PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the ATI X1900 XT

Dingzoom
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I just got a new Gigabyte motherboard GA 8I945PL-G which requires the PCI Express X16 graphics card.

My X800 Pro is AGP so I need a new card.

I tried the X1600 Pro but it is a worse "bottleneck" then my X800 Pro was.

hunters shop has the X1900XT & I am just wondering if it is really a good card for getting the most out of IL2 when lots & lots of stuff is going on. I am tired of the slide show effect when things are really hot & heavy.

any actual experience feed back would be much appreciated..

Thanks

Darth_Snoopy
07-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't have this card, but check out this review. From what I read, the CPU is more important than the video card for this game.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-x1900xt_14.html

x__CRASH__x
07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Hunter ran a pair of them on a "Crossfire" system he built. He liked them very much.

-HH-Quazi
07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Imho, the X1900XT and its' little brother, the X1800XT are a bit overkill for this sim as the graphics engine in this game is 5 yrs old and these cards are built to take advantage of some of the newer titles of games using better lighting and shader effects. The one item that these cards do well for this sim is to provide PS3 which allows one to use water=2 for m8s with ATI cards. But I have a m8 that uses a 9800XT and sets his water to =1 and I can't hardly tell the diference at all. Personally, I am running a 7800 GS CO Superclock with PS3 ability. Setting it to water=3 for nVidia cards to get the same effect as the PS3 enabled cards for ATI, like the X1900XT, I can hardly see any difference in the way the water is renderered.

Imo, the X850XT in PCI-E gives nearly all and handles nearly all the graphics engine in this sim can give. And for $135 to $180, it sure beats the X1900XT is price.

Now, with this said, what getting an X1900XT and running it for this sim now does for anyone is to put them in a posotion to have a decent card to take advantage of the graphics of BoB when it is released. The X1900XT will be way ahead of the X850XT for use with BoB. And if you already have one, then this is one less thing that will be holding one back to running BoB when it becomes available.

But look at it this way, if you got an X850XT now for less than $150, the X1900XT may be had for $280 or less by the time BoB is released, and the X850XT, since it is in PCI-E, will still have a resale value. Now this is just specualtion. But if you have the $380 plus $$$ to spend on an X1900XT now, buying the X850XT may save you $200 or more now, and if there's anything else you may like to spend that on for upgrades, you could do that now.

And don't let ATI's card deisgnations confuse you. Yes, the X850XT is a better card than the X1600 is.

Dingzoom
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah HH...
I am thinking ahead to BoB when it comes out, & that is why I really don't want to invest in the X850XT.
I have the P4 3.2 Ghz cpu & two new sticks of 512 PC 5200 with a cas 2.0. I can always buy 2 more sticks later if I really need them..

It seems to be the Graphs card that is holding things back though. I just went through the BoB Hurricane campaign & fgound that a couple of the scenarios with lots & lots of action I couldn't even play... just a slide show.
If I put everything on Performance it would play, but still had lag/stutters.
decisions decisions...dang me for a Il2 junkie.. No brains...lol..

LT.INSTG8R
07-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Im really happy with my X1900XTX Im running the game pretty much maxed 6xAA 16xAF(IL2 Ansio) Water=2 @1280x1024 and averaging 70s in offline PE-2 campaign(the naval one) so thats mostly over water.I have just ordered a Samsung 204B 20" LCD so thats gonna bump me up to 1600x1200 so I expect my avg. to come down some but I have to say IL2 has never looked better or played better. I intend on going Crossfire with it soon anyway to totally BoB-proof this rig

Dingzoom
07-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Hmm..,
So, Do you guys think it would be better in the long run to stick with an x1900xt rather then the x1800xt...
I just don't have the $$$ to git the 1900xtx & don't weant to go the 850 toute when it really won't fit the bill later on.

WOLFMondo
07-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:

Imo, the X850XT in PCI-E gives nearly all and handles nearly all the graphics engine in this sim can give. And for $135 to $180, it sure beats the X1900XT is price.

