PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain View choices?

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Greetings, comrades.
I'm a newcomer to IL2-FB, so please forgive an ignorant question.
The game's Reference Card lists dozens of possible view functions, but I could find no documentation for what they all do.
I can figure out "Look Forward", "Look Up", and experiment showed the difference between Snap and Pan views. But what about all the flavors of Padlock and Chase views? How does "Increase / Decrease Field of View" differ from "Wide View / Normal View"? And what the heck does "FOV 55" mean?
I've tried experimenting with views while playing Track files, and some view functions behaved as I expected, some behaved unexpectedly, and some view keys did nothing at all.
If anyone can point me to a link where these view functions are written up, I'd be most grateful

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Greetings, comrades.
I'm a newcomer to IL2-FB, so please forgive an ignorant question.
The game's Reference Card lists dozens of possible view functions, but I could find no documentation for what they all do.
I can figure out "Look Forward", "Look Up", and experiment showed the difference between Snap and Pan views. But what about all the flavors of Padlock and Chase views? How does "Increase / Decrease Field of View" differ from "Wide View / Normal View"? And what the heck does "FOV 55" mean?
I've tried experimenting with views while playing Track files, and some view functions behaved as I expected, some behaved unexpectedly, and some view keys did nothing at all.
If anyone can point me to a link where these view functions are written up, I'd be most grateful

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:49 PM
There are an amazing array of views and most of them have to be user defined in the controls panel. I found out an stunning level or control detail just from looking at the key options (with an ever drooping jaw)/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FOV means field of view BTW.

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:11pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">"Landing to avoid combat is akin to slicing off yer face to avoid a few punches, dummy."
<Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:9pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">SmokeJaguar: an online battle somewhere over the Kuban </div></center>

Message Edited on 08/29/0305:50PM by SmokeJaguar

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:53 PM
The "Look keys" as you figured out define the direction where the pilot is looking at. The difference between snap and pan views is that with one of them (snap I think) the pilot will look in the direction you choose and when you release the key the pilot will look towards the front of the plane. With pan view, the pilot keeps looking in the selected direction, and you need to press the center key to have him look back to the front.

The FOV (Field of view) keys change the size of your view. Wide view, normal view and gunsight view are three FOV values (90,70 and 30). You can map keys and choose any other between them (e.g. FOV 55). If you map keys for Increase/decrease field of view, you can change the FOV while on flight. I personally only use the three standard views (wide, normal and gunsight).

With the padlock, you will look directly to the enemy or friendly objects, one by one (eat time you press the button you assigned to it). It is very usefull if you are playing without icons (i.e. without labels indicating where the planes are and if they are frendly or foe). I don't use it much, but I know some people do.

Hope this helps. Welcome to IL2/FB!!!

GATO_LOCO

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Sorry, yes... Welcome to the forum sir/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg <CENTER><Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:11pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">"Landing to avoid combat is akin to slicing off yer face to avoid a few punches, dummy."
<Center><div style="width:200;color:F0FFFF;font-size:9pt;filter:glow[color=black,strength=3)">SmokeJaguar: an online battle somewhere over the Kuban </div></center>

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 05:57 PM
The chase view is an external view in which your plane is centered at the middle of the screen and does not move when you change direction. Instead, the rest of the view does. It is supposed to be usefull when chasing another plane. Again, I don't use it much.

GATO_LOCO

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 09:27 PM
OK, thanks for the responses, all.
I was kind of hoping that the original IL2 might have described the views in its manual.
I guess my best recourse will be to spend the upcoming weekend experimenting with any and all possibilities. Not such a hardship!