PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Gunnery

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I was reading a book called "ACES" and in the book there are records of several top aces from both Axis and Allies.

There are several accounts of top Luftwaffe aces shooting down 7, 8, 9 planes on a single mission...now unless I run into a flock of Storch's, I can't imagine anyone playing FB shooting down 7 or 8 aircraft on a single mission in a Bf-109G on full realistic.

I know these guys were uber aces, however there are many people on this forum with hundreds, thousands of hours on simulations...how realistic is realistic?

Let the fun begin!

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I was reading a book called "ACES" and in the book there are records of several top aces from both Axis and Allies.

There are several accounts of top Luftwaffe aces shooting down 7, 8, 9 planes on a single mission...now unless I run into a flock of Storch's, I can't imagine anyone playing FB shooting down 7 or 8 aircraft on a single mission in a Bf-109G on full realistic.

I know these guys were uber aces, however there are many people on this forum with hundreds, thousands of hours on simulations...how realistic is realistic?

Let the fun begin!

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Note that in a case of a real ace shooting down many planes, most of these are shot down with little or no effort, requiring only a short burst at a non-manuevering target.

In cases where difficult fights against experienced pilots were involved, it would not be as likely for a RL ace to rack up many kills.

But even online against competent pilots, its completely possible to kill many aicraft with limited ammo. You just have to be far more particular about when you're willing to shoot, and the durability of the types of aircraft your are fighting.

Then on the second day, it was made bug free, and He saw that it was good.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 03:44 AM
I think the record is 17 in one day but that is not a single mission.

Often these big tallies included recon planes and obsolete bombers.

In a famous incident Hans Joachim Marseille in a bf109 over Africa shotdown something like 5 USAAF P40's in a single mission .. several without machine guns as his cannon had jammed after teh frist couple.

In this case ..

1) Marseille was a phenominal shot
2) the USAAF pilots had alot less experience because of the way they were rotated back home
3) the thunderbolts were outclassed completely

And finally a score of 4 or 5 kills is possible even for a poor shot like myself in FB so I see no reason why 7 or 8 is unreasonable if you conserve ammo.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Also note that the FB 109F/G is missing 50 cannon shells.

Then on the second day, it was made bug free, and He saw that it was good.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:07 AM
Personally I think its just a case of kill claims being exaggerated.

http://www.globalaging.org/health/world/hongo.jpg

For the love of God! Release the patch already!

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:26 AM
My thoughts are that the damage models/gunnery power are not accurate. It should be hard to hit an object...FB certainly is that, however once hit the lightly armored aircraft like the I-153's and I-16's should go up in flames. I find those FB I-16's to be tough as nails! Along with the Fw-190 as probably the toughest opponent...more so than the Thunderbolt.

The book also details accounts (as nearly all good aces will say) get close...and when you think your too close...get closer. I have collided with aircraft as I was pumping ammo up their tail feathers with little effect...just not right!

Perhaps, there is a major distance factor in damage modeling that isn't accounted for. Just imagine a short burst of 13mm machine gun ammo with a few 20MM cannon rounds for good measure...poof! down you go...not in FB; at least that is not my experience. The Me109, like the lightning, had those guns all pointed in one direction with no convergence to account for. I don't pretend to be a great pilot, but like I said earlier so many folks on this forum fly for hours and hours...many of them are probably as good as these Uber aces in their own cyber world...

Something just doesn't seem right and the non-realistic gunnery is too easy especially from a distance, however up close planes should go down with short well place bursts.

Enough whining for now...

Let the fun begin!

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:35 AM
May be you would enjoy an older game with hit boxes. As in two cannon hits and plane down every time, no matter where the hits happen. It's not possible to model a whole plane, there's a limited amount of essential parts to hit and than has to be with limited weapons, how bigs you CPU? With all it's limits and warts, it's still the best thing going. Show me another game that gets even close.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:35 AM
well

online i usually DO go down with a few short bursts http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

unfortunately i cannot do that in revenge very well as my deflection shooting is so poor I end up putting most of my shots straight in from the six of the target where they are easily absorbed by the rear armor http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif(

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 05:31 AM
I find it not too hard. I can grab a p-47 and BnZ 109s. Those things light up as if they were covered in butane.

-My Mommy said the patch is men being on time. It never comes.
http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/criminal/jacktheripper.jpg<br \>Which Evil Criminal are You? (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/criminal/)