PDA

View Full Version : Video cards and PF



ddsflyer
05-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Wanna see how the various video cards measure up when running Pacific Fighters?

Go here:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-07.html

VW-IceFire
05-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Conclusion...SLI aside, there is little to choose from.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
05-25-2005, 03:52 PM
best bang for the buck is the X800XL hands down

Wolfred
05-25-2005, 05:11 PM
The test didnt show sli and perfect settings, why?
cause half of screen is corupted with sli in S.F.R,
and with A.F.R, game is stuttering, so it must be excelent setting the test is showing us when using 2 graphic cards,

CRSutton
05-27-2005, 11:09 AM
I did not see the 9800 pro there. You mean to say that my six month old video card is already an obsolete pig? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Art-J
05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
The test covers PCI-Express cards only. No place for 9800 Pro here (though I'm curious how it would compare to these ones)

PriK
05-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by KGr.HH-Sunburst:
best bang for the buck is the X800XL hands down

Better look again, that card would be 6600GT for price/performance.

Tallyho1961
05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CRSutton:
I did not see the 9800 pro there. You mean to say that my six month old video card is already an obsolete pig? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Oink. Oink. I noticed the same thing and my 9800PRO is only two months old. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jumoschwanz
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I had a 9700pro and went to a 9800pro when they first came out, must have been at least a year ago? I regretted it, the 9800pro was not that much of a jump for the money. Now I have the X850XTPE, it really kicks the 9800pros a$$ all over the place. I can easily and smoothly run 1200X1600 resolution on perfect now. With the 9800pro on the same rig, I was running 1200X1600 on excellent, perfect the framerates were not there.
Plus the X850XTPE has better picture quality to boot, things look way better no matter what the settings.

It is starting to get tough to find 32-bit motherboards for AMD, and I predict by the end of this year you will not be able to get a MB or video card that has AGP except for low-end replacements to keep old systems going for email and office apps.
If you have a good fast 32-bit system with AGP, like an nforce2 or faster P4 system, this summer is your last chance to get a top-end card to fit your AGP slot.
I figure the AGP X850XTPE I bought will keep my nforce2/xp3200 rig running for another couple years, even if it is not on perfect settings in Bob. This will save me that long from having to spend the cash for a new system, which again will be obsolete anyway in a year. It never ends.........
S!

Jumoschwanz

clayman_52
05-27-2005, 08:28 PM
You have that right Jumoschwanz!

I to feel my X850XT PE (AGP) looks better than my friends 6800 Ultras in AEP/PF... and I feel it's smoother.

But again ... there all close at the top. One really can't go wrong.

Wonder what the X900 series and the next gen NVidia cards will do ... I'm still not a firm believer in SLI.

Like you said ... it never ends!

Dutch60
05-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Sorry I don not want to brag but,

I play at 1600x1200 32bit 4xAA 8xAF.

SLI rules and PF looks awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

(for now) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

CRSutton
05-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I had a 9700pro and went to a 9800pro when they first came out, must have been at least a year ago? I regretted it, the 9800pro was not that much of a jump for the money. Now I have the X850XTPE, it really kicks the 9800pros a$$ all over the place. I can easily and smoothly run 1200X1600 resolution on perfect now. With the 9800pro on the same rig, I was running 1200X1600 on excellent, perfect the framerates were not there.
Plus the X850XTPE has better picture quality to boot, things look way better no matter what the settings.

It is starting to get tough to find 32-bit motherboards for AMD, and I predict by the end of this year you will not be able to get a MB or video card that has AGP except for low-end replacements to keep old systems going for email and office apps.
If you have a good fast 32-bit system with AGP, like an nforce2 or faster P4 system, this summer is your last chance to get a top-end card to fit your AGP slot.
I figure the AGP X850XTPE I bought will keep my nforce2/xp3200 rig running for another couple years, even if it is not on perfect settings in Bob. This will save me that long from having to spend the cash for a new system, which again will be obsolete anyway in a year. It never ends.........
S!

Jumoschwanz


Thanks for the info. I guess I have taken my four year old machine about as far as it is going to go. For now the 9800 pro will have to carry it through the year and then I will buy a new computer. Actually, the 9800 pro with my new 19 inch LED monitor has been a pleasant surprise. There were some serious compatibility problems at first-(half life, Rome Total War), which led to some serious crashes. I am marginally good with computers but had to learn all about reflashing old chips and motherboards. Quite a learning process. But now, it is so much better than my old 64MB Nvida card that I sort of feel like Jed Clampett who come to the big city. I think the most important lession is that no matter what they promise, if you put new technology in an older machine-you better expect some glitches and some time working out the bugs.

Yellonet
05-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CRSutton:
I did not see the 9800 pro there. You mean to say that my six month old video card is already an obsolete pig? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Oink. Oink. I noticed the same thing and my 9800PRO is only two months old. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 9800 Pro is two years old.

jarink
05-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Oh yea?

How about a 4 card rig???
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Gigabyte to support four SLI graphics cards on one motherboard (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050526_155843.html)

It has 4 full length PCI-Express slots. This board will also support 2 of Gigabyte's dual-GPU video cards as an alternative SLI configuration.

clayman_52
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Man, every six months the Vid Card will double themselves ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

JuHa-
05-29-2005, 09:59 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2_24.html

Yet another test, shows a selection of older cards
too.

Dutch60
05-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by clayman_52:
Man, every six months the Vid Card will double themselves ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

The only problem is that the CPU is starting to be the bottleneck while the GPU keeps on doubling there capabilities and capacities.
Maybe in two years when 64bits and dual cores CPU are starting to become main-stream and games start making good juice of dual cores we will see some really new simulators coming to our gaming systems.
One other problem that will arise by then will be the power consumption that will maybe rise to more then a 1000 watt€s. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

PriK
05-29-2005, 01:05 PM
There are already plans for dedicated physics processors that will offload work from the CPU. FB in particular is very CPU bottlenecked as mentioned earlier in this thread and vid cards that cost as much as a mortgage payment are only really offering higher resolutions and free AA+AF.

Did I mention those new clouds are a b**** on framerate. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif