PDA

View Full Version : Reason behind no replaying missions in AC2- official answer

NeonXXV
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
The team couldn't make it in time, as stated in an article on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5431098/a-20...g-assassins-creed-ii (http://kotaku.com/5431098/a-2009-view-from-the-top-one-mans-year-making-assassins-creed-ii)

There was a stress, though, in the middle portion of the year. That's when it was clear that some planned parts of the game would have to be cut. In order to meet a November release date, they'd have to go. One thing removed was the ability to replay any mission in the game. The team didn't think they could test it successfully ("Eventually maybe we'll come out with some way to do it somehow," Desilets noted).

The other cut, the one many Assassin's Creed II players have figured out by now, was content for which development would be backburnered and later re-prioritized and issued as the game's forthcoming January and February downloadable content. These would be the game's marked but missing 12th and 13th chapters, more or less. "I felt that, 'Okay, there were too many things to do and to finish.' So we said, 'Ok, let's take a portion of the game that was planned and we'll give it in DLC.' We'll remove some stress to the team while giving more to fans and people who like Assassin's Creed." Desilets liked the idea of giving the game added life and content beyond its initial release, saying it's something that he regrets not offering for Assassin's Creed — "I feel like we left people alone afterwards." —and given how big the game was and how it had gotten bigger during development, he didn't think most players would feel shortchanged. "I think we gave them so much content that they cannot say that we owe them, that we didn't give them a lot for their 60 bucks."

Hero11N7
12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Seems like we may get replaying missions as DLC, which is a good thing.

AssassinJF13
12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
ya that will be nice.

Im confused, 12th and 13th chapters? They are going to extend the game through a download?

I agree, i got my 60 bucks worth http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
But you always like to see a game go longer and have more content.

sugarbear0417
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't disagree that we didn't get our money's worth with ACII but the comments made give me a bad aftertaste.
Sure DLC is nice and "should" provide additional game play etc but intentionally leaving it out long before the release date ("so we can provide DLC") I find questionable to say the least.
In the end the customer has paid 60 dollars (or 60 euro's which equals around 85 dollars) for an unfinished product.

RobL92123
12-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Ohhhh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
That explains so much.

I suppose I'm glad the devs decided to hold back the sequences. I wouldn't have wanted AC2 delayed or rushed.

I bet the missing sequences will be added into the pc version for release, and hopefully the mission replaying as well.

Btw nice find Neon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

kingbren08
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sugarbear0417:
60 dollars (or 60 euro's which equals around 85 dollars) games cost around 45 euro, in Ireland at least

bokeef04
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sugarbear0417:
I don't disagree that we didn't get our money's worth with ACII but the comments made give me a bad aftertaste.
Sure DLC is nice and "should" provide additional game play etc but intentionally leaving it out long before the release date ("so we can provide DLC") I find questionable to say the least.
In the end the customer has paid 60 dollars (or 60 euro's which equals around 85 dollars) for an unfinished product.

you misunderstood what Patrice said, he didn't remove them just to have DLC, he removed them due to not being able to finish them in time, would you rather they still be included but incomplete or buggy?

i have no problem with what they have done personally as it hasn't hurt the games story, and isn't essential to getting 100% in the game

cowboyu72
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
So i take it that the new information that will e able to be downloaded will include the southern part of Florence and is unattainable?

POPersiaT2T
12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
It seems to me that Ubi release those contents as DLC in order to milk money from fans.

senile old coot
12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by POPersiaT2T:
It seems to me that Ubi release those contents as DLC in order to milk money from fans.

Either way it is our choice as to whether we want to be ''milked'' (the same applys to complaints regarding the extra content in the limited edition versions), particularly as the game remains great in absense of sequence 12 and 13 anyway. I for one will be getting my dirteh great udders (well they're actually fairly small tbh) out in january.

