PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Insignias don't show on planes

JG26_Jabo_Fatz
10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't see the squadron insignias being displayed on the planes - something wrong with my setup?

JG26_Jabo_Fatz
10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't see the squadron insignias being displayed on the planes - something wrong with my setup?

Reschke
10-29-2004, 12:00 PM
US aircraft didn't normally show squadron insignia unless they had a squadron noseart like VF-17 did.

Jester_159th
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeah I noticed that the squadron recognition (two letter) markings are missing from most of the RAF/RAAF/RNZAF and RN aircraft. Only the actual sinlge letter aircraft designator shows up.

In some isolated cases this may have been correct, but certainly not as a general rule.

Reschke
10-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Sorry should have qualified my post as saying most USN/USMC aircraft didn't have this however the USAAF did to a degree with their lettering and with paint schemes as well.

Owl_NZ
10-29-2004, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jester_159th:
Yeah I noticed that the squadron recognition (two letter) markings are missing from most of the RAF/RAAF/RNZAF and RN aircraft. Only the actual sinlge letter aircraft designator shows up.

In some isolated cases this may have been correct, but certainly not as a general rule. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
RN had upwards of four letters/numbers on their Pacific Fleet Corsairs/Hellcats/Avengers at the end of the war. In no uncertain terms Oleg told me this could not be done, so it was agreed to leave them blank instead. Maybe if they get time they will change the code and allow me to give them the proper codes but I wouldn't hold your breath on that, as they want to get on with BoB now, not flog a 4-year old+ engine. If they sat here making IL2/AEP/PF perfect they'd never ever build BoB. Plus, it has been pointed out that many things in this engine are a compromise and this is especially true for markings. And to save you asking, I even tried to get them to add that funny "˜" (Greek D IIRC) code letter some RN squadrons had. THAT WILL NOT APPEAR, as it requires rewriting code to permit non-english symbols.

Aussie - most squadrons had three letter codes (two for squadron, one for plane) ie SH-A, LY-P etc. Where they aren't shown is because they didn't use them (or only used them outside of the combat area etc). Same applies for the RAF, because as a general rule the RAF ME & FE didn't use squadron codes, just single letters. This changed depending on circumstances (ie Buffaloes at the start of the Pacific war, some late war squadrons etc but for the most part it was a/c code letter/number only.

The RNZAF dropped all squadron code letters from use in the combat area from the moment they started there with Hudsons in 1942/43. The only a/c the RNZAF had with code letters in that theatre were the three squadrons with Catalinas, 3 Flying Boat O.T.U (based in Fiji/Tonga area had "GF", 5 FB Sqdn had "PA", and 6 FB Sqdn had "XX"). Even under this scheme the RNZAF in PF is far from perfect, the roundels are wrong but might be corrected in the patch depending on 1C, no one has bars on roundels because the engine doesn't allow it IIRC (which is way the default skins are there for the USN/RN a/c with them painted on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ), and aside from a very VERY brief period with RNZAF 4 SU using P-40s in circa September/October/November 1943, the code letters shown on the RNZAF planes are not even remotely near right, either placement-wise and/or size-wise.

As for Insignias, unlike the US, the RAF, RNZAF etc openly banned them from their a/c, on the basis that a shot-down plane with squadron identification marks (ie not codes) would mean enemy intelligence would now that that squadron was deployed in the area, thus indicating possible strength/corroborating spy reports etc. There were some exceptions (usually well away from HQ like 73 Sqdn RAF with their pre-war fuselage flash, another squadron had a leaping panther on the fuselage roundel, and some had squadron badges by the cockpit or on the cowl or the fin). The 300-series + the Canadian Sqdns bore national markings or symbols (the red & white checks on the Polish planes, the Orange Triangle for the Dutch. Maple Leaf for many Canadian units, etc). But as stated already, the RAF was very much against identifying badges/markings, and as such those markings were generally forbidden.

Any other questions? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif