PDA

View Full Version : A passing thought on F1!!

BoCfuss
02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
This is the year Renault will rise again on the back of Alonso, Hamilton will have a sophomore slump. Atleast that is what I hope to see. It can't get here fast enough. F1 is going in the right direction with getting rid of TC, now they need to get rid of the paddle shifters and go back to the stick. That is all.

DrHerb
02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I read something that the F1 in spain might be suspended due to some stuff that was happening against Lewis Hamilton and some "fans"

Badsight-
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
go back to stick shift ?

already the driver load is increased - no TC

Stiletto-
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I think Renault will have the 3rd best car at best, even Alonso can't bring a car back to the front that is a second slower than the leader, they stated that last year when Fisichella was a little over a second off the pace, they said Alonso at his best would be good for 4/10's but no miracle worker (Fisi and Kovalainen aren't THAT bad).

The car didn't deteriorate simply because Fernadno left, if you looked at the end of the 2006 season when they had their Mass-Damper banned, the handling severely went down, add bridgestone tires into the mix for 2007 and you have a car which is completley different to mechanical setup as to what was a year before.

I think the car will be better than last year, as they are emplying new ideas such as going with a zero keel suspension setup, but at the same time they are going to have to learn how to use these new parts and make them effective.

If you look at the laptimes from Ferrari and especially how blazingly quick Kimi is with the lack of traction-control (he was quicker than Massa's pole time last year without aids in testing), it should be another "red" year. Hopefully this time without all the legal stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BoCfuss
02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Badsight-:
go back to stick shift ?

already the driver load is increased - no TC

Exactly! There would be a missed shift here and there, I think you would see more passing, closer racing, well racing in general. Last year was a funeral procession, less so then the year before but still.

BoCfuss
02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:
I think Renault will have the 3rd best car at best, even Alonso can't bring a car back to the front that is a second slower than the leader, they stated that last year when Fisichella was a little over a second off the pace, they said Alonso at his best would be good for 4/10's but no miracle worker (Fisi and Kovalainen aren't THAT bad).

The car didn't deteriorate simply because Fernadno left, if you looked at the end of the 2006 season when they had their Mass-Damper banned, the handling severely went down, add bridgestone tires into the mix for 2007 and you have a car which is completley different to mechanical setup as to what was a year before.

I think the car will be better than last year, as they are emplying new ideas such as going with a zero keel suspension setup, but at the same time they are going to have to learn how to use these new parts and make them effective.

If you look at the laptimes from Ferrari and especially how blazingly quick Kimi is with the lack of traction-control (he was quicker than Massa's pole time last year without aids in testing), it should be another "red" year. Hopefully this time without all the legal stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kimi is a stud, a boring one, but still. We will see, I really think Alonso will turn Renault around, an opinion based on nothing but what has happened in the past, and the fact that no car sings better then the Renault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BK5RNLsGOQ

I really wish the U.S. had a race. I thought about going to the U.S. Grand Prix last year but I have always hated the Indianapolis Grand Prix course, way too slow in the infield. Brazil would be a good one to go see.

smokincrater
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Bad show that stuff in Spain but then again it`s their right to express their opinon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

My money is on McLaren the boys from Woking had a stiff 2007 but Ron Dennis never gives up. It will interesting to see how the Adrian Newey Red Bulls goes this year. Ferrari power and Adrian Newey chassis. It has always taken a Newey design three years to become a winner (Williams McLaren etc.). So it might only take him two this time. Mark Webber was looking very strong at Fiji until he got torpedoed by his pusedo team mate.

ElAurens
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
The Red Cars FTW.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

danjama
02-06-2008, 04:07 AM
i would be happy if they let them keep traction control and just went back to gear sticks. this paddle **** is ****. not real driving. if they took both, well even better, but i cant see it happening, they will see it as a step backwards.

cant wait for the season to start anyway, obviously i will be behind hamilton, just makes me sick that every single person in the country suddenly knows everything about formula 1 just because they read about hamilton in The Sun....

Billy_BigBoy
02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
So, this topic is not on centering the view, right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Stiletto-
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BoCfuss:
I really wish the U.S. had a race. I thought about going to the U.S. Grand Prix last year but I have always hated the Indianapolis Grand Prix course, way too slow in the infield. Brazil would be a good one to go see.

I live about an hour away from Road America, I have seen F1's in vintage races race there, it is simply awesome, but we will never see an F1 car race at any good American track again, the facilities aren't fancy enough and the tracks aren't baby-proofed enough (not enough chicanes and run off zones)I agree, the Indy roadcourse layout was not very good.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by BoCfuss:
It will interesting to see how the Adrian Newey Red Bulls goes this year. Ferrari power and Adrian Newey chassis.

Redbull actually use Renault power, it is STR that you are thinking of, that use Ferrari power. Newey is a good designer very much indeed but the team itself isn't quite in the class that Williams was in or McLaren were when he designed cars for them, still it look's like it will probably be better than last year. Another team to watch will be Force India, I know you are laughing! But if they actually have more money to spend, Mike Gascoyne could really develope a great car. He is the guy that turned Renault around into a championship team before heading off to the blunder that is Toyota. Vijay Mallya actually payed Fisichella a sum to race for him, when he could have gotten a paydriver in the form of Roldan Rodriguez who would have brought somewhere close to 5 million to the team, so that is a good sign that they aren't totally desperate for income, and hopefully with a new Gascoyne car coming out mid season they might be able to be halfway competitive.

Oh one final though, I believe if Honda didn't pick up Ross Brawn Button and Barrichello might have walked out the door, the car is still uncompetitive, not as bad as last year (though they have to figure out how to set it up). It will take Brawn most of the year to get this team back on the right track, I think they will be fairly ugly for the first 5 races or so.