PDA

View Full Version : Could use some advice please

ArielSharon1978
11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I am new to PC, will purchase IL2 pack on friday.

Anyhowz i am learning to fly right now, I read back on a lot of posts and adjusted my controls according to a lot of recommendations (thanx to posters).

-For a beginner flier, should I start flying with on difficulty set to easy? or are there specific diffculties I should leave on or off for a beginner?

-Iam using a Cyborg 3D (im a left hander), i have had it for years, and it seems it would be adqeuate as it has 8like 8 buttons plus **** buttons and pov, does anyone use Cyborg #d and if so could u recommend me the settings you use with it.

Looking forward to learning at an exponential pace so i can get in the skies with you guys.

I haven't played in a flight sim since IAF, (which I loved)

ArielSharon1978
11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I am new to PC, will purchase IL2 pack on friday.

Anyhowz i am learning to fly right now, I read back on a lot of posts and adjusted my controls according to a lot of recommendations (thanx to posters).

-For a beginner flier, should I start flying with on difficulty set to easy? or are there specific diffculties I should leave on or off for a beginner?

-Iam using a Cyborg 3D (im a left hander), i have had it for years, and it seems it would be adqeuate as it has 8like 8 buttons plus **** buttons and pov, does anyone use Cyborg #d and if so could u recommend me the settings you use with it.

Looking forward to learning at an exponential pace so i can get in the skies with you guys.

I haven't played in a flight sim since IAF, (which I loved)

ArielSharon1978
11-07-2004, 03:33 PM
ohh and one super noob question, when flying to waypoint or target, flaps should be at rasied or combat? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
11-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Keep the flaps up while cruising. As far as difficulty goes I would keep as many of the difficult options checked as you feel you can fly with right now, the quicker you get used to them the better.

ArielSharon1978
11-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanx bro

Bearcat99
11-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Start out on normal settings..... you dont want to develope bad habits. Being a rookie is bad enough... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif You can use unlimited ammo for gunnery practice. Just set up a QM with your favorite plane and put the rookie AI in an inferior plane untill you get your gunnery together. Some say practice on friendly bombers but I say that's not a good idea because they dont shoot back, they wont try as hard to avoid you, and that message "Hey watch it thats a friendly you;re shootin at!!" gets quite annoying after about 3 minutes of target practice. Once you get the gunnery down make sure you go back to limited ammo so you can become familiar with the ammo loads. I still use unlimited ammo when I am practicing gunnery. To avoid developing bad habits try to avoid holding the trigger down for more than a second or two. Try to make every shot count.. even if you do have unlimited ammo.... less bad habits to erase later. Also set your gun convergence to no more than 225m.. dont fire on a plane that is more than .30 or .40 out.. also pay attention to the distance on the icon and the size of the plane in your gunsight. It will train your eye to know the distances better. This will come in handy once you start to get this down and you want to step up the challenge factor and dump the icons... youe eye will know when to shoot. If you dont have the shot then dont take it. When just practicing flying use the F3 key... a lot. Not only is it really really cool looking in the flyby, but you can also get a better picture of what your plane is doing as you fly. Remember flaps are for landing, taking off, and comat turns... but in the combat turn thing you have to be very careful to just pop them down for a second.... usually at the beginning of a turn and then raise them agin and dont go beyond combat flpas or yiu risk having them get stuck... then you will be a sitting duck. For bombing practice open up a multiplayer dogfight server offline (yes you can do that.. you can also fly coops as single missions offline with the AI taking up the empty slots, friendly and enemy) for 2 armies. Go in there and pickj the plane of your choice and try to bomb all the enemy bases. The flak is brutal but having the active targets is great practice and if you get shot down or after you drop your eggs and use all your ammo you can go back to a friendly base.... land.. respawn and do it all again. This exercise also helps with learning how to take off and land.. which is not easy to do.. especially if flak has torn a hole in your wing. Good luck and welcome aboard.