PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters Time Skip feature...

Jumoschwanz
10-22-2004, 09:43 AM
The new Time Skip feature in Pacific Fighters, when activated lets you advance through parts of a mission many times faster than real-time. While it is activated the monitor screen goes black.

What I noticed about Time Skip was that on a powerful rig, it does not advance much if any, faster than simply having the speed set at 8X. I like using the 8X speed advance because you can keep better tabs on what is going on and at what point you want to stop the high speed advance.
On a less powerful rig with a lesser graphics card, the Time Skip feature might work a bit better. No matter what the cpu still has to work out what is happening and where everything is going to be in the future. It will have to do the same amount of work. The latest graphics cards and thier big onboard memory, take almost all the graphics load off the cpu and chipset compared to older stuff.

I am running an: xp3200/nforce2/9800pro/2x10,000rpm raptors on raid0. And I can run 4x or 8x speed often with the graphics still running smoothly, depending on the number of objects in the mission. So I can keep an eye on things.

Just some observations on this feature. And what it is and what it is not. S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
10-22-2004, 09:43 AM
The new Time Skip feature in Pacific Fighters, when activated lets you advance through parts of a mission many times faster than real-time. While it is activated the monitor screen goes black.

What I noticed about Time Skip was that on a powerful rig, it does not advance much if any, faster than simply having the speed set at 8X. I like using the 8X speed advance because you can keep better tabs on what is going on and at what point you want to stop the high speed advance.
On a less powerful rig with a lesser graphics card, the Time Skip feature might work a bit better. No matter what the cpu still has to work out what is happening and where everything is going to be in the future. It will have to do the same amount of work. The latest graphics cards and thier big onboard memory, take almost all the graphics load off the cpu and chipset compared to older stuff.

I am running an: xp3200/nforce2/9800pro/2x10,000rpm raptors on raid0. And I can run 4x or 8x speed often with the graphics still running smoothly, depending on the number of objects in the mission. So I can keep an eye on things.

Just some observations on this feature. And what it is and what it is not. S!

Jumoschwanz