Assassin_M
12-23-2009, 02:40 AM
I dont really get u people ur angry because u bought an " Incomplete" Game for 60 Dollars ????
well i bought mine for 600 pounds which i think equals 120 Dollars but im darn right Content and about the milking money from fans thing, if u havent noticed the DlC cost 4 and 5 Dollars respectively... some milking, Im sorry my Comments seem Rude but thats how i feel and i believe we owe Ubisoft for such a great Game and to all of u people talking here like its something easy to make a video game, Surely u will come to Understand how hard it is to Create a video game and how long it takes, I myself have

Fenro
12-23-2009, 03:12 AM
I think its great that they decided to keep the 2 chapters to be released later.

Because i finished the game with 100% synch + the addittional things that wherent required for it aka 330 treasures and hidden areas in the assassin tombs.

Now i find my game collecting dust in the shelf..

at least DLC´s give me a reason to pick this game up twice more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

as a side note though, people that complain about thease DLC packs are weird indeed, seariously its rated for 18y olds, and by then you should have a working place and 6,00$-8,00$ should mean jack **** to you.. seariously i bet the people complaining about this are mostly those kids who have to beg their parents to charge their Xbox/PSN accounts. Or extremely cheap regarding their money issues.

RobL92123
12-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by cowboyu72:
So i take it that the new information that will e able to be downloaded will include the southern part of Florence and is unattainable?

Yes. The 2nd DLC - "Bonfire of the Vanities" (out Feb 2010), will unlock the south district of Florence.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12...ssing-chapters-adds/ (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/16/assassins-creed-2-dlc-detailed-fills-in-missing-chapters-adds/)

the amolang
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM
oh please. now i really want this. some of the targets had AMAZING missions...

CRUDFACE
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Technically, this is more along the lines of filling in the gaps of in the game. Along with the fact that I'm paying extra for sequences that should have already been included is a little over the top to me. But if they would have waited and done the full 100 percent, I would already have the two as part of the original story.

As a side note to make me feel a little better (lol, of course) at least it allows them to add way more stuff into the missing two parts and allow us to do more things...like the new acrobatic move and ummm...whatever else they decided to put in there.

Hassan-Sabbah
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I think the complaints that are coming can be atributed to human psychological issues.

If Ubi had never mentioned that the DLC was missing memories, no one would have a problem with it...It would be EXTRA and everyone would be singing songs of glee! Happy day! But, because they are labeling the DLC as missing sequences, "It should have been in the game to begin with."

Sorry, but the devs decide what should be in the game...and they thought it did not.

I did not read that article, so I do not know the exact reason why the sequences were left out of the final cut...nor do I really care. I feel I got my money's worth with the original game, therefore, the DLC is just gravy.
Nevermind the fact that the two segments are CHEAP.

So, to all those that feel "cheated" or are being "milked," (as in cows) A)Pretend that the two segments are "the forgotten adventures of Ezio." See? Does that not feel better? or B) Do not buy the DLC.

Simple solutions to simple (non)problems.

JoeNoSay
12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
So Hassan, anyone with concerns regarding AC2 dlc must have a psychological issue?. Ladies and gents, please take a moment to allow those within the community (with dlc concerns) to collectively stop, drop and roll in order to put out that flame. However since we are psychoanalyzing, I will take a shot at it as well. Going by your standard of psychology, not reading the article and being ok with what seemed to you as a fisnished product suggests you're apathetic and complacent. Sounds silly doesn't it?. Now, as a consumer, I have the right to question anything I have a concern about, period. The fact that you have no problem with the upcoming AC2 dlc in no way negates others concerns. All of that being said, I will be purchasing both DLC's when released. Patrice gets my respect for coming clean about excluding DNA replay and the missing memories due to time constraints. Now, if we can only get the PS3 screen tearing and minor bugs fixed.

Serenity9066
12-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Shun the nonbelievers!

I worked hard to finally be able to get a PS3. Guys remember that time long ago when Nintendo games were 50 bucks to buy? We didn't think much on it since we were kids, and didn't care as long as we had the game.
Look back and now compare those games to what you are buying now.

