PDA

View Full Version : Info on US/USSR WWII air combats ?

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Many of us have already tried these on one side or another while playing.

But there really were some clashes during WWII (I think these were, AFAIK, always the consequences of indentification mistakes).

There's the well known combat of Kozhedub vs. Mustangs over Germany : while flying cover for US bombers he was attacked by two unditified planes, he engaged and took both down. Remarking the US markings only as the second one came down, he feared being sanctioned but was finally covered by his CO as one of the US pilots bailed out over soviet lines and told them he had been shot down by red-nosed Fw-190s (the 178GvIAP La-7s had a red nose).

I also heard about a second one in which P-38s attacked soviet troops in Yugoslavia, mistaking them for germans, and were engaged by the Yaks flying cover. But for this one, I don't know the outcome of the fight.

Does anyone has other info on such incidents ?

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Many of us have already tried these on one side or another while playing.

But there really were some clashes during WWII (I think these were, AFAIK, always the consequences of indentification mistakes).

There's the well known combat of Kozhedub vs. Mustangs over Germany : while flying cover for US bombers he was attacked by two unditified planes, he engaged and took both down. Remarking the US markings only as the second one came down, he feared being sanctioned but was finally covered by his CO as one of the US pilots bailed out over soviet lines and told them he had been shot down by red-nosed Fw-190s (the 178GvIAP La-7s had a red nose).

I also heard about a second one in which P-38s attacked soviet troops in Yugoslavia, mistaking them for germans, and were engaged by the Yaks flying cover. But for this one, I don't know the outcome of the fight.

Does anyone has other info on such incidents ?

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Yes, incident in Yougoslavia had been discussed on this forum. Take a look here:

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zplhg&tpage=1

AKA_Bogun

---------------
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

- Tom Clancy

---------------
Ilsa: "That was the day the Germans marched into Paris."
Rick: "Not an easy day to forget. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue."
Ilsa: "Yes. I have put that dress away. When the Germans march out, I'll wear that dress again."

- Casablanca, 1942

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Bogun wrote:
- Yes, incident in Yougoslavia had been discussed on
- this forum.
-

Thanks, that was an interresting read.

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 11:18 PM
~very~ interesting read. Thanks.

Found this buried in there...