PDA

View Full Version : Wing hit bug for bombers

smeg2001
05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
There is an annoying bug where if in a bomber or fighter bomber and you get hit on the wing, the aircraft flips almost totally upside down. This is not realistic and only appeared in recent updates. As a real time aircraft technician, I can testify that if such a resultant response to machine gun or cannon fire to the wing of a bomber. The wing would be ripped off as for such a force to flip a medium of heavy bomber upside down would produce a critical failure of the airframe. Moreover, the aircraft has forward momentum. Any disruption to the high and low pressure effects on the aerofoil would be quickly rectified by the ram air working over the wing and the controlled counter maneouvers by the flight controls via the pilot. I find that this is an unrealistic effect that should be addressed as soon as possible. Why is there only a few aircraft that suffer this effect and others do not? IL2, B25, B24 to name a few that are affected. At low altitude there is no room to recover, but at a
reasonable altitude, you can recover the aircraft from such a violent input. Can someone please take this issue up the chain to Oleg?

smeg2001
05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
There is an annoying bug where if in a bomber or fighter bomber and you get hit on the wing, the aircraft flips almost totally upside down. This is not realistic and only appeared in recent updates. As a real time aircraft technician, I can testify that if such a resultant response to machine gun or cannon fire to the wing of a bomber. The wing would be ripped off as for such a force to flip a medium of heavy bomber upside down would produce a critical failure of the airframe. Moreover, the aircraft has forward momentum. Any disruption to the high and low pressure effects on the aerofoil would be quickly rectified by the ram air working over the wing and the controlled counter maneouvers by the flight controls via the pilot. I find that this is an unrealistic effect that should be addressed as soon as possible. Why is there only a few aircraft that suffer this effect and others do not? IL2, B25, B24 to name a few that are affected. At low altitude there is no room to recover, but at a
reasonable altitude, you can recover the aircraft from such a violent input. Can someone please take this issue up the chain to Oleg?

Atomic_Marten
05-22-2005, 11:42 PM
You can see it on many airplanes in game, fighters too (Corsair, H-Cat for example). Whether this is realistic or not I do not know.(most probably it is not, relying on common sense that one or few hits in wing can not flip very heavy fighter off).

AerialTarget
05-23-2005, 01:23 AM
This is the kind of post I like to see!

MS_Siwarrior
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
But when you think about it a 30mm cannon shell going off in your wing when you are travelling at 400kmh has to have some effect on the aerofoil.

AerialTarget
05-23-2005, 04:08 AM
His point is that any force strong enough to flip a bomber that fast is going to blow the wing off. No one said that it shouldn't jerk the plane around a bit.

Flowbee602
05-23-2005, 05:21 AM
It is certainly realistic from a fighter point of view as there are many accounts of fighters being flipped over by the impact of a 20mm cannon strike on the wing. Spitfires and Fw190 pilots both experienced this phenomenon. No idea about bigger planes though.

DRAGON_2_GO
05-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Why would a 20mm shell flip a fighter?
This is not to say you're wrong, but I somehow can't understand this...Why can the impact of less than two pound flip over an aircraft of more than one ton?

Tooz_69GIAP
05-23-2005, 05:52 AM
if you want to report this to Oleg, use the bug report email address given in one of the stickies above.

mynameisroland
05-23-2005, 09:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRAGON_2_GO:
Why would a 20mm shell flip a fighter?
This is not to say you're wrong, but I somehow can't understand this...Why can the impact of less than two pound flip over an aircraft of more than one ton? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its the effect of a shell bursting and influencing the aerilon I think. It strikes the wing and the explosion literally blows the control surface causing the plane to roll, the airflow and lift would be disrupted and the plane would be knocked out of its normal flight maybe

Capt.LoneRanger
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
It happens to a P38, too, even when hit by a 7.6mm MG bullet. It instantly rolls 180 deg and stalls out most of the time, no matter what. It doesn't always happen, but if a hit results in visual damage, you'll have this effect at least 50% of the time.

SeaFireLIV
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I`ve heard of this problem before, but I`ve never experienced it (and I fly alot). I can only assume it happens with larger aircraft since I only fly Spits, I16s, P40s and the like. Even when a wing`s been shot off I don`t see this apparently big effect.

Fennec_P
05-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I've never been able to replicate this effect either (probably because of how little I get hit).

Does anyone have a track of it?

rummyrum
05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Can't tell you how many times I have bailed because of this thinking I had lost a wing. Imagine my surprise to watch an aircraft with two wings glide away.

NonWonderDog
05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
I guess it makes some sense. An exploding shell creates a high pressure region; a large enough shell exploding above or below a wing would have to have an effect on the lift of that wing.

I have no idea what the normal magnitude of this effect would be, but I can't see a 20mm shell flipping a fighter, much less a bomber. But if there are combat accounts of it happening without catastrophic damage, I'm not going to challenge it.

If a P38 spins when it's hit by a mauser round (as Capt.LoneRanger says) something is wrong, but I've NEVER had that happen. I've never had an exploding shell roll a plane more than 30 degrees or so, though.

JunkoIfurita
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Since 3.04m I have noticed this happening occasionally. Don't know about heavy bombers since I rarely fly them, but in the i16, Yak, Spitfire and hurri, it's occasionally happened when coming under the heavy cannons from the Emils or Gustavs.

A heavy hit on the wing, and I roll over like I've lost the wing. Now I make sure I look to the left and right before I bail http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

No idea how realistic this is in reality. It seems, at least on small aircraft (you know - the ones designed for a fast roll, the ones who's airframe can stand up to it without 'tearing apart') to be entirely plausible.

If it's happening on the heavies, then I imagine the phenomenon needs to be tweaked a bit.

Again, I imagine all these arguments won't apply after June once we go under the new flight model.

Perhaps the new stall, turn, etc model will be smooth enough to keep even pundits like AerialTarget satisfied for a few days.

----