I'm using an X800XT PCIe and it copes with this sim at maximum settings, FSAAX4 and AFX8 with absolute ease, I can get about 90 fighters on screen before it starts to slow down enough that its a problem too. In fact it will handle every game I've played with settings maxed out or almost maxed out with a little FSAA either controlled by the game or the card software.

Still impressed with it after 19 months after I bought it. The 850 is probably even better.

Dingzoom
07-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Opps, I forgot to ask...
I am a bit concerened about the heat situation.
I have fans galore & things are cool right now, but don't know if it will be cool enough with these cards.

I also only have a 480 watt power supply & don't really know how much another fan would pull that down.

now I have two fans in the power supply, two blowing out the back, one on the graphs card.
I have a very large tower case.

LT.INSTG8R
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
AH the heat... well I wont lie the card does get pretty toasty(50C idle close to 90C under load) but its cooling solution, while noisy is effective and vents all that hot air outside the case anyway . If your PSU is a high quality one with lots of Amps on the 12V rail it should handle an X1900, which I will also mention my intent WAS to go with an X1900XT becuase I intend to Crossfire down the road which will effectively bring my XTX down to XT speeds anyway but it was a good deal on the XTX so I went for it

-HH-Quazi
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Dingzoom:
Yeah HH...
I am thinking ahead to BoB when it comes out, & that is why I really don't want to invest in the X850XT.
I have the P4 3.2 Ghz cpu & two new sticks of 512 PC 5200 with a cas 2.0. I can always buy 2 more sticks later if I really need them..

It seems to be the Graphs card that is holding things back though. I just went through the BoB Hurricane campaign & fgound that a couple of the scenarios with lots & lots of action I couldn't even play... just a slide show.
If I put everything on Performance it would play, but still had lag/stutters.
decisions decisions...dang me for a Il2 junkie.. No brains...lol..

With enough action and in Perfect Landscape with high eye candy settings, there isn't a card out there that wouldn't put on a bit of a slide show under those conditions m8. If getting away from slide show action under those conditons and settings is what you are after to get rid of with the X1900XT or XTX, I am afraid you will be sadly disappointed.

As a matter of fact, more cpu speed does more to help prevent that than graphics card capabilities imo. I know some here will disagree with that statement, but it is true. When you increase your cpu speed either by overclocking or upgrading, you will get to a point where you find that your BD avg fr's aren't increasing, yet you notice your minimum fr's increasing. It is then you may realize exactly how important cpu speed is to preventing slide shows. Because when you can get your minimum fr's in the BD track to stay around and above 30fps, slide shows start becoming a thing of the past.

That is why I believe, besides the ability of PS3, the older cards like the X850XT & XTPE and the 6800GT & Ultra are all this game needs. Going from an X850XT to a 7800GS CO Superclock using the same settings didn't garner me any increase in my BD track scores in either the average fr's or the minimum fr's. One would think it should have. It is a better\faster, more technologically advanced card than the X850XT, yet I didn't see any difference in the BD track numbers. And I am fixing to go to a 7900GT KO Superclock and I can just about guarantee that I will be seeing the same BD track bench numbers as the X850XT was giving me. This is what tells me that the X850XT and cards of the generation is all this game needs to see all this game has to offer with the Perfect Landscape setting and higher eye candy settings.

