PDA

View Full Version : Graphics in PF

FallingBricks
07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I have played and enjoyed IL-2: Forgotten Battles, and I have a few questions about the graphics in Pacific Fighters:
1. I heard that it features upgraded graphics over IL-2. I know there is better water effects and shading, but I was wondering if there are any other advantages.
2. Do you still need to use OpenGL to get the optimal graphics settings?
3. Are the graphics retroscaled? So if I pick up Pacific Fighters, will I get the graphical upgrades in an IL-2 campaign.

Bearcat99
07-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Your post is unclear as to whether or not you are running IL2 or FB.... but the best way to go.. especially now is get Forgotten Battles... find The Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion Pack... and get Pacific Fighters. As a stand alone Pacific theater sim from what I hear it leqves a little to be desired... but since I see no sense whatsoever in taking such a great sim and only getting PF.... I cant say. I look at the 3 products as one huge 5CD sim... and that works for me. You still need to run it in open GL.... In my opinion and I cant put my finger on it but it seems that with this last patch (4.01) not only has the FM been changerd for the better but something was done with the graphics, also for the better. So to sum it up... if you are just running IL2 then you will need to get Forgotten Battles and The Aces expansion pack and then Pacific Fighters. Look here (http://www.airwarfare.com/) for images of the packages for esch individual product. Be advised that the Aces Expansion GOLD is Forgotten Battle & The Aces Expansion in one box which usually sells for @ $29 US.. If you already have Forgotten Battles then The Aces Expansion Pack can be had for $9 US at COMP USA if you are in the states. If you already have FB and Aces then getting PF is a no brainer. You wont be sorry.

FallingBricks
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I have Forgotten Battles right now, and I bought Aces at ebgames.com for $5--I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I am thinking about getting Pacific Fighters once the Aces arrives. My local Gamestop has it for $20. Thanks for the reply.

Bearcat99
07-04-2005, 01:42 PM
By all means then get PF. Do an unisntall of FB first... then install FB,ACES, PF patch 3,03 patch 4.01 in that order. The sim is great and you wont be dissapointed. You wont find every map or every plane that participated in the PTO... you have no Avenger but you do have a Dauntless.... but overall with the flight models damage models and graphics I think you will be pleased unless you are running a low end system in which case just adjust the settings a bit. By low end I mean a < 2.0G, NV5600/R9500, 512M-768M or lower system.

Hawggy
07-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Yea dude - buy PF. You'll get more out of the game in the name of graphics, multiplay ability, and overall stability. Those three titles form the WWII Flight Sim Triforce that have yet to be topped.... 'Til BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

jarink
07-04-2005, 04:12 PM
PF is a requirement for the latest 4.01 patch and any future patches, so you'll definitely want to pick it up.

Wilburnator
07-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Since nobody has yet answered your questions, I will.

Yes, you need to run in OpenGL to get the most out of the graphics (perfect mode), and yes, the improvement will show up in FB as well, provided you have the Ace Expantion Pack as well and merge them all.

The graphics udates aren't that huge, and unless you're running a real hot rod video card you probably won't even notice anything.

That said, I would also recommend going ahead and getting it. Carriers are fun.

vocatx
07-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I've got a lower-end system and was worried about being able to run PF because I was barely able to run FB/AEP. I was surprised when I loaded PF in a merged install; my computer actually ran FB/AEP/PF smoother than it had run before, and was able to go up to "excellent" in video settings.

I love the new flight model included in 4.0, but now I'm back to medium, at least when on-line on Pacific maps. Something about the Pacific maps absolutely kills my frame rates.

To sum up my post: YES, by all means get PF and do a combined installation. Like Bearcat said, you then have the complete flight sim; without a doubt, the best WWII combat flight sim there is available. (Until BoB comes out)

heywooood
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
yes - FPS improvements are evident in every patch.

This sim/game runs very smoothly on an average machine with at least 1gig of ram.

But to get new FM and loose the Muzzle flash you need FB/PF merged.