already the case).

Of course, if you like flight sims I dare say you will love FB/PF - make your own mind up - you can prolly pick up FB for far less than CFS2 these days (maybe even CFS3) and I know which I'd rather have.

Cheers,
Norris

mortoma
11-25-2004, 02:29 PM
To hell with reviewers!! Led Zeppelin got embarassing reviews right after their first album and they went on to be one of the biggest rock bands ever. And some of the bands with the best reviews went on to be one-hit wonders, and that's if they were lucky.

Bearcat99
11-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi robbertmd and welcome to the community!! As you have probably guessed by now Forgotten Battles GOLD is a must. If I were you I wouldnt take any stock in anything the reviewers said because 1)Most of them are gamers... not simmers.. and there is a huge difference. Gamers want a game.... simmers want realism,visually,aerodynamically..... and most simmers will take thw time to learn the ins and outs of a sim where as most gamers are more instant gratification types. If they cant do it well in 2 days then they say its not good.... and 2)As far as WW2 flight sims go there is nothing on the market or on the immediate horizon that I am aware of that even comes close to what you get with Forgotten Battles. Even BoB (Battle ofBritain.. the next 1C project.. due 2006) is a ways off. Take my word for it. If you are into flight sims.... COMBAT sims..... you will like this one.

Mjollnir111675
11-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Guess I am a hybrid gamer/simmer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
Sometimes I like the "Whole 9" and sometimes I just want a quick fix!!
Darn it "Why cant we all just get along?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Oh yeah BTW the taters are dun!!

Thats D-U-N= DUN!!!

Athosd
11-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Hybrid here too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. The IL2 and Combat Mission series are the constants on my rig - FPS and RPGs come and go.
The IL2 series in particularly is a key factor in any system upgrade.
Playing Half-Life 2 to death right now - but still putting in stick time on FB+AEP+PF. Consequently racking up some serious 'sleep debt'http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

IMHO the biggest issue confronting new IL2 series players is the somewhat limited information supplied with the game. Most of what's needed can certainly be found in the manual and readme - however there are quite a lot of things that really must be hunted for.

Ultimately its the community that provide the most information about this product - and the "Sturmovik Essentails" link under Bearcat99's sig is a good place to start.

Definitely try the Gold Pack first - then if you get hooked PF will be a must have.

Salute

Athos

Mjollnir111675
11-25-2004, 06:18 PM
I have 3 dedicated games on me hd which will come with me as long as compatibility allows:

1)Cod:Uo ; fer me infantry fix albeit "arcade" reallt love it fer the atmosphere http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

2)Panzer Elite: fer me armor immersion(well that is till Oleg masters the skies and wants to roll on sum tracks!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

3) FB/AEP/PF :fer me flight sim immersion

oh and 4) B-17 2 (yeah I know its old as hades but I really do like the engine management in that game especially start up and i love the bombsight!! ooh hoo hoo and the manual and the ref card that has the pix of the cockpits on it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

oh and be sure that S.H.iii will def be hangin with the lot!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

VW-IceFire
11-25-2004, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robbertmd:
Hi, im new to the forums,

and i want to know something: What would i buy? IL-2 Sturmovik+ exp p, or PF--> and i want to know if the AI of PF is as bad as some sites say (gamespot) or is it fixed with a patch

thx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The review sites confuse AI with problems in dynamically generated missions. The AI follow orders, generally if you tell them to fly into a mountain they will do it. Its like any game AI ever invented...they can do so much and then they just follow orders and do what they are supposed to do...regardless of personal cost.

The AI performs just fine. Its not fantastic, its not human yet, but sometimes its shockingly close and surprisingly challenging in the right situation. Playing online is still more challenging but the AI offline does its job. Reviewers and a few outspoken critics should be taken with a few grains of salt.

If you want the whole experience I would suggest buying:

1) The Forgotten Battles Gold Package (FB+AEP)
2) Pacific Fighters

Install FB Gold first and then PF. Then you'll have 170+ flyable WWII fighters with something like 20-30 maps, a large community, and alot of fun to be had. Don't let the naysayers get you down...this is the best WWII sim that can appeal to a fairly wide audience and be historical and challenging at the same time.

robbertmd
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Hi robbertmd and welcome to the community!! As you have probably guessed by now Forgotten Battles GOLD is a must. If I were you I wouldnt take any stock in anything the reviewers said because 1)Most of them are gamers... not simmers.. and there is a huge difference. Gamers want a game.... simmers want realism,visually,aerodynamically..... and most simmers will take thw time to learn the ins and outs of a sim where as most gamers are more instant gratification types. If they cant do it well in 2 days then they say its not good.... and 2)As far as WW2 flight sims go there is nothing on the market or on the immediate horizon that I am aware of that even comes close to what you get with Forgotten Battles. Even BoB (Battle ofBritain.. the next 1C project.. due 2006) is a ways off. Take my word for it. If you are into flight sims.... COMBAT sims..... you will like this one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx for the tips, now im 100 % sure i will buy this game (forgotten battles gold) just need to find a store where i can buy it... Only problem is, need some money, just baught my new pc and..., but i will alsmost sure have it in 1 month,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
The review sites confuse AI with problems in dynamically generated missions. The AI follow orders, generally if you tell them to fly into a mountain they will do it. Its like any game AI ever invented... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

also thx for the info about AI and the game
i have CFS3, but never found it that good, played IL-2 for 1 week and loved it so...

Cheers