Yet when I oc my FX-53 to 2.6GHz by raising the multiplier and leaving the HTT stock, my minimum fr's jump from 24fps to 28fps. I haven't been able to get the Clawhammer core of my FX-53 past 2.6GHz yet. But I have a feeling if I could get it to 2.7GHz and stable, my minimum fr's would never go below 30fps in the BD track. Slide shows be gone, HEHE

All of the above is in reference to this sim only. Getting an X1900XT or XTX for later down the road is a good thing. Just remember, as later gets down the road, the cheaper the X1900's are going to get. I have decide to go PCI-E while the resale value of the AGP mobo\card is still viable. And the reason I have decide on the 7900GT KO Superclock is because the 7800GS CO Superclock I have now has a higher retail value, go fighure. So I can sell it and get the faster card at very little extra expense. But I, like you, am looking down the road past this sim. Not necessarily to BoB. But having the option to go SLI won't be a bad thing when BoB is released. It may even be helpful, eh? HEHE

Dingzoom
07-07-2006, 05:59 PM
I can see that I have a lot of research yet to do...lol

LT's comment of temps as high as 90c bother me. I wonder just how long the card would function under that high of a temperature before it stopped?

I have the x1600pro 256MB now and I have to turn down the settings to the point of ...UGLEEEY" to play some scenarios. that does take the fun out of it.

I haven't loaded up brothers in arms or Halo yet since my new XP Home reformat/install so I can't comment on them yet.

I quit doing the BD track fps with Fraps when they changed/ruined BD about two years ago.
I have forgotten...How many seconds do you use for a good fps minimum check?

I have found (newegg) a couple of good (price wise) buys for the x1800xt 256mb and an Asus x1900xt card. The x1900XT @ $355 is a bit more then I wanted to do now, but rather then pay less for in interm perhaps it would better to "go for broke"...lol
I guess the main concern now is warranty and just how badly this heat may effect the cards longevity.

LT.INSTG8R
07-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Ding scarily enough those are normal temps and it technically rated up to 120C. As for X1900s dont go on brand just go on price they are all the same right now following reference design standard. I will always reccomend Sapphire as they are ATI's largest AIB partner and make most of the cards anyway(including ATI's own branded cards)My Sapphire comes up as "Built by ATI" as opposed to "Powered by ATI" which some of the "lower" brands would. But the bottom line is all the X1800 and 1900s are all pretty much the same and just go for the cheapest one

papotex
07-08-2006, 12:16 AM
what I wonder is if I'll be able to run BOB
well with my current system . I mean because this PC costme so much that i dont think im gona upgrade for BOB.

I think i have a nice system and i find hard to believe BOB will not run well in this system
at least in medium settings.

my system specs:

P4 3.4EE,
2 gigs ram dual channel enabled
sound blaster1, radeon X850 XT PE with 256 video RAM-the AGP kind

FoolTrottel
07-08-2006, 01:33 AM
P4 3.4EE,
2 gigs ram dual channel enabled
sound blaster1, radeon X850 XT PE with 256 video RAM-the AGP kind

Me thinks if ya can't run BOB well on thà t rig, then either BOB will not be selling well, or lots and lots of ppl will have to buy lots and lots of new hardware ...

(http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Replace that Sound Blaster1 if it's not an Audigy... and do it now...)

Willey
07-08-2006, 04:21 AM
I've got a X1800XT and it's a blast. But now I could get the X1900XT for the same bucks. You'd be good to get that one, it has 3 times the shader units the X1800XT has. And it's a lot easier to get a X1900 CF card.

mazexx
07-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Wait for the R600 instead (ATI:s next flagship)... It will be here in October or something and it will have Dx10 support etc. More of a solution for the future I'd say.

That's at least what I'm waiting for. A Conroe with an R600 card.

/Mazex

Treetop64
07-08-2006, 04:59 AM
I've got the X1900XTX and I couldn't be any happier. Everything is maxed out in PF, including "effects=2" and gameplay is very smooth, even while using DCG with full squad strength and heavy air units.

However, I got the X1900XTX to handle some of the more graphics-intensive games, since the card is a bit of overkill just for PF itself.

Treetop64
07-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by mazexx:
Wait for the R600 instead (ATI:s next flagship)... It will be here in October or something and it will have Dx10 support etc. More of a solution for the future I'd say.

/Mazex

I wonder if the Conroe will be compatable with the 945P chipset, or will I have to get a new board to mount it on...