There IS a reason. Try looking a little harder into it next time, ok? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

New technology = expensive.

Hassan-Sabbah
12-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by JoeNoSay:
So Hassan, anyone with concerns regarding AC2 dlc must have a psychological issue?. Ladies and gents, please take a moment to allow those within the community (with dlc concerns) to collectively stop, drop and roll in order to put out that flame. However since we are psychoanalyzing, I will take a shot at it as well. Going by your standard of psychology, not reading the article and being ok with what seemed to you as a fisnished product suggests you're apathetic and complacent. Sounds silly doesn't it?. Now, as a consumer, I have the right to question anything I have a concern about, period. The fact that you have no problem with the upcoming AC2 dlc in no way negates others concerns. All of that being said, I will be purchasing both DLC's when released. Patrice gets my respect for coming clean about excluding DNA replay and the missing memories due to time constraints. Now, if we can only get the PS3 screen tearing and minor bugs fixed.

Mayhaps you misread my post or I did not type as plainly as I should have (if so, my apologies).
Let me re-state
"If Ubi had never mentioned that the DLC was missing memories, no one would have a problem with it...It would be EXTRA and everyone would be singing songs of glee! Happy day! But, because they are labeling the DLC as missing sequences, "It should have been in the game to begin with."

Search your feelings, you know this to be true...

The "Psychological" thing was meant in jest, of course it is silly...it was meant to be. I am not one for empirical reality and most definetly not one for pigeon-holing individuals. Besides, "issues" does not equate to "wrong." But this is semantics and there is never a point debating that.

Also, my apologies again; I probably have a few more years age-wise than most on this board and I was not aware that stating an opinion was "flaming" somone. No need to go all Webster with the stop, drop, and roll...there was no malicious intent behind the statement.

But, Jungian dabbling aside, I stand by that statement. If it was released as "Extra" content, no one would be saying anything at all about it.

And yes, I do feel the game was complete. Not sure how that suggests that I am "apathetic and complacent" though (but I will agree with the "apathy"...especially where it concerns a VIDEO GAME). It had a beginning, it had a middle, it had an end (well, an Assassin's Creed ending, for what that is worth)and I enjoyed all three. Were we able to play through the game's story? Were we able to understand the game's story? Did we already have 20 some-odd hours of gameplay (estimate)? Yes, I feel that is complete and I recieved from Ubisoft what I payed for.

Some years back Stephen King released a book titled "the Stand." It was 700 or so pages long. A few years after that, he released the Stand again, this time at over 1000 pages. Does this mean those that purchased the original printing were "ripped off" or "milked?" In my opinion, no. It was extraneous chapters that had no bearing on the main story. Again, in my opinion, same thing with ACII.

I will also stand by the statement of "solutions to the (non)problem." If Ubi is this evil entity (which they probably are, most (but not all) corporations are)it really is simple...do not feed the monster by buying their products. Coming to web forums bemoaning how the fans are being "milked" and "ripped off," Alas, will do nothing to change the world. If one feels this strongly that they are being bamboozeled, just do not buy the DLC. It will in no way effect the story you have already spent 20 some-odd hours (estimate) playing through.

I hope that was a bit more clear and a little less offensive to anyone's sensibilities.

You know, reality is 98% perception...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif
(edit: excuse type-o's and grammer. I am at the office and typing this when I should be working!)

An_Idea
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
i read that, thought about posting it but thought some1 would beat me to it lol. ah well, after reading that i wanna meet patrice

for people who r mad that they r releasing stuff as dlc that should be in the origional game

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com...riginal-gameso-what/ (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/12/22/assassins-creed-2-dlc-cut-from-original-gameso-what/)

Maermaethor
12-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I think this means that the PC version will HAVE THE DLC IN IT ALREADY AND BE ABLE TO REPLAY MISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Then I wouldn't care that I had to wait so long for it, I just got extra content.