PDA

View Full Version : Who is Altair?

mrsmooth_840
07-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Now this may seem like a really obvious, but WHO is Altair? from what I've heard he was soldier(his affiliation, I don't have a clue) before he's an assassin. Now think for a minute, he's a soldier(or at least was one), we don't know who's side he's on. say he was a european, perhaps the name "Altair" was given to him when he joined the guild of Assassins, I don't know, mabye he wasn't a soldier, perhaps he was just a shepard or something like that who was fed up of the fighting, mabye he was captured by the assassin's and then after seeing who they truely were decided to become one. Your thoughts?

crazyrabbit2006
07-16-2006, 12:54 PM
interesting questions... i think they kept alot of him secret to make him more mysterious.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

terminalShock09
07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
People would hike to Alamut (the Assassin castle located on a huge rock) each year with the hope of joining Hassan's cult. For the most part, boys not over 12 would be chosen so that they could be trained from a young age. If the game is as accurate as the creative team likes to say, then Altair would have most likely grown up within the castle walls. Then again, he would also be dressed as a regular joe and/or spending years in one location as a spy and gaining trust until he could kill his mark. And he would wear green back in Alamut. But really, what information can you trust when only your enemies write about you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mrsmooth_840
07-23-2006, 04:26 AM
well, that gives me a little more to go on, but was Altair a real person? was he actually the assassin in 1191 that you play as in AC? I guess we can't know for sure since most of ther'e records were destroyed when the mongols attacked alamut. was it only men who could join the assassin's guild? were women not alowed to fight for what they believe in?

terminalShock09
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Altair is a fictional person. The Assassins had a community within the walls, but at some point in his life, their leader decided to ban all women. Whether there were female fighters before the ban, we don't know. However, he did kick them all out (Even his own wife. He then proceeded to kill his own sons).

CastlevaniaX
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi,

As long as this game will take place in the third crusade, Altair is a person belongs to Assassin's sect that live in Masyaf Castle. The leader of this Sect in Masyaf is a guy called Rashid Bin Sinan. Rashid Bin Sinan died in 1193 AD when the Third crusade was two years back ( 1191 AD ). The founder of this sect is a man called Hassan Bin Subah who died in 1124 Ad so we wouldn't see him in the game since the game would take place in 1191 Ad.

Only to your information,as muslims there are two main sects...Sunna and Shia'. the Assassins belong to Shia'. Historicaly,The goal of creating Assassin's sect is to kill muslim sunna leaders. Assassins teamed up with Crusaders in order to kill muslim leaders ( sunna ).

This is for this day.

Bye<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MDS_Geist
08-06-2006, 12:58 AM
The assassins did not "team up" with the Crusaders but killed them as well. There was no Shi'a-Crusader collusion.

terminalShock09
08-06-2006, 10:27 AM
There was an informal truce for a time, but nothing was written up.

MDS_Geist
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
If by "informal truce" you mean it was harder to kill Crusader leaders for a time that it was to kill a few Muslim enemies then yes. But otherwise no.

terminalShock09
08-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Not so much harder as it wasn't their primary interest. Saladin uniting Egypt and Syria was a much bigger concern for them later on, not to mention the basic Islamic in-fighting being their raison d'√¬™tre. Of course if they hypothetically gained control of the Islamic world, they would turn on the Crusaders the first chance they'd get. However, at that time the westerners were another group of people frustrating the Muslim leaders. The Assassins paid the Templars 2,000 bezants each year so that they would be left alone. The Assassin ambassador (who was killed by a one-eyed Templar) had a royal (Crusader) envoy to get him back home. They obviously didn't have real sentimental feelings for each other, but tactically it was advantageous for both ends at the time. Like I said, there wasn't a formal truce. Just an informal one, which was of course completely shattered as time went on.

etothevizzle
08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
heres some crazy trivia about altair's name i just read:

go here and count down 12 in the Name column (http://www.maa.mhn.de/StarDate/bright_stars.html)

assassinscr2006
08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
i agree altair is very mysterious buti read that altair is arabic language meaning 'eagle'

MDS_Geist
08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by assassinscr2006:
i agree altair is very mysterious buti read that altair is arabic language meaning 'eagle'

That is wrong. There is another thread talking about this. Eagle is nisr. Altair refers to something that flies.

jan_vandevoort
08-20-2006, 04:09 AM
al-tayr means: the bird, in arabic. I'm studiying arabic, so I checked the dictionary.

FableB
08-20-2006, 04:11 AM
I think this should be stickied http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

It is starting to get to my nerves.