MO_JOJO
07-08-2006, 05:26 AM
What's the best card out there under $200-US? My new PC came with an X600-256mb, but I know that's just barely getting me by. I'm not partial to NVidia or ATI, so recommend the best for < $200.

Also, on the subject of CPU speed...are the new Pentium-D processors making much of a difference in the 3Ghz range, compared to the Pentium 4's in the same range? Or am I better off going with the Pentium HT with a higher CPU speed like the 640HT (3.2Ghz) or 650HT (3.4Ghz)?

slipBall
07-08-2006, 05:36 AM

/Mazex

The R600 will be Vista dependent, I'm not sure when Vista will be released. They keep pushing back release date

mazexx
07-08-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mazexx:

/Mazex

The R600 will be Vista dependent, I'm not sure when Vista will be released. They keep pushing back release date </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, are you really sure that it will be dependent on Vista? As Vista will be backwards compatible with Dx9 I don't get it why they would not be able to make native Dx9 XP drivers for it? They would loose a very large market as not to many will make the Vista leap early unless buying a new rig. I've been running a lot of the beta builds and they are very shaky.

Regarding the release of Vista the latest tale from Redmond is early 2007 afaik...

/Mazex

slipBall
07-08-2006, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mazexx:

/Mazex

The R600 will be Vista dependent, I'm not sure when Vista will be released. They keep pushing back release date </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, are you really sure that it will be dependent on Vista? As Vista will be backwards compatible with Dx9 I don't get it why they would not be able to make native Dx9 XP drivers for it? They would loose a very large market as not to many will make the Vista leap early unless buying a new rig. I've been running a lot of the beta builds and they are very shaky.

Regarding the release of Vista the latest tale from Redmond is early 2007 afaik...

/Mazex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dependent was a poor word choice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. To take advantage of direct X10 in R600, we will need vista

Dingzoom
07-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, I finely made my choice & now I'll just learn to live with it...lol...

I want to thank LT.INSTG8R and HH_Quazi for you very informative input... Thanks ...

I Got the Sapphire x1900XT because It was the closest to what I could afford.. I'll have to work over time from now to Christmas to pay for the dang thing, but I think it will be worth it...lol

It should be here some time the end of next week...

LT.INSTG8R
07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
You will not be dissapointed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif its a fantastic card, right now I dont have a game on my HDD that I cant play at Maxed settings(Including Ubi's latest PC killer GRAW)

-HH-Quazi
07-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Yea, even though I am on the nVidia road at the moment, I am sure the card rocks. Congrats m8! And as LT. INSTG8R says, you won't be disappointed. I know the expense of such cards. I have bought a few myself. I'd say still being on an AGP board has probably saved me some $$$ because I don't think I could help myself. A squadm8 built his wife a computer to play this sim. A DFI Ultra-D, an X2 4400, an Audigy 2, 1GB of OCZ memory, and an X1900XT. He is running an Intel clocked to 3.2GHz and an X800XL. He says the difference is really all that and a bag of chips. Once again m8, CONGRATS!!

LT.INSTG8R
07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah a little off topic, Qauzi why the switch to "The Green Team"? I thought you knew better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

VW-IceFire
07-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:

/Mazex

Dependent was a poor word choice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. To take advantage of direct X10 in R600, we will need vista </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True...however ATI came right out and said that while DX10 support will be in, they are focused on delivering a blazing fast DX9 implementation anyways. So its not likely to be purely optimized for DX10. I'll be watching the R600 closely...might be my next card.

ytareh
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Dingzoom ...you know you need a BIG psu for that baby.Some guys here suggest getting by on mid budget ones eg Hyper R580W whereas I have also read very scarily that you may need a massive SINGLE rail of current which is only provided by a tiny number of PSUs -the most common on the market being the OCZ 580W (Powerstream?)but NOT 600W(more rails with less current per rail)
I bought an X1900XTX (the XT can be easily overclocked to XTX speeds...)in February and wasted months trying to get it to run stable -tried 4 or 5 different 600W + psu,s -returned motherboard and then X1900XTX -only got refund for card last week!!!
Dont regret your choice as there is always something newer and better just around the corner so you may as well take the plunge.
Hope all goes well-love to hear....

LT.INSTG8R
07-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

/Mazex

Dependent was a poor word choice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. To take advantage of direct X10 in R600, we will need vista </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True...however ATI came right out and said that while DX10 support will be in, they are focused on delivering a blazing fast DX9 implementation anyways. So its not likely to be purely optimized for DX10. I'll be watching the R600 closely...might be my next card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AH but ATI's current architecture is already closer to Unified Shader Architecture that DX10 will be based around while NV is still stuck in the more pipes = more power so in that respect ATI is already up in the game

Dingzoom
07-09-2006, 07:39 PM
My thoughts esxactly in reference to the psu...
I have an ATX 480 now & if it won't do the trick then I'll go for the best...lol..
dang..I'm hooked for sure..lol..

-HH-Quazi
07-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by LT.INSTG8R:
Yeah a little off topic, Qauzi why the switch to "The Green Team"? I thought you knew better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Eh...I had already experienced the best ATI has to offer in AGP. Thought I would see if the newer technology in the eVga 7800GS CO Superclock in AGP was all it had been talked up to being. What I have found is that for this sim, it isn't. No difference compared to the X850XT in performance, and the IQ isn't quite as crisp. Nevertheless, I am going to stick with it for the time being.

I do miss my X850XT though. The drivers are alot less complicated to setup with ATI. Just so many different optimizations one has to figure out with nVidia. PS3 isn't worth the trouble, which was the main reason I wanted to give nVidia a shot. I still use water=2, HEHE

And to beat it all, it seems that SLI is a very stable platform for a dual card configuration. So I am going PCI-E with a DFI LanParty Nforce4 SLI-DR and an eVga 7900GT KO Superclock. Seeing as my current card has a higher resale value than the 7900 I just mentioned costs, I can go PCI-E at no extra costs for my card. My MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum still has a great following in the AGP crowd and has a decent resale value, and with a bit of change that I have saved since late April when I got the 7800GS, the whole upgrade to PCI-E isn't going to dip into my current finances.

I could have went AM2 at a minimal expense by selling the mobo, cpu, gpu, and memory that I have and replacing it all with an AM2 configuration. But after speaking with Joe @ Magnum-PC, I didn't thik it would be worth the headache and down time. The only thing I would really like to have in the AM2 configuration is the new nForce 590 chipset, offering a full 16x lanes of traffic to both cards in an SLI setup.

But I figure with what I am going to, my upgrade path will be widened a bit with the option of getting a second card down the road. And with eVga's step-up program, I have three months to step-up to a better card by just paying the difference in retail prices. Hopefully, the release of the 7950 will drive the prices down on the 512Mb 7900GTX's so that it may be feasible for me to do that.

But all in all, I am still ATI at the core. If they had offered a card to compete with the 7900GT KO Superclock, I would have went with it a forgo the thought of a SLI setup later down the road. But the only card they offer in the same price range as the 7900 is the X1900GT. And from all the reading I have done between the two, head to head in several benchmark performance reviews (and there has been alot of reading), the X1900GT can compete with it. One reason this may be is because the particular 7900 I am getting is actually using the 7900GTX's gpu and is on a 7900GTX's PCB.

Anyway, I may be using nVidia, but I still bleed ATI red. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Heavy_Weather
07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
the new dual-core chips are gonna be the way to go it seems. they're getting FSB speeds of up to 2000mhz, its the FSB that really matters the most, any chipset with a low FSB will choke out or bottleneck just about all the other hardware.

MO_JOJO
07-14-2006, 01:51 AM
I see some great comments about the X850XT. How does it compare to the X850 Cross-Fire Edition, or the X850XT Platinum Edition - what are the differences?

Would you say this is the best "bang for your buck" card under $200?